Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Nature of The Codex - 2010 Top 5 Results

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Zomg said:
NWN1 is our 20th best RPG folks

No room for Darklands, gotta get NWN on there.
Blame Volourn and skyway for that.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Darth Roxor said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Hobo Elf said:
By the by, these lists are always depressing. The same Top 5 RPGs of all years every year. It's wrong. So very wrong. No one is making good RPGs that could stand toe-to-toe against these titles, and that's not a good thing.
Yeah, no one made a game that can beat a flawed but still great 1997 cRPG in fucking 13 years. Fucking :decline: .

Oh, but they did. Four years later, too.

And it barely made it to the twelfth place around here :decline:
It's a differen't subgenre. Comparing them is pointless.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Plancescape: Torment should be #1, but fuck that shit, Bloodlines making it as #4 is massive incline.

Zomg

Arbiter
Do we have an argument for why Bloodlines is good but Bioware stuff is bad? It used to be that the "player skills" retards (shit up tactics rnt player skills) held the line but I don't really see how to do it anymore if we like Bloodlines. Is there like a qualitative difference besides just the writing being better?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I bet Jaesun ignored the ToB votes when he should have added BG2+ToB

Nice try, but no. If I was really going to "fudge" the numbers I would have put Bloodlines in the Holy Trinity™. I was really hoping it might make it in there, but alas no. Fucking close though.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
VentilatorOfDoom said:

He said he was going to do this for some obscure reason only he understood.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
oldmanpaco said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

He said he was going to do this for some obscure reason only he understood.

If someone listed BGII and also BGII TOB I PM'ed the appropriate people and told them I combined them into one and asked for a revised top 5 list from them. Same with Ultima VII Part 1 and 2.

To be honest I fully expected Ultima VII part 1 and 2 and BG II and TOB to score much higher than they did. That was my reasoning. That's why I originally separated them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Zomg said:
Do we have an argument for why Bloodlines is good but Bioware stuff is bad? It used to be that the "player skills" retards (shit up tactics rnt player skills) held the line but I don't really see how to do it anymore if we like Bloodlines. Is there like a qualitative difference besides just the writing being better?

Same as the difference between Baldur's Gate II and the rest of Bioware's stuff I suppose. Baldur's Gate II had an open world, supported multiple builds and solutions, and was quite huge in terms of content. Now compare this to the stuff the Codex' has in mind when it uses the term Biowhore.

Incidentally, are you trying to compare Bloodlines to Mass Effect and Dragon Age? In that case I might have to gun you down on open street. Hope you don't mind.

Jaesun said:
3. Arcanum 68
4. Bloodlines 61

Seven votes. Damn.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Silellak said:
No Ultima VII :(

Also, U5: Lazarus deserves far, far more love than it gets.

/fanboy

I just got a copy of Dungeon Siege, so stop whining

:D It's a fantastic game and remake. I hope you enjoy it (and the incredible music).

bhlaab

Erudite
You know what would be cool is if someone made a new rpg that was good

bhlaab

Erudite
Zomg said:

The faintest hint of stealth and diplomat paths in the first half of the game is enough to make Vampire better than anything Bioware has ever made.

(including their early medical programs made to save lives)

Turjan

Arcane
Yes, U5 Lazarus is great. I really enjoyed that game.

As to BG II and ToB, I love BG II but don't really care all too much about ToB. High level D&D was never my thing.

Regarding the top 5, I'm not all too suprised. The Codex sometimes looks a bit like a fansite for those games ;). I guess I will have to play one or two of them one day :D.

Zomg

Arbiter
Honestly half my enjoyment of games like Fallout or PS:T was like "this is the next step... games are going to be fuck amazing" I can never sit and write a fellation post for those games to make doubters appreciate them because I honestly never cared about the flaws that are so apparent to me now; they just seemed like vestigial organs that were eventually going to be sloughed away even without anyone's intent to do so. Now that I believe that games are going to be a terrible medium forever what's the point of criticism?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SCO said:
Zomg said:
NWN1 is our 20th best RPG folks

No room for Darklands, gotta get NWN on there.

W.T.F.

List of 21 to 41 from the poll:

The Witcher 8
Gothic 8
KotOR II 8
Darklands 8
Dark Sun: the Shattered Lands 6
Betrayal at Krondor 6
Pool of Radience 6
System Shock 2 6
Dragon Age 6
Mass Effect 2 6
KotOR 5
Ultima Underworld 5
Fallout 3 5
Ultima V 4
Alpha Protocol 4
Diablo 4
Arx Fatalis 4
Might & Magic VI 3
StarFlight 3
Ultima Underword 2 3
Diablo 2 2
Mass Effect 2

kris

Arcane
I didn't care vote a third time, but my vote would hardly tipped the balance on this one.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Grunker said:
bhlaab said:
You know what would be cool is if someone made a new rpg that was good

How come nobody thought of this until now

An Amnesiac Immortal Vampire scouring the Post Apocalyptic wastes searching for clues from a ring that lead him to a lost Steam Punk civilization...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom