Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The new Alice game is pretty fucking awesome.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
McGee has been questioning people about possible Alice 3 Kickstarter

Alice Fans,
Questions for you:
1) If we could get the rights from EA, would you play "Alice 3?"
2) If you'd play "Alice 3," would you back it on Kickstarter?
3) If you said "yes" to those two things, make some noise - I'm trying to gauge interest in case I happen to discuss this with EA during GDC in 2 weeks. The more interest there is, the more seriously they'll take the conversation.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...t=a.10150264827797075.336011.540107074&type=1

Garm

Learned

Alice Fans,
Questions for you:
3) If you said "yes" to those two things, make some noise - I'm trying to gauge interest in case I happen to discuss this with EA during GDC in 2 weeks. The more interest there is, the more seriously they'll take the conversation.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...t=a.10150264827797075.336011.540107074&type=1

I thought he formed some Chinese F2P developer thing...guess that failed. LOL.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected

Alice Fans,
Questions for you:

From Wikipedia

"In June 2012, McGee reiterated his intention to develop a third game, now titled Alice in Otherland. McGee revealed that the game would be released episodically, and stated that it "would allow Alice to go into the minds of all these characters she encounters, and it opens up the possibility where you could play as Alice and you can enter into a player's mind, change the landscape, and then basically psychologically adjust the character in doing so. Imagine an MMO where the missions aren't locations, but they're people." However, he said that the game was unlikely to be produced soon due to a lack of interest from Electronic Arts."

Hmm...

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
2e2f9lk.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
American McGee Discusses A Potential Final Return To Wonderland In Alice 3
Veteran game developer American McGee talks about his vision for Alice 3 in this exclusive interview.

American McGee will be making the rounds at GDC 2013 for his annual pilgrimage to the United States. The veteran game developer, who helped forge the first-person shooter genre while at id Software with games like Doom and Quake, has been living in Shanghai for years now and running a successful game development business with Spicy Horse.

Currently, he has four games in development (including a brand new one that will debut at GDC) – as well as BigHead BASH, Crazy Fairies, and Akaneiro: Demon Hunters.

One of the meetings McGee has set up for GDC is with Electronic Arts, the game publisher that owns the rights to his unique take on the Alice in Wonderland mythology. After a pair of games, McGee would like to return to Wonderland one last time to finish the story of Alice. After posting a Facebook query to his community of fans, it looks like many gamers are eager to jump back through the rabbit hole, as well.

McGee talks about his take on Alice 3 and why he’d love to utilize Kickstarter to get fans involved in the journey in this exclusive interview.

What are your thoughts on the reaction your Alice 3 Facebook post has had so far?

McGee: "I only wish my friends and fans would get that excited about our non-Alice projects! Seriously, when I announce something related to our other games those 8,000+ "friends" and followers are quiet like church mice. When I make the slightest mention of another Alice project the comments and shares come so fast the update "dings" sound like an alarm clock! So, it's wonderful to see that degree of interest and support - and it confirms my hunch that we could make a successful Kickstarter campaign around pretty much anything Alice."

Why did you decide to ask gamers about this franchise after focusing on mobile and original games lately?

McGee: "It's as simple as what I said in the original post - exploring the idea and meeting with some guys at EA to discuss in detail during GDC. Nothing's committed and chances are slim something will come out of this immediately (if ever), but going into the meeting with a couple dozen articles on the topic and 3,500 "likes" on the idea won't hurt.

"With regards to our online and mobile efforts - I see these things dovetailing quite nicely. The first two Alice games focused on single-player because that's what made sense for the story (how exactly would multiple characters live inside Alice's head at the same time). For the new game concept we're exploring "Otherlands," meaning we're using Alice's powers to gain access other people's mental landscapes. That being the case, there's a way we can turn the adventure into something that allows co-op play and player created content to be presented in really interesting ways across multiple devices and platforms."

What is it about Alice that you find interesting?

McGee: "My original hope for the franchise was that it would provide an opportunity to leverage 3D game technology for something other than gun toting rampages through space stations or battlefields. She also represents (in my opinion) one of the more interesting and engaging video game characters because there's a depth to her as a character and (as the first two games have proven) a lot of variety to be found in the worlds she creates and explores. The world and characters still have a lot of story left in them. So long as we don't kill or lobotomize Alice, she'll have interesting adventures to share."

How long have you been thinking about a potential direction for another Alice sequel?

McGee: "Since the narrative work was being done on the second Alice game I've been thinking about a third installment to "close the loop." Alice is on a classic hero's journey, broken into three distinct and meaningful phases. The first game was about mastering the psychological - we saw Alice battling mental demons in Wonderland. The second was about overcoming obstacles in the physical world - her defeat of the real-world bad guy secured that domain. The third game would combine the psychological and physical, allowing us to present Alice as a sort of mind hopping superhero able to invade Otherlands - the mental landscapes of people around her."

What are your thoughts on what Kickstarter has opened up for you as a development studio?

McGee: "More than anything, it's provided a unique and valuable way for us to engage with our audience. The communication we've built and maintained with our backers has been really wonderful."

What role could Kickstarter, and fan feedback, play in Alice 3 potentially?

McGee: "Hard to say at this point as we're still in a very early exploratory phase. EA owns the Alice franchise, so to pull off crowd source funding would require some innovative licensing and legal acrobatics all-round. That being said, if EA's willing to license us the IP and the audience is willing to back the production, we could end up doing something quite historic.

"With all the negative press "big corporations" are getting these days, there could be a win-win in here for everyone - EA benefits from appearing to be flexible, a developer (that's us) gets to work on something they love and the audience gets direct involvement in a development with the possibility of showing the world what happens when indies and fans take the reins. We're seeing this work wonderfully with Akaneiro - I'd love nothing more than to now apply that process and engagement to Alice."

http://www.gameskinny.com/h95c7/ame...tential-final-return-to-wonderland-in-alice-3

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alice itself is public domain (the whole reason it got used for a game). If they never call it a sequel or reuse assets, i don't see why not (probably also not use the name 'Mcgee', you whore).

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
In the game, we once again assume the role of Alice Liddell, the young lady who in the previous two games fought to reclaim control of her mind. Having cured herself, she returns to the asylum, where she was once tormented, to enter the minds of inmates and patients. The game is scheduled to have a full-fledged singleplayer mode, which will cost $25 dollars and requires a one-time log in to activate the game, after which it will be playable offline. Whether this means the multiplayer will be sold separately in unknown, but what Spicy Horse did confirm is that they will be making plenty of DLC in the form of various dresses. Some comments also indicate that the DLC might come in the form of small, episodic chapters, though it’s uncertain if those comments were serious or not. Aside from the activation, no further DRM methods will be implemented.

What kind of form the multiplayer will be taking on is, so far, unknown and it seems to be slowly pushed to the side due to fans fearing it would become the focus of the game. Previous statements claimed it would allow the player to create their own maps and have people play them, which would make it a very depressing version of Little Big Planet, but others, like a recent interview with VG247, indicate that the multiplayer would focus on competitive combat with support for clans and tournaments. Either way, it appears that multiplayer might become a stretch goal for the Kickstarter, which itself will have an asking price of $1.5m.

1370864615698pbad0.jpg

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
McGee's Alice to get a Kickstarter for a film.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/15/american-mcgees-ozombie-kickstarter-canceled-alice-movie-kicks/

The deal is that McGee’s game studio Spicy Horse pays $500,000 to Collision in $100,000 increments over the course of four years, with the initial payment upfront. That initial payment earns Spicy Horse the rights to make animated short films based on McGee’s vision of Alice, exemplified in the games American McGee’s Alice and Alice: Madness Returns. Once the full amount is paid, film rights revert wholly back to McGee. Until that point, though, if Spicy Horse misses a payment, the deal is off.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...-a-film-but-he-needs-help-getting-the-rights/

yellowcake

Arcane
I started it today and got some time into the clocky theme. I like it so far but this game is certainly not as good as Psychonauts. The environment and art direction is prettier but everything else is worse. The controls are unresponsive and the mouse lags (I don't remember having any problems with controls in P). The gameplay is simplier - you just do some jumping and bash some objects afterwards (reskinned in different levels). Theres not much connection between gameplay and narrative like there was in P where you were constantly in connection with one NPC or the other and doing tasks for them and you could see that your actions are actually pushing the narrative to some resolve.

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself and will go on (mostly because my weak spot for young girls), but I want to stress that console platformers converted to PC can be made better than this vide Psychonauts (especially controls which is a technicality FFS. Why they work worse now than they did 10 yrs ago is a mystery).

spekkio

Arcane
the mouse lags
You can disable "mouse smoothing" in /MyDocs/My Games/Alice MR/AliceGame/Config/AliceInput.ini

Just set "bEnableMouseSmoothing=" to 'false' (and make the file read only - as long as your control scheme is set).

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
INI-files here: \Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\

Disable Vsync:
In file AliceEngine.ini change InUseVsync=False
In file AliceEngine.ini change UseVsync=False

Disable capped 30fps:
In file AliceEngine.ini under [Engine.Engine] change bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE to FALSE
In file AliceEngine.ini under [UnrealEd.UnrealEdEngine] change bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE to FALSE

Disable mouse acceleration:
In file AliceInput.ini change bEnableMouseSmoothing=TRUE to FALSE

-

IF YOU WANT TO BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN ABOUT FPS:

In file AliceEngine.ini under [Engine.Engine] change MaxSmoothedFrameRate=31 to any value you want
In file AliceEngine.ini under [UnrealEd.UnrealEdEngine] change MaxSmoothedFrameRate=31.000000 to any value you want

-

REMEMBER TO MARK THE FILE ALICEENGINE.INI AS READ ONLY AFTER CHANGING IT OR THE GAME WILL REVERT IT BACK

To unlock the DLCs change the "false" value in DefaultEngine.ini to "true" if it isn't and make it read only.

C:\...\EA Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config

DefaultEngine.ini file, scroll to the bottom

[AliceGame.AliceGameEngine]
Alice1Path=..\..\..\Alice1\bin
GIsSpecialPCEdition=FALSE to TRUE

Startupmovies put ; at start

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah, I'm playing the game ATM and the controls are quite bad (certainly made for a gamepad).
But what enrages me much more is the constant loading/caching. Maybe it's caused by disabled FPS cap (so I get steady 60 FPS), but I doubt it.
I also get frequent crashes when running the game.

And some people were complaining about Alice 1 being bad. At least it was using glorious Quake 3 engine.

:flamesaw:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played Alice 2 with a gamepad and really enjoyed it. Kind of dragged on though, I quit before the end. I think I was near the finish but just had to play something else by that point.

Really liked it though. Didn't have an technical issues or crashing. Honestly I never have game crashes though. I must have super leet computer skillz.

Diablo169

Arcane
The whole kickstarter seems fairly retarded. They talk about using it as a measuring stick to see if people are still interested in another Alice game. People interested in the game might not give a shit about a short movie.......

So if this kickstarter fails that's some sort of indication that people don't want a sequel? Cause seriously Nintendo stopped making Mario games when the film flopped.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
I want another Alice game :(. Loved the first two games (the second one being the only reason i'd buy an EA published game ever again). Would love to see a third, but barring that, hopefully this kickstarter works out. Is 200k really enough to create an animated film, though? Unless McGee is supplementing it with his own cash or using chinese sweatshop labor, the number seems a little low.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
The deal is that McGee’s game studio Spicy Horse pays $500,000 to Collision in $100,000 increments over the course of four years, with the initial payment upfront. That initial payment earns Spicy Horse the rights to make animated short films based on McGee’s vision of Alice, exemplified in the games American McGee’s Alice and Alice: Madness Returns. Once the full amount is paid, film rights revert wholly back to McGee. Until that point, though, if Spicy Horse misses a payment, the deal is off.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...-a-film-but-he-needs-help-getting-the-rights/

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would rather see American McGee come up with something new than keep rehashing Alice, but I'm starting to think he doesn't have any other ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom