Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Servo

Arcane
I think you mean thanks to Servo for prompting you to look for a manual which led to discovering an interesting site.

Servo

Arcane
I was getting owned in the outdoor area by Sorpigal (MM1). Then I went back indoors and was getting owned there too.

Do the enemies scale as you level or something? Or is it totally random whether you stand a chance in any given encounter?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Enemies only scale to area. When you're lvl 1 it's totally random if you survive an encounter or not, which is why returning to the Inn to save often, or using a DosBox version with Save States, is a good idea.

Nah, there's level scaling too.

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
Enemies only scale to area. When you're lvl 1 it's totally random if you survive an encounter or not, which is why returning to the Inn to save often, or using a DosBox version with Save States, is a good idea.

p much all my homies are lvl 2 now but I still gettin owned half of the time :?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You need to reach about lvl 5 before you can feel safe in the starting area. Then it's time to explore new areas and get a feel for how tough they are. If the monsters in an area are too tough, try a different area.

I finally got around to a playthroug of VIII, the only MM that I never got to play back in the day. I remember VI and VIII having stat-enhancing fountains in every town, which boosted your stats up to 17, thus allowing you to max your most important stat(s) at character creation and keep the rest at their minimum values.

So I've done the usual city hopping to get the towns marked for Town Portal later on as well as boost my stats to 17, but cannot for the life of me find the stat fountain for Endurance. Have I not looked thoroughly enough or is Endurance the only stat for which there is no fountain?

Btw regarding MM1: You will die a lot early on anyway, so I'd actually recommend exploring the outside areas as soon as possible (I left Sorpigal at lvl 3 iirc). The scroll delivery quests are relatively easy to complete and can be repeated (= easy xp early on,), which removes much of the tedium of MM1's early game.

Edit: Meant to say Town Portal, not Lloyd's Beacon.

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
So I've done the usual city hopping to get the towns marked for Lloyd's later on as well as boost my stats to 17, but cannot for the life of me find the stat fountain for Endurance. Have I not looked thoroughly enough or is Endurance the only stat for which there is no fountain?

I think you're right - I didn't find an Endurance fountain in MM8 either.

Servo

Arcane
Geez, all my characters are level 3 now and I still feel like I'm getting nowhere. Is the entire game an endless grind?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Geez, all my characters are level 3 now and I still feel like I'm getting nowhere. Is the entire game an endless grind?
If you genuinely want to avoid grinding, then join the dark side use my trainer. Try it. It's free.

mettalhed

Educated

Lots of grinding in M&M1, at least at first. Once you get around lvl8 or so you can really start to explore. It starts to feel less grindy at that point because you can actually explore instead of just looking for combat. You'll still die alot, but you will actually be able to roam around outside and wander around Sorpigal without to many issues. You will run into many many places where the enemies are too strong for you, but you can just leave, explore elsewhere, and come back with more levels/better equipment.

Luzur

Good Sir

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Version 1.02 of the MM1 Trainer is ready. Changes from version 1.01:
-Added input validation for all numerical fields: check if all values are in the acceptable range, catch non-numeric input and display message with incorrect fields.
-Raised maximum experience from 65535 to 4294967295.
-Raised maximum gold from 65535 to 16777215.
-Check whether the character's names are too long.

A word of warning: MM1 does not check for out of bound values, so if you transfer additional gold or gems to a character who already has the maximum amount, the value will overflow and start from zero again.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Endure, and in enduring grow strong"! Around level 5, you'll feel the world starting to open up, and it is massive (for 1986). It's like one of those water pumps, though. You've got to give a little to get anything out of Might & Magic 1.

Repressed Homosexual
Glad to see that more than four years later VI is still acknowledged as the best. Truly a unique game, there will never be any game with dungeons and a game world as good as it. A crowning jewel.

treborSux

Arcane
I just finished WoX. My characters were only 23. I think initially the game starts off a lot slower and feels a lot more massive, so I thought my characters would be a lot older by the time it was over. The game really just breezes right through though. The largest part of the whole game are the mines right at the beginning.

Anyhoo I thought it was just an alright game. It's enjoyable and easy enough to finish without it being a chore, but nothing particularly great or memorable about it. Most of the game you're not really in any danger, battles are over before they start. Most spells end up being useless except a couple really powerful ones that are useful at some points, and critical spells that you have to use.

This is only the second MM game I've played. I played most of the first one on NES and this. The series just seems kind of mediocre. I might go back and play 2, 3 and 6 at some point before I die since i have all of them but 6 is the only one that peaks my curiosity.

Cadmus

Arcane
So would it be correct to assume that MMX is actually hard when compared to the rest of the series? I think about playing the older ones but the simpler combat just turns me off

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's enjoyable and easy enough to finish without it being a chore, but nothing particularly great or memorable about it. Most of the game you're not really in any danger, battles are over before they start.

iWEU7fa.png

y hallo thar.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just finished WoX. My characters were only 23. I think initially the game starts off a lot slower and feels a lot more massive, so I thought my characters would be a lot older by the time it was over. The game really just breezes right through though. The largest part of the whole game are the mines right at the beginning.

Anyhoo I thought it was just an alright game. It's enjoyable and easy enough to finish without it being a chore, but nothing particularly great or memorable about it. Most of the game you're not really in any danger, battles are over before they start. Most spells end up being useless except a couple really powerful ones that are useful at some points, and critical spells that you have to use.

This is only the second MM game I've played. I played most of the first one on NES and this. The series just seems kind of mediocre. I might go back and play 2, 3 and 6 at some point before I die since i have all of them but 6 is the only one that peaks my curiosity.

I don't like you anymore

Luzur

Good Sir

I don't like you anymore

fucking consollers

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
In related news gog has M & M 1-9 + Crusaders for 8.50 USD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom