Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most fearsome, frightening monster in any RPG is...

Naraya

Arcane
I recently replayed SS2 and I have to say that the fucking INVISIBLE SPIDER emitting spine-chilling sounds ranks pretty high.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Demilich

latest

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guardian of VARN -> MM6.

Immune to Everything but physical attacks and break your weapons. Without implosion and physical damage dealing spells, he is pretty nasty. Terminator Unit can insta erradicate party members and losing a cleric...

WOdEDhY.png

Nwn - Sodalis. A high level mage done right.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
bonewalkers, seriously these are straight up from some fucked up nightmares and the shitty status effects they gave you weren't fun either

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Chryssalids from Ufo: Enemy Unknown and Tentaculats from X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Changing your troops into zombies with one touch. And when you kill a zombie... one more Chryssalid/Tentaculat appears from its corpse to morph even more of your men into those monstrosities...

In pure rpgs: everything with level drain ability. Fuck those creeps.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Chryssalids from Ufo: Enemy Unknown and Tentaculats from X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Changing your troops into zombies with one touch. And when you kill a zombie... one more Chryssalid/Tentaculat to morph even more of your men into those monstrosities...

In pure rpgs: everything with drain levels ability. Fuck those creeps.

Nothing personal, kid.

2021-04-15-13-28-53.gif

Ysaye

Arbiter
Chryssalids from Ufo: Enemy Unknown and Tentaculats from X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Changing your troops into zombies with one touch. And when you kill a zombie... one more Chryssalid/Tentaculat to morph even more of your men into those monstrosities...

Nothing personal, kid.

2021-04-15-13-28-53.gif

In the artbook, the english description of that creature is a "Vampire Load".

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Nothing personal, kid.

2021-04-15-13-28-53.gif

Your reputation in this game can also be "NORBLE" (NOBLE). Japanese truly are the cream of the crop when it comes to English.

20210406130531-1.jpg

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Nothing personal, kid.

2021-04-15-13-28-53.gif

Just be thankful there was never a D&D module - for NWN1/2 or whatever - called "Count Strahd's 50 Load Weekend"... or at least I don't think there was ever a module with that title.

I remember that a user-created module for NWN1 based on Ravenloft had a Vampire Lord (or was it Warrior?) and his magic-wielding vampire sorceress wife that was one of the toughest encounters I ever had in any RPG. Took my 6 party team out in seconds... again and again and again.

Ysaye

Arbiter

Nothing personal, kid.

2021-04-15-13-28-53.gif

Just be thankful there was never a D&D module - for NWN1/2 or whatever - called "Count Strahd's 50 Load Weekend"... or at least I don't think there was ever a module with that title.

I remember that a user-created module for NWN1 based on Ravenloft had a Vampire Lord (or was it Warrior?) and his magic-wielding vampire sorceress wife that was one of the toughest encounters I ever had in any RPG. Took my 6 party team out in seconds... again and again and again.

I finished Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession a few weeks back and the level draining from vampires+wights on that combined with the fact that you turn like a battleship + it doesn't always flag it (meaning you could potentially be unaware you have lost them and save those accidently into your save files) was pretty stressful - you have to keep an RL copy of your stat sheet. Nothing like the basilisk from Dark Souls though.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Any bullet hell boss.

Still have Xevious/Raiden/r-type nightmares. That shit literally fries your brain. And “reloading” means another quarter and half hour of constantly intensifying stress just to get back to where your were.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Fighters might well choose as the most frightening monster something not particularly feared by other classes:

rust-monster.jpg

Although the rust monster appeared in Dungeon Master, there fortunately was not any implementation of its ability to rust metal.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Fighters might well choose as the most frightening monster something not particularly feared by other classes:

rust-monster.jpg

Although the rust monster appeared in Dungeon Master, there fortunately was not any implementation of its ability to rust metal.

There was a cool-funny Hall-of-Fame NWN1 module in a series by the same author where your PC in early levels encounters an unbeatable rust monster in a dungeon that totally destroys not only your armor but any other article of clothing you're wearing, and you have to go back to town where the local guards arrest you on the spot for being buck naked with your anatomically correct free willy a'swingin' and offending the public decency and you're thrown into a different kind of dungeon. Bless high reactivity in modules.

Rafidur

Learned
t totally destroys not only your armor but any other article of clothing you're wearing, and you have to go back to town where the local guards arrest you on the spot for being buck naked with your anatomically correct free willy a'swingin' and offending the public decency and you're thrown into a different kind of dungeon

Skyrim has the Cursed Loot mod for that but I don't think it is compatible with swinging willies (unless you have a separate mod to put swinging willies on your female characters?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom