Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most fearsome, frightening monster in any RPG is...

Ghouls from the first Risen. You even get to meet one early if you join the Don. "Hey, nameless hero one of our men disappeared in that cave over there. Why don't you go and take a look?"

That AOE attack. R.I.P Nameless hero.

latest

Am I remembering falsely that you could just lure him out of the cave, so that he'd aggro the Don's men, and have them kill him?

I thought that was too much of an exploit the first time I did it. Then I tried to beat him one-on-one. Around 5 deaths later, I decided the exploit was fair enough - besides, it wasn't like he told me to go and kill whatever took his man, running out of the cave shouting 'HEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' is technically quest-compliant.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ghouls from the first Risen. You even get to meet one early if you join the Don. "Hey, nameless hero one of our men disappeared in that cave over there. Why don't you go and take a look?"

That AOE attack. R.I.P Nameless hero.

latest

Am I remembering falsely that you could just lure him out of the cave, so that he'd aggro the Don's men, and have them kill him?

I thought that was too much of an exploit the first time I did it. Then I tried to beat him one-on-one. Around 5 deaths later, I decided the exploit was fair enough - besides, it wasn't like he told me to go and kill whatever took his man, running out of the cave shouting 'HEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' is technically quest-compliant.
You guys were trying a sword build or what? On my replay I find that axe is horribly op, because you have fucking power attack at level 1.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I used a sword. Danced around the cave like Dirk vs. the Lizard King. The ghoul was especially creepy for me because I wandered into one of those caves well before getting told to kill one, as I had spent most of the game just exploring on my own and then rolling up quests when I felt like it. IIRC, I passed through the kudzu eaves dressed over the entrance and wandered into a suitably creepy area. And then the two white eyes shifted in the darkness, dropping low and bouncing, a dry snarl reverberating off the walls as it loped forward. It passed by some torch (??) which gave me about a second's glance at a wiry, sinewy silhouette. And then it smashed my face in. Along with the boar and other wildlife that'll eat your raggedy ass at the start, it was one of those moments that really helped set the tone of vulnerability in the game.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Every time I swim deep in the water in a 1st/3rd person RPG. Knowing that every moment a giant fish or a predatory water monster can jump from somewhere while I am surrounded by water... Fuck that.

I have no problems swimming in real life, but in real life there isn't all kind of shit living underwater while you are near the beach or in a swimming pool.

Have you ever tried to go in the open sea in Far Cry? That was by far the most scary thing I have ever experienced in a game. The sound the oxigen mask does, the limited visibility, and the fact that you know there are sharks swimming in there somewhere, the psychological fear from the anticipation was heavy for me. Getting killed by one eventually was somewhat less scary than swimming around.

^ oh it was Crysis, not Far Cry (never even played Far Cry, I guess I got confused because they are both from Crytek).

I'm generally scared to enter water in any game that's not TES. Low visibility, slow movement, enemies can attack you from any angle.

Crysis is the worst though. I can't stand sharks ever since seeing Jaws as a child. There's little reason to enter the water in the game except as a stealth route on some occasions, and even if I check the map and find that yes, there's a reef protecting this shallower water and sharks should not be able to spawn here, I jump in and panickingly swim from shore to shore as quickly as possible. I'm with Jazz_, the anticipation is murder.

Like eXalted I don't have problems swimming at the beach IRL either.

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
I'm generally scared to enter water in any game that's not TES. Low visibility, slow movement, enemies can attack you from any angle.

Crysis is the worst though. I can't stand sharks ever since seeing Jaws as a child. There's little reason to enter the water in the game except as a stealth route on some occasions, and even if I check the map and find that yes, there's a reef protecting this shallower water and sharks should not be able to spawn here, I jump in and panickingy swim from shore to shore as quickly as possible. I'm with Jazz_, the anticipation is murder.

Like eXalted I don't have problems swimming at the beach IRL either.

If you keep going away from the island you get to open water eventually and you can dive pretty deep, there is no purpouse to it, I was just exploring and it's REALLY scary if you have that Jaws phobia (to be honest I even have shark phobia in real life, a bit silly since I swim in the mediterranean sea), as a matter of fact I jumped back on the reef many times just from the psychological terror. The sharks are used as a sort of barrier to stop you going too farther away from the island, once you swim far enough in the ocean you will meet the shark and it will kill you (a nice touch, if you keep your eyes on the shark it will keep circling you for a bit like in real life). A scuba diving simulator using the Crytek engine would be great. :lol:

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
If you keep going away from the island you get to open water eventually and you can dive pretty deep, there is no purpouse to it, I was just exploring and it's REALLY scary if you have that Jaws phobia (to be honest I even have shark phobia in real life, a bit silly since I swim in the mediterranean sea), as a matter of fact I jumped back on the reef many times just from the psychological terror. The sharks are used as a sort of barrier to stop you going too farther away from the island, once you swim far enough in the ocean you will meet the shark and it will kill you (a nice touch, if you keep your eyes on the shark it will keep circling you for a bit like in real life). A scuba diving simulator using the Crytek engine would be great. :lol:

+M

Jazz_

Arcane

In 1989 off the coast of Livorno in Tuscany a guy named Luciano Costanzo was killed by a shark in front of his son, his body was never recovered. It's not Northern California or Australia but there are still a few sharks with faulty gps out there in the med. :D

bddevil

Educated
not RPG, but by far scariest monster I've seen in video games

Commander_Keen_4_-_DOS_-_Dope_Fish.png

The dopefish and Dangerous Dave 2 death animations had me shitting bricks as a kid.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The dogmen were frightening in a gameplay-sense in NEO Scavenger. Got into some epic fights with them, including one time where one tripped me down as I tried to flee, I rolled over and put a bullet through its eye as it closed in for the kill. Few games can produce genuine intensity out of such simple aesthetics. To add, a lot of the fights in NEO Scavenger are kinda scary and frightening, particularly in the early game. Even a random vagabond can be fearsome as you brain each other with flashlights and frying pans.

Combat in NeoScav was amazing. I had at least as much fun just reading the combat reports in the revelevant thread than I had with playing the game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
the fucking werewolf boss from vampire bloodlines

I do have to agree. The very first time playing this I was like HOLY FUCKING SHIT! WHAT IN THE FUCK!!! Died so many times, then figured out a way to finally get rid of that fucking asshole.

Fuck those things (and I was happy they DID represent them well in this game). You may be some bad ass Vampire and think you are King shit of turd Mountain, but just one fucking Werewolf will set you back into your place bitch.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The skulls and skeletons in Stonekeep frightened me to death back then as a kid (and were a pain in the ass to fight against).

sk_2674.JPG
hqdefault.jpg

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Though it's been years, I remember playing VtMB and finding the werewolf quite intimidating and I don't think I even saw him once. It was just a great big jumble of panic trying to find a way to get the hell out of there as the creature was banging & smashing the outside of the air trolley, getting closer & closer. But I got out of there on a first attempt without even seeing the fucker. Afterwards, I wondered what would have happened if I just sat there and waited for it to eviscerate me. At least I'd get a chance to actually see it. It was disappointing in that sense.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
No monster is frightening when i have quicksave option. Other than that when saves are periodical, and not on demand, then only when there's a penalty for dying. So mostly all rogue alike games :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom