Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Nature of The Codex - 2010 Top 5 Results

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Jaesun said:
An Amnesiac Immortal Vampire scouring the Post Apocalyptic wastes searching for clues from a ring that lead him to a lost Steam Punk civilization...
while having access to all disciplines from redemption and the whole arcane spell list of BG2 because he's a vampire wizard

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Grunker said:
Baldur's Gate II had an open world, supported multiple builds and solutions, and was quite huge in terms of content. Now compare this to the stuff the Codex' has in mind when it uses the term Biowhore.
"Biowhore" was the company that made the "Inbred Engine" games :decline: . It's a very old term. I remember using it after BG2 was released and it was used on the KKKodex as early as in 2003 which is long before the ME and DA.

bhlaab said:
You know what would be cool is if someone made a new rpg that was good
What about the Geneforge series?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Jaesun said:
An Amnesiac Immortal Vampire scouring the Post Apocalyptic wastes searching for clues from a ring that lead him to a lost Steam Punk civilization...
while having access to all disciplines from redemption and the whole arcane spell list of BG2 because he's a vampire wizard

:lol: At least VD knows what to do for his next game (after AoD and his Sci-Fi one).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Grunker said:
Baldur's Gate II had an open world, supported multiple builds and solutions, and was quite huge in terms of content. Now compare this to the stuff the Codex' has in mind when it uses the term Biowhore.
"Biowhore" was the company that made the "Inbred Engine" games :decline: .

Whatever you say mister :)

Jaesun said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Jaesun said:

:lol: At least VD knows what to do for his next game (after AoD and his Sci-Fi one).

Are you kidding me? I think you two geniuses just unveiled the plot behind AoD.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"I have high standards" and "I love Torment" is an impressive example of doublethink. I hope one day another developer makes another weird, linear, excessively simple-yet-unbalanced, story-driven, pseudo-philosophical role playing solitaire adventure gamebook-simulator with overly-long unnatural dialogue so I can be tricked into playing it and call it lacking as well (this sentence is a parody).

I'm glad Arcanum's still part of the trinity though, I'd have more inflammatory things to say if Bloodlines moved it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Grunker said:
bhlaab said:
You know what would be cool is if someone made a new rpg that was good

How come nobody thought of this until now

So.. A Vampire Hunter D RPG?

Zomg

Arbiter
Darklands and DS:SL are gonna jump out from behind a dumpster and beat NWN to death.

yaster

Liturgist
DriacKin said:
It saddens me to see MotB get less love than Torment...

Patience is a virtue. It took VtmB 6 years to be appreciated enough to break into top5. People around here are sceptic about new games, and I think they tends to underrate new games they like just because, they are insecure about their own opinion. Old games tends to be accounted for mostly by their strong sides, new games are evaluated by their flaws, no matter how small. At least that is how I see it.

Either way, imho 33 votes is no bad at all for 3 years old game.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Roguey said:
"I have high standards" and "I love Torment" is an impressive example of doublethink. I hope one day another developer makes another weird, linear, excessively simple-yet-unbalanced, story-driven, pseudo-philosophical role playing solitaire adventure gamebook-simulator with overly-long unnatural dialogue so I can be tricked into playing it and call it lacking as well (this sentence is a parody).

I'm glad Arcanum's still part of the trinity though, I'd have more inflammatory things to say if Bloodlines moved it.

You are p. elite, I agree with you actually. I think Torment is well-written mind you, but it's well-written because it has barely any competition. And it IS a jRpgs, adventure type of game. I'm not sure why it's so high on the list, as a rpg it fails. Personally I couldn't give a shit less, and for example I don't even like Arcanum that much even if I recognize that it is a superior rpg. I thought the Codex was about imposing design standards on the rest of the world, thus enabling us to stand on our high horses as we judge down anything that doesn't reach those standards. Putting in Torment as a first-rate rpg kind of fails miserably to reach this goal, although I do guess Torment does have some stats-check, better than say a Bioware game, but even then.

You'd think that because this is the new shit, post-modern Codex it'd be nothing that surprising, as we have lost our spiritual autority (Saint Proverbius, VD) and must cope by moping around... but Torment always was in top 5s. I really don't understand it, guess the Codex is a little more than just a dead-inside empiricist programmer :M

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Mass Effect 2 with 1 less vote than Betrayal at Krondor and 1 more than Ultima Underworld

FFS

Be grateful we haven't a larger statistical sampling.

The dumbfucks would win, placing ME2 Fallout 3 Oblivion firmly on the throne.

:x

Edit: I blocked beth from my mind

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" probably all Volly and Skyway alts. "

Fuck off you piece of fuckin' shit. I don't use fuckin' alts, if I bothered to just to cheaty in this bullshit voting, I fuckin' guarnatee you NWN would have won in a fuckin' ladlside.

Call me a douche. A moron. A fanboy. A ool. An idiot. But, don't you fuckin' accuse me of fuckin' alt making. So fuck off. FFS

Anyways, the list just proves how so far up its own azz Codex is. FFS

How could a game - BL (as much as I like it) - that has one of the worst combat systems EVER make it into a TOP FIVE list. FFS

NWN, btw, is the only REAL RPG on that fuckin' list.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Zomg

Arbiter
Serious_Business said:
[Putting in Torment as a first-rate rpg kind of fails miserably to reach this goal, although I do guess Torment does have some stats-check, better than say a Bioware game, but even then.

That's all bullshit, every definition-of-an-RPG argument anyone ever stuck on the Codex is just ephemera wrapped around justifying that game you like and pissing on the ones you don't.

Could have sworn there was at least 2 votes for Ultima V, if not more.....Jaesun? Am I correct?

I think the poll sums up the Codex fairly well though. All three of the darlings represent 3 of the main camps in this place.

Fallout: Fairly decent turn based combat, character building, CnC, Futuristic setting. Mutations. Use of character skills.

Torment: Story, Story and Story. Different setting. Different characters. Girl with tail. Girl with wings. Walking Television. Floating Skull. Japan. Nippon. Desu.

Arcanum: CnC, Story, different setting, character builds galore. Monocles. Top Hats. Smoking Jackets. Use of character skills.

It depends what mix you enjoy. Overall, the storyfags are usually the loudest (very fitting when you think about it), yet deep down inside, there is a (somewhat) harder core of more quiet followers.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Blackadder said:
Could have sworn there was at least 2 votes for Ultima V, if not more.....Jaesun? Am I correct?

My apologies friend, but there were indeed 4 votes for Ultima V (I have updated the list of 21 to 41 on page 2).

I recounted the top 10 list 6 times just to be damn sure it was accurate, the rest might have a few errors or omissions, I shall make sure it is accurate tomorrow for those morbidly interested. Most of the 11 to 20 are fairly accurate. 21 to 41 were a one pass so prone to errors sorry.

Destroid

Arcane
Looking at this list I now realise how lucky I was growing up in which games I played, purely by chance.

Ultima VII (Serpents Isle) was my first RPG I ever played, gifted to me by one of my mothers friends. Played it to death, had a ball but never finished it because I was 13 years old or something.

Next was Fallout and Fallout 2, played to death as you might expect.

Next I dabbled with some games like BG, IWD, Pools of Radiance. Didn't get into them.

Bloodlines and Arcanum followed, which I enjoyed but didn't play through to completion. Last was Planescape: Torment which I was liking a lot for it's interesting dialogues but I lost my saves and stopped playing :(.

Now I am finally playing through Deus Ex and having a great time. Despite not really being into the RPG genre, I've stumbled upon all the greats and spent little time playing the lesser quality titles. I should probably go back and finish a few of these.

Shannow

Waster of Time
No surprizes here. The codex puts crap games together with awesomes games in its top list.

Anyway, Jaesun put everything together so nicely, can we sticky this?

mister_matt

Educated
I feel like I am misunderstanding what the RPG criteria are. Would someone please explain to me what the codex expects from a game before it can be called an RPG?

I joined these forums a couple days ago, and I'm finding myself questioning what makes a game an RPG. Why is oblivion seen as complete horse shit, but the buggy mess known as Arcanum is part of the 'holy trinity' of role playing games? I feel like I'm missing a big piece of the thought process. Could someone clue me in?

A majority of the RPG's that I've been exposed to have been jRPGs. Before you get your eyebrows in a twist reading that, I'm not attached to them because of some bullshit weeaboo baggage, but because they are what I grew up playing. Is it the varying level of customization a game gives you that makes it an RPG? Open endedness, in depth character creation, etc?

I suppose if I didn't cut this bullshit short I would eventually arrive at something like this: Why is it that the top five stays the same? What is it about these games that I am missing?

They claim it is Choices and Consequences that make an RPG. But it's bullshit. Because classic RPGs don't have C&C really. Nothing that big really. Even new stuff doesn't either. I say that stats have something to do with an RPG. It just does. I mean shit, name one RPG without stats. Not all games with stats are RPGs but all RPGs have stats. That's just one part of an RPG, but stats is one. Maybe an emphasis on story is another? Changeable equipment and other customizable options. Stuff like that can all be parts of it. But not always required. One part that is basically required is stats though. And my personal preference is customization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom