Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The multiverse beckons you riftwalker. How will you answer its call?

Kz3r0

Arcane
B1

Hellraiser

Arcane
Bros, what's happening with this LP? Is Hellraiser still alive?

I'm pretty much alive even if my corporate overlords are draining most of my life energy. Unfortunately I need to take care of some important unfinished business first, if all goes well however I'll get off my lazy ass and actually update this in the near future(tm). If not I'll end up dead somewhere in Cambodia then this LP will be frozen for quite some time.

Hellraiser

Arcane
3.3 Smuggler needs food badly

The mysterious party keeps scouring the rubble, there is something unnerving about them. No, not about how they look or what they are doing. It is the precise coordination of their actions, as if they were trained for weeks or months to execute this sweep by a choreographer.

One of the shadowy figures stops and a split second later the rest starts to rally at its position. All that echoes in the darkness is the sound of feet stomping in the debris. They didn’t say even one word or make even one grunt or other sound and yet, somehow, they all knew where to go.

They all stare at a piece of rubble or possibly a rock for a moment. A second later they turn back and head north leaving the piece of concrete behind. Just like that they vanish in the distance. An odd bunch to say the least.

You wait a moment until the coast is clear and investigate the piece of rubble yourself. It is, as you already guessed, a generic chipped-off piece of native construction materials. It does however have traces of organic matter on it, judging by its chemical composition it is urine. But that’s as much as you can tell as you are no expert on organic chemistry.

Why did it draw their attention though? They couldn’t just be a bunch of deviants, interested in bodily fluid traces found in post-atomic ruins now could they? You take the piece of rubble with you after wrapping it around the newspaper you found in the previous parallel you were in.

At times like these you regret never bothering to join the Young Argonauts Association, your mother wasn’t very fond of that concept herself. She said it’s a cult worshipping the lifestyle of savages while your father insisted it builds character expected of a proper man. In the end they let you choose and you said you rather not camp out in the wilds with some wannabe barbarians. Now you’re as a wolf and have absolutely no idea where to get more food.

There are no animals around and no edible plants, you tried eating the dried out grass but almost immediately afterwards you spit most of it out. Odds are you probably indigested some radioactive isotopes with it, within safe levels of course. The worst part however is that there is no water around.

Suddenly you collapse out of exhaustion.

Even in sleep you know no rest. Words echo in your mind, the voice of Mr. Floyd is the most noticeable one in the chaos of random gibberish.

“…mber this. But I suggest you cooperate, your nazi pal may have gotten away but we kn…”

You keep dreaming until the sound of primitive combustion engines wakes you up. You barely lift your eyelids and notice that it is in fact the middle of the day. Something is riding in your direction. Something wicked this way comes perhaps?

You are pretty sure those are motorbikes, the best way to deal with the situation will be to…
A) Play dead, you feel like you’re dead already might as well try to look the part.
B) Try to run or hide. Evading the riders seems like a smart thing to do.
C) They’re not taking you alive. Grab your laspistol and fight.
D) Draw their attention and talk to them, maybe they’re decent folk.
E) Get up, ignore them and walk to your original destination.

Vote now.

Your current inventory: Reich Laspistol, Stun Rod, Structural Scanner, Adaptable Tools, about 38 gold coins (Solidii), a piss-stained rock wrapped in a newspaper.

I wish the “stalk the potentially dangerous group” option won. Now that would be fun to write, oh the things I had planned. Alas you ended up with a short and pretty boring update. Don’t worry, I have plans to make things interesting and probably lethal in the near future. That is assuming the droll duties of a corporate drone don’t distract me from updating this.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
D) Draw their attention and talk to them, maybe they’re decent folk.

But of course, knowing Hellraiser, I fully expect this:

1YvT3.png

Kz3r0

Arcane
B) Try to run or hide. Evading the riders seems like a smart thing to do.

Monty

Arcane
D - but keep the laspistol close to hand. If things go South then a couple of shots with that should give them a scare.

Hellraiser

Arcane
3.4 A retirement plan for true leaders

The roar of combustion engines fills the air. You stand up and look in the direction of the incoming pack of mechanical beasts. The dirty and outright filthy savage contraptions draw ever closer as you wave your hand in their direction and shout.

A small pickup truck is among them, its body is covered in metal sheets which was most likely added to protect the passengers and driver from bullets. Either that or it is some kind of tribal vehicular ornamentation, possibly a symbol of fertility meant to attract the females. You never know with savages, they always had odd custom design choices for their vehicles.

At the very least you know they have noticed you, that is the good part. The bad part is that the motorized mob of smelly natives, dressed in patchwork clothing that somewhat resembles military camouflage, is pointing their guns in your direction. The pickup truck stops and a fairly large man comes out of it, his face is covered is scars.

“What do we have here?” The scarred man asks with a grin on his face. “A lone traveler out in the ruins?” He adds.

“It’s dangerous out here don’t you know?” Another savage starts talking, this one carries a rather large shotgun. “Bandits roaming around the area, mutated beasts, the occasional tax collector…”

So which one of them are they?

“Ah, you’re not as dumb as you look. At the very least you know better than to try to fight.” The scarred one says while pointing at the other talkative barbarian. “Check him for weapons.”

All their guns are still pointed at you, you kind of got used to this sort of thing over the years. The savage approaches, he smells so awful you want to puke on him but considering the gun he’s holding that may not be a very good idea.

“Well well, what is this?” He says with excitement as he grabs you laspistol after frisking you. “Looks fancy doesn’t it guys?” He shows it off to the rest of the biker gang.

“Tie him up. The boss will want to see this.”

They put a sack or rag over your head and tie you up. All you can hear is the sound of engines starting, the pack moves out in an unknown direction.

The convoy has stopped, from what you can tell the ride wasn’t particularly long. You are being dragged somewhere. Finally they take off the filthy bag off your head. The scarred savage is watching you closely as he grips his pistol ready to shoot you, should you do something suspicious.

Before you is a crude desk, behind it an older man with a face you think you saw somewhere. You seem to be in some kind of tent or other simple shelter. You can also see a map pinned to some kind of wooden board and what looks like a trophy.
A very familiar trophy at that, a reptilian skull exposed as if it was some kind of holy relic. Was it one of those Lemurian chimeras?

“You are familiar with those beasts?” The man behind the desk asks with an all too familiar accent.

You now know who he is. General Hector Pariakis, retiring amongst the natives in the wilds? The scarred savage is confused, it doesn’t look like he knows what you just said or in what language.

“Ah you are a fellow citizen and I see you have heard of me.” He replies in atlantean. Tell me, what do they call me back in the homeparallel now? The worst traitor to Civilization ever since the last of the machine-thralls was killed?”

More or less that is what they call him. Still you do wonder, why did he do what he did? Did the Chairman or one of the major factions refuse to give him more power or money? As a general he should have already had tons of it…

“You fool!” He shouts furiously, clearly you must have struck a nerve. “Do you honestly think it was all about money and power?! No, I wanted to fight a plague that was corrupting our society.”

Somehow you think this will be a long speech, you remain silent letting him continue.

“Atlantis is civilization, the apex of human society. Outside of it lies only barbarism. Is that not what they taught us? Are those not the opening words of the Articles of Civilization?”

You nod your head in agreement.

"Do you know what I wanted to do? I wanted to protect that, after all that is the oath I took when I put on this uniform. To protect the citizens against our enemies. But they wouldn't let me."

The former general picks up the skull trophy. "Do you know what this is?” He asks as he presents the skull to you.

You feign ignorance.

“This is what they don’t want you to know about. Evidence of the inconvenient truth. That somewhere out there, beyond the dominion parallels, exist powers that could possibly destroy us in a direct confrontation.”

The scarred savage continues staring like an idiot at the two of you, completely baffled as to what his “leader” is talking about. Hector ignores him and continues his tirade.

“We have time, not a whole lot of it, maybe a decade or two. Expanding from parallel to parallel takes time.” Hector continues. “We had more, I wanted to use that. Have every citizen trained in combat, guerilla warfare and sabotage as part of citizen militias. Have the best trained as militia officers waiting to take command when the day comes, have massive networks of orbital and ground defenses around key industrial and military sites. Far more than the token defenses we still had when I was forced to run.” He pauses.

“But the Chairman and his band of sycophants said the plan I presented to them is insane. Too costly, the rich families would object to having their sons serve at least 2 years in the army or fleet. And the idea of women in the army, trained to kill like men at that? Preposterous, blasphemous even.”

So that’s why he and the others staged the coup? Surely the Chairman recognized the threat posed by these enemies.

“You don’t know a thing really, the army has been stretched extremely thin occupying the nearest savage earths. There is a regular war going on somewhere in the Multiverse not that far off from us, pioneers bring us reports, recover machinery or bodies occasionally. Everything is covered up and locked away, so that all but the few top-ranked people in the army and government know about it. Then there is the case of Mr. Ajax...”

What about Ajax does he know really? Last time you heard he was dead, even if you do know the truth already…

“A man who outsmarted everyone, faked his own death after he fell out of favor with Taurus, although he also did do some things which were most likely a violation of the Articles. He spent the rest of his life building his *legacy* in self-inflicted exile, arming a bunch of militant savages with our technology and some of it being most likely forbidden as well. They blew up a dreadnaught and that was decades ago, Gods know what those barbarians can do now! Our probes and pioneers get intercepted almost immediately if they get into their territory...”

Well that certainly is enlightening, but what about you yourself? Are you supposed to stand here tied up like that all the time?

“Almost forgot.” He comes up towards you and takes off your vest with the RGM inside of it. “You see, I like to have insurance. Normally I would either make you a slave or let the repulsive lot under my command have their way with you, you know to improve morale. But you are a citizen caught in the wrong place and at the wrong time.”

Will he give you the damn thing back or not?

“In time, I need a favor first.” He turns towards the scarred savage guarding you and starts speaking in English again. “Jack, give me a status report.”

“Well sir.” The savage replies like a properly drilled recruit. “The scouts sent west said they noticed an odd group.”

“Define odd.” Hector orders irritated by the vagueness of Jack's report.

“Very organized, moving in a formation resembling a small military unit. Scouts observed them for 2 hours, they didn’t pick up a single word spoken by them despite using the microphone.” He explains nervously.

“Are they here as well?” He mumbles as his face gives off signs of concern.

“Sir?” Jack asks uncertain if he should.

“Never mind. Anything else Jack?”

“That old APC we found, the one with the clogged cannon, the slave refused to touch it. Nails had to shoot him.”

“Go on…”

“Fixer says he can’t work on that as he’s working on that plane, says the damn thing will fly even if he has to make the parts himself out of old chopsticks.”

“He has been saying that for the last two months.” The General scoffs irritated by the news. “I can’t have him fiddling with that damn contraption the whole time. Tell him I want results by tomorrow morning or I’m going to torch that pile of junk myself. We need that APC!”

“Yes sir! I also wanted to report that we captured a scout from Fort Hope. He didn’t say much, just that Colridge will get us eventually. Jackhammer did his best but the scout refused to say anything else before he died.”

“Barely an officer and a savage to boot! He thinks he can get me.” He says in Atlantean and laughs. Jack tries to hide his confusion. Then the general’s face turns from a grin into anger once again as he realizes something.

“Wasn’t he supposed to be old, sick and dying?! Cancer or something like that?!” He barks at Jack.

“I’ll check with jackhammer immediately and clarify the situation sir!” He answers nervously and runs off. The general just stares at the map in silence for a few minutes.

Jack runs back into the tent. “Well sir. Apparently Colridge got better sir!”

“What do you mean he got better?! How!? We’re in the middle of an post-atomic hell!” Furiously the general shouts angered by the news. Jack on the other hand is becoming more and more nervous with each second.

“Find Jackhammer,” Hector says with a calm and very serious cold tone emanating from his voice, “and bring him to me. He will be punished for not reporting this fact to me personally.”

“Yes sir!” Obviously scared Jack runs out of the tent in search of this Jackhammer fellow.

“Now about you.” The general once again turns his attention towards you. “Do you have any suggestions as to how you can be of use to me?”

You will help the General’s merry band of post-nuclear savages by….
A)…investigating the odd squad you previously encountered in the ruins. You have better gear than the savages, might as well use it to learn something.
B)…fixing the APC’s cannon. Surely old Hector will be pleased by that.
C)…checking up on Fixer and lending him a hand with the aeroplane. Maybe you can make it fly.
D)…investigating the matter of Colridge’s illness. This sounds like something that the General is very concerned about for some reason.

The old general knows things which might be of use to you, perhaps you might persuade him to tell you more by…
1)…claiming you were sent to find him and get the “traitor” generals together.
2)…you represent certain factions, from the underworld of Atlantean society, that could help his cause.
3)…telling him that you saw Lemurians subjugating a nearby parallel.
4)…telling him that you are a smuggler and can supply him with things from the homeparallel as a favor.
5)…well actually you won’t try to do that. Why risk it?

By the way, they kind of still have your laspistol with them. Maybe they could give it back to you…
V)…because it was a gift from your grandfather.
X)…for self-defense. There are dangers outside, they can’t just send you unarmed can they?
Y)…because you could use it to cut or weld some things.
Z)…or maybe perhaps not. Why risk pissing the former general off?

Vote now.

Your current inventory: Stun Rod, Structural Scanner, Adaptable Tools, about 38 gold coins (Solidii), a piss-stained rock wrapped in a newspaper.

Well, this turned out to be long as hell. Congratulations, you picked the most safe options for a change. Although technically running away got tied with just confronting them but D got an earlier vote so that was the tiebreaker. Needless to say running away from a bunch of post-apocalyptic bikers isn’t a good choice, well not in Heracles’ malnourished, and suffering from withdrawal or something, position. Otherwise maybe he would have a fair shot.

You were pretty much screwed with your choice to go towards the ocean at all cost. Had to get food or something first really, some of the other options guaranteed that while other were FUN in the DF kind of way. Don’t worry, whatever you choose to do Heracles will get a meal first before he runs off to his latest near death experience.

It could be his last :troll:

oscar

Arcane
B3Y

I've forgotten if we're any good at repairing things but with our scanner and adaptable tools we should be able to make do. Not sure whether the aircraft or the APC is the better choice to repair.

Kz3r0

Arcane
D)…investigating the matter of Colridge’s illness. This sounds like something that the General is very concerned about for some reason.
4)…telling him that you are a smuggler and can supply him with things from the homeparallel as a favor.
X)…for self-defense. There are dangers outside, they can’t just send you unarmed can they?

Monty

Arcane
Cool update.

B - We've tended to chose the 'commando' options in the past, despite it not being our character's strength, hence our extensive catalogue of injuries, torture and imprisonment. For once, let's not run after a mysterious squad in the ruins and use our technical skills instead.
3 - Undecided between 3 and 4, but it's good to meet someone who actually knows a bit of the bigger picture in terms of the interdimensional wars and Atlantean coverups. Would be interesting to find out what else he knows and we could gain his trust by sharing info on the Lemurians.
Y - Choosing B makes Y the best option here

Hellraiser

Arcane
3.5 Did I mention I totally am a smuggler?

Here you are, in front of the former general, when you get an idea. It seems like a good choice although something at the back of your head seems to imply that it isn’t one. Regardless you go on ahead and inform that general that you can help him get more equipment or supplies.

“How? You do realize there are factions around that can and will intercept any rift-capable ship.” The General replies doubtful if you can really help him with that. What he doesn’t know is that you have experience in avoiding interception.

“You are a smuggler?! Traitor scum!” He shouts furious and grabs his sidearm.

You stand there, still tied up unable to move like a sitting duck. So is this how it is supposed to end? You have been in worse situations and somehow managed to get out. But this seems different, final somehow. In a way maybe this is better, better than a year of agony stuck plugged into a machine created by pure sadists. Better than seeing your parents and sister publically denounce your actions on the news and citizens spitting on you as they drag you to trial.

This is the end Heracles Kyriazis, here in a mildly radioactive field of ruins your luck has ran out. The general takes aim.

“A swift death is too good for one of your kind!” He shouts as he pulls the trigger. The last thing you feel is a burning sensation on your face.

EPILOGUE

Heracles Kyriazis is dead but the consequences of his choices live on.

Paul Roth escaped the Homeland Security compound after 7 weeks in captivity by tricking Agent Floyd into letting him open the container for him. He managed to bypass the security system using a DNA sample he collected in secret from Heracles. After opening it he picked up a laser cutter and shot the guards.

He used the container to transit to αδ-38, there he was caught by Lemurians. The Lemurians probed his mind, noticed that his medical skills and knowledge is impressive. They decided not only to spare him but to ascend him. After weeks of gene therapy he became one of them, helping them in ascending the “worthy” natives of αδ-38.

As the war with the Mindlink progresses Paul progresses higher up in the Lemurian hierarchy in a backstabbing fashion expected of ambitious Lemurians. He was already a genius without their enhancement, with them he became one of the smartest beings in the Multiverse.

Maximilian Ajax used the recovered Mindlink automaton to create an army of human-like infiltrators. He kept their existence secret and used his private army of spies to get rid of Himmler and other competition. Along with the Totenkopfs and complete control of the Ahnenerbe he became even more powerful than the Fuhrer himself whom he eventually killed and replaced with a replicant himself.

He rules the Reich with an iron fist from the shadows building a fleet based on reversed-engineered technology from the Vneel Alpha dreadnaught studied in Der Riese.

Lucius Bucco becomes the laughing stock of Western Caesarea after nobody believes his claims of men from other universes. He drowns his sorrows in wine and cheap whores before committing suicide 5 months after Heracles and Paul fail to return.

The Republic finds itself initially losing its war in Augustia as it calls the American continent. The Chinese made rapid advancement thanks to a group of Atlantean smugglers operating in βδ-6 ever since the rift-inhibitor stopped preventing access to it. Unluckily for them a rogue Mindlink faction known as the Prometheans, has already been present there and slowly introducing advanced technology via their front, the Jupiter Power Company. Suddenly the Romans started mass producing assault rifles and other superior weaponry forcing the Chinese to surrender.

General Hector Pariakis spends his remaining days in ββ-17. His gang of renegades is eventually eradicated by Colonel Colridge’s forces. Fort Hope slowly establishes itself as a major settlement. However after refusing to do as the Atlantean agents who helped cure him wanted, they kill him and burn the settlement.

Without a native settlement to help conceal their outpost, the agents are quickly discovered by one of the frequent Lemurian patrols from αδ-38.

Michael Floyd is captured by Vneel-controlled forces in the raid that let Heracles escape and tortured as the aliens secure dominion over αδ-38. The knowledge of parallel universes they learn from him greatly troubles the Vneel forcing them to investigate areas of theoretical physics they deemed as useless in their arrogance. Within 3 years they develop Rift-tech posing a significant threat to Lemurian and Atlantean outposts in neighboring parallels. Lemurians fear that within a decade these Vneel may become as dangerous as the Vneel they faced in their war four centuries ago.

Atlantis continues its slow decline as a major power in this part of the Multiverse. Outright war with Lemuria is prevented only because of the new Vneel threat from αδ-38. Lacking the political will to unban AI and forbidden areas of genetic engineering it starts lagging behind Ajax’s Reich. Reich AIs predict it will fall to one of the other factions within 60 years unless it finds a major ally.

Lemuria’s expansion is slowed down as it got closer and closer to Mindlink parallels. The rift-inhibitors used by both sides force a stalemate as does the non-agression pact, Lemuria’s only option is continued expansion in the direction of Atlantis. With αδ-38 subjugated the Lemurians prepare themselves for the day they invade αδ-4 and Atlantean parallels themselves.But first they conquer αε-13 end prepare for the expected Vneel attack.

The Mindlink continues its policy of non-interference mercilessly hunting down the Prometheans who insist that uplifting less advanced parallels is the only way to stop Lemurians from surrounding Mindlink territory. A 58,72% majority of votes in ,,the Chain” is against direct confrontation with Lemuria. The status quo continues.

THE END

Yes, telling the wannabe-fascist general how you make a living screwing over the nation he has a hard on for is lethal. Granted that choice barely won as it was tied but it won. Heracles avoided death enough times already anyway.

Some other stuff:

The Mindlink is the automaton faction, although they’re not exactly androids themselves. The basic idea behind them is the free flow of all information and the complete lack of privacy. This is done by cognitive links, AI implants in the brain that not only enhance cognitive abilities but also store a backup of the brain’s stored information and share its contents with everyone by connecting to a network known as the Chain.

Lying is impossible as you can easily know anyone’s thoughts, experiences if you want to. The Chain itself is fairly safe from hacking into it due to the AI in the links themselves and on the main nodes. it is also obviously used to communicate with each other and exchange knowledge.

The Vneel are the mysterious aliens. Basically these guys are imperialistic assholes like Atlantis, their advantage is that they became industrialized millennia before humans ever did. Usually however they either die off in a cosmic cataclysm like freak asteroid impacts, major nuclear war or something else. In one parallel they got really advanced and made a fairly huge empire which got into war with Lemuria, they lost but the war lasted decades.

In αδ-37 they went the shape-shifting space-lizard NWO route and infiltrated humanity using consciousness transfer technology and grown human bodies. If you would ever encounter their true form I guess I would make them something like melonheads with mandibles and chitinous plating. Mantis-men meet Cleve’s thruth conspiracies basically.

Speaking of which as to some unfinished business and things that might have been:

The Neural Interface device in αδ-37 was a Vneel network link adapted to work with their human bodies. That shit would get Heracles Connected to the Vneel Matrix and before he would get cut off he would learn where is there HQ, what their general plan is and how much time Floyd has to stop them from enacting NWO (which you obviously failed at).

Speaking of which the sphere device with a power source was a stun-pulse generator if I haven’t mentioned that already. You could have escaped with that.

αε-13 was a fairly safe choice where you could safely make a smuggling career with the occasional Atlantean/Lemurian/Reich/Mindlink incursion. It was a parallel universe where the Red Army succeeded in spreading the revolution to Germany in 1920. Basically commie-land where only Japan and the remnant of the British Empire could oppose the communist block. The thing is though there would be massive internal strife between two factions within the communist block.

ω-38 was a nice Vneel colony. Human slaves working their asses off in industrial plants, one of their overlords kept the missing professor as a personal slave. Oh and another held one of the other former generals.

γω-6 was Incas in space after they kicked out the Vneel. The natives managed to screw over their atmosphere and had to build domed cities.

The other uncharted parallels would house among other things: hot house earth (your own personal pressure cooker world instant death), a black hole in the place of the solar system (cosmic vacuum exposure is a bitch), a major Mindlink outpost parallel, a Lemurian parallel, an automaton parallel with a technological singularity which would tell you to GTFO as it has no interest in Multiverse or interfering with humans (basically humans there chose to go the Alpha Centauri brain into computer way).

I honestly wish Heracles ever went to that last one or encountered another Vimana or other AI, would be fun to write.

If you have any questions about red herrings, possible outcomes or something ask them.

For those of you craving more CYOA and willing to read through more of my nonsense, you can check out my new topic Europareich 2057 - a cyberpunk CYOA. I didn't want this one to end as there was still stuff I really wanted to write but alas your poor choice killed heracles :rpgcodex:

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
The general is crazy ok. Should have pandered to the crazies. Including the previous set.

“We had more, I wanted to use that. Have every citizen trained in combat, guerilla warfare and sabotage as part of citizen militias. Have the best trained as militia officers waiting to take command when the day comes, have massive networks of orbital and ground defenses around key industrial and military sites. Far more than the token defenses we still had when I was forced to run.”

oscar

Arcane
Great stuff Hellraiser. These CYOAs have bought some definite hard incline to the Codex.

Monty

Arcane
Sad to see this end, especially with so much scope for future encounters, but enjoyed it so thanks for writing this Hellraiser.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom