Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
For one, some of you are pathologically unable to process the fact that other people might seriously think differently than you do (your comment being another example of that), and that is a constant source of fascination for me.
I don't appreciate and respect opinions of Fallout 3 lovers, console players, niggers and other animals. Cry me a river.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am neither, but I am here mostly for fun though.

For one, some of you are pathologically unable to process the fact that other people might seriously think differently than you do (your comment being another example of that), and that is a constant source of fascination for me.
It cracks me up every time when a newplant like you comes to the Codex, sees all the hot opinions which do not match the mainstream opinion at all, and the first thing that springs to your mind after dealing with such different contrarian opinions is that you are dealing with a circlejerk which does not tolerate different opinions.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Nope.
If I had just one sentence to describe the essence of a well designed large enemy encounter in SS then it would be: a high number of decisions the player has to make in a unit of time in a constantly changing environment.
It's achieved by:
- giving the player weapons with different strengths and weaknesses;
- throwing at the player hordes of enemies (preferably from various directions) of various types that require different weapons to kill them most effectively;
- a relatively large open space (preferably with few or no obstructions and places to hide).
Those elements create a CONSTANTLY changing scenario where you are forced to be aware of everything that happens around you and to CONSTANTLY make decisions about which weapon to use in the current moment and how to dodge, based on what kind of enemies you are facing, how they are located, what weapons you have, how much ammo, how much health, how powerups are located around the arena etc.
[...]
And the fun in SS is not supposed to come from exploring the level while feeling a sense of dread or suspense and fighting small groups or individual enemies that are baring your way. The real fun comes from those tens and hundreds of small decisions that you make during a single large encounter. The more decisions (up to a point) you have to make in a unit of time, the more the fun.

Yeah except the Doom 2 design is inclusive of all this, and a lot more. That's the superiority that you get with actual level design - you can make areas with large arenas where all hell breaks loose,
Not to the level and quantity of Serious Sam.
without straitjacketing the player into the boring experience of doing this for the entirety of the game.
And that's where a personal opinion enters. For you it may be boring. For me arenas where all hell breaks loose are the meat of the game (more complex levels that result in a less hectic and more easily controllable gameplay are at the second place of importance, level exploration is at the third).

What are we arguing about, again? If you're trying to say "Serious Sam is as good as Doom but just different", then, well, you can't.
Serious Sam has level design that serves its purpose. Doesn't need to be compared to Doom.

My point was, and remains, simple. "Shoving a bunch of monsters in a big empty room or open space and then locking it until player kills them" insults the very concept of "design"
Maybe if you are a level designer and you want to compare your level-design-dick size or you approach your dogmas of level design religiously. In the real, practical world design must serve a purpose. Like I've said, the design of Serious Sam serves its purpose well enough.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
Judging from TB's video, it plays and looks more like Unreal Tournament with its double jumps and wall running than Doom (although in a good way), hell map looked decent enough in terms of geometry, are UAC maps much worse? MP is so bad though.. turtle speed and RL that hits for 30 hp, people who made it never played doom in their lives, i guess.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Multiplayer was developed by an external team, the sames who did halo and cod multiplayer:M

Map design is decent to great throughout the game.

Durandal

Arcane
I don't think there's any bunnyhopping/jumping techniques in D44M at that point in the game, let alone any reason to jump around like a retard aside from creating the illusion that it contributes to speed gain

Perkel

Arcane
I don't think there's any bunnyhopping/jumping techniques in D44M at that point in the game, let alone any reason to jump around like a retard aside from creating the illusion that it contributes to speed gain

Have you ever played Q3 or any arena shooter ?
Usually it is way harder to target people vertically than horizontally. Especially if you want to get headshot. Also it protects your back and reduces damage from rockets targeting ground.

Durandal

Arcane

Have you ever played Q3 or any arena shooter ?
Usually it is way harder to target people vertically than horizontally. Especially if you want to get headshot. Also it protects your back and reduces damage from rockets targeting ground.
except we're talking about the singleplayer mode, not the multiplayer where it makes sense to jump all the time

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Honestly, this game looks pretty fun. The MP demo was a catastrophe, but the single player looks much, much better. I'll be sure to buy the game when it's on sale.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I enjoyed the new Wolf + its expansion for the most part, so if Machinegames worked on this then it might be worth a look.

Next classic id shooter they should reboot is Heretic.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Both Heretic and Hexen IPs are owned by id and thus by Bethesda, which is why Heretic and Hexen are still available on Steam. Licensing issues exist for some individual games, such as Heretic 2 and Wolfenstein 2009, which is why those games aren't being sold right now.

Seeing an assault rifle in DOOM is just so... wrong to me.
Um.. Originally Doom was meant to have assault riffle, it was even present in some beta version, but it was eventually removed as it was made obsolete by chaingun.
latest

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Instead we have a pistol that's made obsolete by everything else, even just plain running and avoiding enemies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom