Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mystery of NOLF's IP Rights

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
"We don't know if we have the rights, but we will destroy you if you if infringe on our property".
There should be a "good will" law somewhere. If you repeatedly contact someone who you think own a copyright, and they repeatedly show no interest in actually checking if they do, and then they decide to sue you when you do start using the copyright, the judge should just throw out the case on the basis that they're fucking lazy assholes.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
"We don't know if we have the rights, but we will destroy you if you if infringe on our property".
There should be a "good will" law somewhere. If you repeatedly contact someone who you think own a copyright, and they repeatedly show no interest in actually checking if they do, and then they decide to sue you when you do start using the copyright, the judge should just throw out the case on the basis that they're fucking lazy assholes.
+1

The point of copyright is [supposedly] to foster innovation, not impede it. Time to start acting like it.

Destroid

Arcane
+1

The point of copyright is [supposedly] to foster innovation, not impede it. Time to start acting like it.

Wouldn't innovation be inventing a new IP rather than borrowing one someone else created?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
who gives a shit, both games have tons of fucking annoying missions
I liked the ideas and the style but the gameplay was annoying most of the time.

Anyway, the easiest way to find out who the owner is: Make a few concept arts and start making NOLF3 on kickstarter. The first company who sends you a cease and desist letter is the owner. :D

Cadmus

Arcane
who gives a shit, both games have tons of fucking annoying missions
I liked the ideas and the style but the gameplay was annoying most of the time.

Anyway, the easiest way to find out who the owner is: Make a few concept arts and start making NOLF3 on kickstarter. The first company who sends you a cease and desist letter is the owner. :D
dued go play the fuken unicycle chase scene and tell me it's fun

imweasel

Such a shame, because I really love NOLF. Stop being a total dick, Warner Brothers. Work this shit out so that the games can be rereleased.

:M

dued go play the fuken unicycle chase scene and tell me it's fun
It was fucking awesome and hilarious. One of the best parts of the game.

:smug:

Xenich

Cipher
Wouldn't innovation be inventing a new IP rather than borrowing one someone else created?

If innovation were constrained to only that of unique ideas, we would still be living in the dark ages. Innovation is often a result of the inspiration of a previous idea or production.

I would say the current laws and behaviors of many as it concerns copyright these days are why we have stagnated (as opposed to early progress in them) in some fields.

Ideas should be protected so that the innovator can see it to fruition, but it should not guarantee indefinite rights to such.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
It was fucking awesome and hilarious. One of the best parts of the game.
This.

NOLF is one of the most consistent shooters there is, fucking great from start to finish with barely any weaker moments in the mix. About half of the sequel is filler, but the rest is so good that it makes up for it.

Cadmus

Arcane
Ok, I have the original disc for Nolf 2 around here somewhere so I'll install and see if my memory has betrayed me, but I just remember being annoyed most of the time.

Eyeball

Arcane
NOLF 1 is one of the best first person games ever.

NOLF 2 is inferior in every way. Contract JACK is an abomination.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
"We don't know if we have the rights WTF you're talking about, but we will destroy you if you if infringe on our property".

*what they're actually thinking*

793899-kotick3.jpg

A horse of course

It'll probably get to a point where the game becomes so obscure that nobody really bothers trying to make it work on modern systems, and what few torrents remain of a title aren't worth downloading since nobody can run it. This is the unfortunate fate of more than a few post-DOS titles.

The moral of the story here is that you should pay full price for every new game and play them immediately on the most powerful rig possible, so as not to dilute the dev's artistic vision. :smug:

Endemic

Arcane
Ah, NOLF. Antagonising the sexist UNITY officer (Smith) constantly during the briefings was a nice touch. :p

There is also a PS2 port if you can stomach using a controller.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is it worthy to play NOLF full stealth or shoot all the way up? I'm having a hard time with the stealth mechanics and enemies get aware of you way too fast.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it worthy to play NOLF full stealth or shoot all the way up? I'm having a hard time with the stealth mechanics and enemies get aware of you way too fast.

Just shoot, you'll bore yourself senseless trying to stealth your way through with coin throwing and shit

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Just shoot, you'll bore yourself senseless trying to stealth your way through with coin throwing and shit
There are various levels of stealth. Ghosting is often (but not always) a hopeless endeavor, but you can beat nearly all of the missions without setting off the alarm, for example.

The correct way to play it is to be as stealthy as possible, making use of all of your expensive spy toys and silenced weapons, and then massacre everything once shit eventually hits the fan.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

You only need to stealth long enough to listen to the hilarious conversations. Once those are done you can just go in full Rambo mode.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
NOLF 1 is one of the best first person games ever.

NOLF 2 is inferior in every way. Contract JACK is an abomination.

Agreed.

BUT, by modern standards NOLF 2 is gud and even Contract JACK is decent enough for a play through.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Very nice, I guess this is the only way to get these games now. Lawyers can be such retards (I know I am)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom