Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Nancy Drew Thread

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I did a title search for Nancy Drew in this forum and I couldn't find anything, so I've made a new thread. If one does exist, to whom it may concern, please feel free to merge or whatever.

I've been playing Nancy Drew games off and on, very off and on, for about 15 years. I'm not really an Adventure Game aficionado though as I lack the necessary brain power for the obscure nature of the genre and I only really play Adventure Games as a breather between more 'epic' games, such as Grand Strategy or RPG. And AGs are just one small sub-section of my breather games alongside such things as Tower Defence, Building Games and all the other etc.

So I haven't played many Nancy Drew, only about half a dozen over the years. But I find them unusually appealing. They're not like other Adventure Games, there's something really unique about them that can't really be found in any other AGs. For one thing, they've maintained a cohesion over many years and many sequels, usually keeping up the quality and improving on it while also providing something genuinely new and unique with each game while also maintaining that same unique vibe that makes all the games feel like they're definitely of the same sauce.

Of the above, I think I, once upon a time, tried White Wolf of Icicle Creek, Legend of Crystal Skull, Shadow at Water's Edge and likely a few more I've completely forgotten what they were called. You see, I usually got to a certain point in the game and found myself completely stuck. I'm one of those people that consider looking up walkthroughs as cheating and something that greatly devalues my experience & with these games I usually, at some point, just started hitting walkthroughs before eventually giving up.

However, the bug hit me again recently and I bought 2 games to fill some time in these long and too-hot-to-move summer days. I bought The Phantom of Menace and Secrets Can Kill (remastered).

The Phantom of Venice was an excellent game, really, really enjoyable. And, for the first time ever for me, it must have something to do with finally getting 'in tune' with these games, I only used a walkthrough once before completing the game, and even that turned out to be me just being incredibly lazy and impatient, likely from being too tired after having played it for too long in one sitting.

hqdefault.jpg

To which the most memorable scene has to be conducting Nancy as a nightclub dancer complete with a skin-tight leather cat suit:

18_VEN_Screenshot08.jpg

I then played Secrets Can Kill Remastered, the first game in the series with added modern meddling, and, OMG, OMG, excitement and satisfaction extraordinaire, I finished the game without once referring to a walkthrough of any kind. It took me eight and a half hours, about double of a typical YouTube Let's Play, but OMG, I finally did it. So chuffed. Such wow. Much jubilation.

vlcsnap-2013-08-23-01h26m48s10.jpg

They all seem to have mini games within games as well & the one in Secrets Can Kill was a really quite hard version of Brick Breaker (it broke my balls anyway).

Secrets Can Kill is an excellent example of how this series doesn't follow the usual tired routines of modern AGs, in that there are barely any of what you'd describe as "regular puzzles". And any puzzles you do have are usually properly in keeping with the game's narrative or environment, such as lots of codebreaking puzzles in the school environment of Secrets Can Kill but in the Venice game there'll be a Mosaic puzzle, for example.

They also run a perfect line between light hearted comedy, knowing aside, and outright creepiness. A lot of which is attributable to their voice actor for Nancy, the incredible VA talent of Lani Minella who's likely been in loads of games you've played and is considered one of the best in the industry.

There's been a brief halt in production of ND games you'll notice from the above list, and this is because of two things. Firstly, Lani Minella is retiring from Nancy Drew and, secondly, they're converting to a new engine for the first time. So the next game is going to be a big test for the series as that magic of a long unbroken run of a familiar theme and style will get its first potential dent.

After playing these two I'm still up for more. Apparently Nancy Drew AGs are a known addictive substance. Have you ever tasted the pleasures?

Where do ND games stand in the hierarchy of 'hardcore' AGs?

Since there's no threads already, I guess the question "what's putting you off them"? is going to be a good question.

& anything else you want to say & etc & discuss & stuff.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
My sister loved playing these at one point and i enjoyed watching. Good times.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I've always known there are a million Nancy Drew books and games, but I've dismissed them instinctively as something for girls.

Play Laura Bow instead.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I read a ton of Nancy Drew when I was a kid. And The Hardy Boys, and Bobbsey Twins, Morgan Kane...
I even remember the pseudonym the writers used: Carolyn Keene. The Hardy Boys was Franklin W. Dixon, I think?
Edit: Morgan Kane was Louis Masterson. It was also an original Norwegian franchise, so I suppose few of you will have heard of it. I had completely forgotten, I thought it was an American ghostwriter affair like the rest.
I don't know anything about these games, but thanks for the nostalgia trip :love:

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I read a ton of Nancy Drew when I was a kid.
Whelp, apparently Hillary Clinton is a fan. Not sure how I feel about that.

Edit: Whelp whelp, "feminist literary critics have analyzed the character's enduring appeal," according to Wikipedia. Definitely sure I don't want to follow this rabbit hole any further.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Completed Last Train To Blue Moon Canyon (2005) without using a walkthrough. Quite a fun adventure this one with mostly puzzling and not too much in the way of dialogue-based or clock-based complexities, but the puzzles aren't just 'here's a puzzle, solve it' but require lots of good detective hunting, and not for pixels but for actual items and clues. Very enjoyable all round. Set on an old steam train with an old west vibe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom