Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The new Alice game is pretty fucking awesome.

TripJack

Hedonist
this game sounds pretty sweet too bad it probably won't run on this ancient piece of shit

Eyeball

Arcane
A few different ways to interpret the ending, IMO. Don't read the spoiler below unless you've played through the game, the story late in the game should not be revealed.

1. Alice never actually killed Bumby and is merely imagining the entire thing, being institutionalised somewhere.

2. Alice did confront Bumby at the train station but then lapsed into delusions as is evident from her dress changing and never got around to killing him, instead retreating into her familiar Wonderland, where the game ends. See the ending to Terry Gilliam's Brazil for comparison, which may be what inspired McGee.

3. Alice DID kill Bumby and has thus repaired her broken mind somewhat, as Wonderland looks beautiful once more without lava and ooze everywhere. Whether she's stuck here and whether she'll ever be sane is another matter.

4. Alice DID kill Bumby but simply made up all the stuff about him being a vicious paedophile and rapist. He is her shrink and a plausible focus for delusional fury caused by her feelings of guilt over surviving the death of her family. The girl's a nutburger!

Either way, the Cheshire Cat got the last laugh - his Wonderland is restored and Alice is seemingly trapped in there now, for better or worse.

All in all, I got a very Sanitarium-like feel from the storyline. Easiest way to describe the game would be a Psychonauts/Sanitarium mix.

Delurking to chip in here.

For me , this game is firmly in the flawed gem category. Gorgeous, but something in the gameplay just doesn't work. There's actually a lot of gameplay variation with the side scrolling bits, and the dolls-head bits, and the weapons and enemy attacks/weaknesses, but still something just doesn't quite gel.

Regarding the ending speculation:

I don't think it's right to say Bumby is a pedophile. There is plenty in the memories to suggest Alice's sister was much older than her:
- "Too old to be a playmate" comment from one of the doctors
- Sister sneaking out at night after parents fall asleep at 10pm, while Alice is still drawn as pre-pubescent in the memory movies
- Sister dating university students with cold hands (possibly Bumby?)

Also, it's pretty clear Alice is something like mid 20's by the time of Madness Returns, so his plans to rent her out don't count as kiddie fiddling either.

Then again, who knows how early the numbered kids in the orphanage went on the market?

Alice's voice actor was Susie Brann, the same girl who did female Hawke in DA2.

(I thought sarcastic fem Hawke's voice was probably the best thing about DA2)

abnaxus said:
ImmoralMechanic said:
Alice's voice actor was Susie Brann, the same girl who did female Hawke in DA2.
Nope, female Hawke was voiced by Jo Wyatt.

Oh dear. My first post is false. At least I've left room for :incline:

ImmoralMechanic said:
(I thought sarcastic fem Hawke's voice was probably the best thing about DA2)

abnaxus said:
.. female Hawke was voiced by Jo Wyatt. And quite horribly at that.

These are not contradictory statements.

Back on topic, did anyone else think Alice borrowed a bit too much from Psychonauts?

-an underwater level with similar coral and clams, and very similar coral walls to smash
-a level where you must get the elements together for a theatre show
-a level where you are really big and stomp on little creatures and buildings (with a similar music melody in both)
-Psychonauts had an underwater level where you had to stay in a moving air bubble or you'd take damage, Alice had an underwater level were you had to stay in a moving light bubble or you'd take damage
-Carpenter looks just like Raz's father
-Fish at the theatre look like lungfishopolis residents
-an asylum level with freaky room geometry

BonziBUDDY

Scholar
ImmoralMechanic said:
Back on topic, did anyone else think Alice borrowed a bit too much from Psychonauts?

yup.

Raz.jpg

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Am I just imagining things or does Alice in this game look exactly like Amy Lee?

Look at Alice's face, especially in Chapter 2, then look at Evanescence's underwater video...

BTW I retracted my earlier view, the game is indeed awesome it just needs some "tweaking" to work properly.

ChristofferC

Magister
I'm playing this game now and I am still in the first chapter. The presentation is fantastic, but I don't like the claustrophobic and linear level design, the invisible walls and the uninspired platforming. I hope it gets better later on.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's okay, although the only good thing about it is dubbing and atmosphere with art direction. I'd rather skip it and play the second game.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Fucking fuck my resist spoiler check failed and took a quick glimpse at the stuff above. Hope it doesn't ruin the WHOLE story? I am just starting chapter 2.

The game lacking manual save and being not possible to backtrack gave me rages because I miss a few memories and stuff, until I realize that classic platformers don't allow backtracking either.

Alice is fucking hot. Fucking fucking hot. Looks like Japan 3d hentai girls, but only hotter. Is the character model makers Chinese too? Any hentai material of Alice yet?

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
First one is a 7/10, with GREAT art direction. Linear corridor shooter with excellent responsive fighting (for it's time) and a type of look & feel that keeps you going...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Alice is fucking hot. Fucking fucking hot. Looks like Japan 3d hentai girls, but only hotter. Is the character model makers Chinese too? Any hentai material of Alice yet?
And now I understand why nobody agrees that this is a bad game with pretty graphics.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
kingcomrade said:
And now I understand why nobody agrees that this is a bad game with pretty graphics.

Mona Lisa was a bad painting with pretty graphics.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
kingcomrade said:

NPC_6041_m_RannosDavi.jpg

"Bad gaem. Pretty graphix."

anus_pounder

Arcane
Heresiarch said:
Fucking fuck my resist spoiler check failed and took a quick glimpse at the stuff above. Hope it doesn't ruin the WHOLE story? I am just starting chapter 2.

The game lacking manual save and being not possible to backtrack gave me rages because I miss a few memories and stuff, until I realize that classic platformers don't allow backtracking either.

:bro: :bro: :bro:

anus_pounder

Arcane
poocolator said:
You people are moronic if you think the game's worth playing solely because the new anime Alice appeals to your fucking genitals.

Grow some taste buds before you put on that monocle.

ASIAN%20HERO4.jpg

Seriously though, I have no idea how good the game is. I have it, but haven't got around to installing it yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom