Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most fearsome, frightening monster in any RPG is...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Crazed Natives in Might&Magic 2 were a personal nemesis of mine. They came in large numbers, frenzied and "exploded" damaging the entire party, and unlike other monsters who could only attack 10 per turn, all the crazy bastards could attak when they made room for their cousins when "exploding". They also had a pretty high Speed rating meaning that they would all act before my party could even think of running away.

Neki

Scholar
This game made me shit my pants more than any sillent hill could

This fucker gave me nightmares for weeks
latest

Last edited:

Lios

Cipher
latest

The first Dink Smallwood Slayer you meet in that backyard (where a cult was gonna sacrifice a lady? don't remember) could end you pretty fast

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
latest

The first Dink Smallwood Slayer you meet in that backyard (where a cult was gonna sacrifice a lady? don't remember) could end you pretty fast
They're tough bastards no matter how much you level up.

Neki

Scholar
The dudes smilie face surgical mask always undermined the tension for me.

It goes well with the main character.
He obvious has psychoisis or some shit,Think of he as a malkavian and the game will be a totally diferent experence

Momock

Augur
The scariest monster in an RPG was a simple rat. A big, diseased and disgusting red eyed rat I invocked myself while trying my shitty invocation skills in Arx Fatalis. I thought that it was going to be another chicken, like always, but instead it was that thing staring at me during at least four or five seconds... and then it jumped at me with its nasty, rotten teeth, and I was so scared and surprised that I screamed and jumped from my chair IRL while I was blowing the air with my sword in the game, running backwards until I reached a dead end and died like a little bitch. The end.

Balor

Arcane
Well, if you include general 'adversaries', Neutral Incarnation from PS:T was pretty terrifying.
I daresay that 'Evil incarnation' was simply insane and did not really deserve to be relegated as 'Evil' per se, more 'Chaotic', perhaps?

Now, that cold, calculating, psychopathic motherfucker that did not give a damn about anything and would use anyone to his own advantage, no matter the cost (the story of Deionarra is an apotheosis to this) is truly terrifying in a way no tentacled monstrosity could never be.

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
I hate all blob-type enemies, especially the ones jumping on your face.

latest

like these fucks in Duke 3D or more recent

rot.jpg

these fucks drop from the ceiling on your head and fuck you up, I always get grossed the f out whenever that happens

just leave my head alone!

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Well, if you include general 'adversaries', Neutral Incarnation from PS:T was pretty terrifying.
I daresay that 'Evil incarnation' was simply insane and did not really deserve to be relegated as 'Evil' per se, more 'Chaotic', perhaps?

Now, that cold, calculating, psychopathic motherfucker that did not give a damn about anything and would use anyone to his own advantage, no matter the cost (the story of Deionarra is an apotheosis to this) is truly terrifying in a way no tentacled monstrosity could never be.
Well, they weren't 'neutral' and 'evil', but Practical and Paranoid. Obviously the Practical Incarnation was the one we could consider more evil, or at least unscrupulous. The Paranoid one was simply a paranoid schizophreniac.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That werewolf thing from Ecstatica could give you a shock now and again, if memory serves.

Balor

Arcane

Well, they weren't 'neutral' and 'evil', but Practical and Paranoid. Obviously the Practical Incarnation was the one we could consider more evil, or at least unscrupulous. The Paranoid one was simply a paranoid schizophreniac.

I've meant the 'Shadows of Good, Evil and Neutrality' prophesy. Though, it was Deionarra's opinion, and we know full well that she is terrible at judging people :)

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

I've meant the 'Shadows of Good, Evil and Neutrality' prophesy. Though, it was Deionarra's opinion, and we know full well that she is terrible at judging people :)
aren't they Trias, Ravel and Fhjull?

Santander02

Arcane
MW-creature-Greater_Bonewalker.jpg

latest

latest

e-i-vidal-ashzombie-srgb.jpg

...and pretty much anything you'd find in a sixth house base, I remember my kid self was so terrified of entering those places that I needed to constatly abuse the Amulet of Shadows to get trough them.

Balor

Arcane

aren't they Trias, Ravel and Fhjull?

I know, I thought that referred to your confrontation with incarnations, too. But I might be reading too much into it, now I think about it.

Latelistener

Arcane
I know, I thought that referred to your confrontation with incarnations, too. But I might be reading too much into it, now I think about it.
Maybe that's the point of the game. Fhjull was on of the few characters that actually did you some good, despite being under the spell, Ravel was not as scary as they say, and actually loved you, and Trias was one lying son of a bitch, despite being Great and Good.

Practical incarnation didn't seem scary to me, but definitely disgusting, and his arrogance was truly limitless, and despite that, through his actions, he was the only reason why you escaped in the end, and did what you have to do in the Fortress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom