Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Alright guise, if I remember right, I played a bit of I and VI-IX a couple of years back, but didn't finish them (no surprise here).
I'll pretend I never played those, just Heroes and Crusaders. If I want to get acquainted with the original series, which game would you recommend me to play first?

Right now MM6 looks like the best bet to me.

MM3 and forward.
you can include swords of xeen too, even though it isn't canon.

Luzur

Good Sir
Alright guise, if I remember right, I played a bit of I and VI-IX a couple of years back, but didn't finish them (no surprise here).
I'll pretend I never played those, just Heroes and Crusaders. If I want to get acquainted with the original series, which game would you recommend me to play first?

Right now MM6 looks like the best bet to me.

MM3 and forward.
you can include swords of xeen too, even though it isn't canon.

thats more of a more hardcore fan-DLC.

Luzur

Good Sir
also Koval from Heroes Roundtable has made a mod that lets you add in the faces from MM6 beta:

koval321 said:
I made new mod for M&M6, here is some example of new faces and paperdolls, after experience with modify game portraits am able to add and animate anything (like drow) and most interesting idea is to reconstruction portraits from M&M6beta

More about this mod here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mm6-medieval-balance

beta1.jpg

one is already in game:

14.jpg

other experiments...

16.jpg

also an old MM6 beta trailer was posted:

koval321 said:
Here is basic tutorial, percent show amount of work and difficulty
1step 5%
-find interesting picture and copy
-extract portrait bmp gfx from game, paste it there
2step 30%
-resize and remove big square pixels, add details
3step 40%
-animate 53 frames, to look similar like original
4step 25%
-make paperdoll, modify original and pasete resized face

howdrow1.jpg

howdrow2.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
and more "news" of MMT in a way:

hellegennes said:
It's Dead, Jim

and a new Survivor spawn mod has appeared:

survival said:
My second small job - this time for MM8 it gives much more fights
and tactical combat - dungeons are much harder now.

Here it is:

Hope u like it , loots of fights,combat experience , ENJOY !!!

http://www.4shared.com/rar/v0kfe3-Sce/SurvivalSpawnMod.html

HP x2
Exp x2
Spawn x5-x10

Screen_Hunter_12_Mar_06_22_31.jpg

available for both MM7 and MM8.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
and a new Survivor spawn mod has appeared

That's too broken, I'm afraid. Obviously, I haven't played it, but the problem with such huge spawns is that they make life even worse for the weak classes( basically, everything but necromancers, dragons and dark elves) and they give tons of xp to those classes that are already strong - after all, all of them use AoE damage to grind through the mobs and, well, for a well placed dragonbreath there's no difference between a dozen or a hundred of ogres. Not to mention how ridiculous armageddon gets with this mod...

Luzur

Good Sir
and a new Survivor spawn mod has appeared

That's too broken, I'm afraid. Obviously, I haven't played it, but the problem with such huge spawns is that they make life even worse for the weak classes( basically, everything but necromancers, dragons and dark elves) and they give tons of xp to those classes that are already strong - after all, all of them use AoE damage to grind through the mobs and, well, for a well placed dragonbreath there's no difference between a dozen or a hundred of ogres. Not to mention how ridiculous armageddon gets with this mod...

hey bro, dont tag it on me, im just the messenger.

Cadmus

Arcane
Oh guys i just remembered I actually played a bit of Crusaders of Might and Magic and from the contemporary reviews and my memories it seems like utter piece of shit, is it any good?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Oh guys i just remembered I actually played a bit of Crusaders of Might and Magic and from the contemporary reviews and my memories it seems like utter piece of shit, is it any good?
Depends on the platform.

As I remember:
On PC it's a piece of shit.
On PS1 it's a console piece of shit, yet feels kinda better than PC version.

Just don't pay money for it if you want to try it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You guys are just h8erz. Crusaders is actually a pretty fun slasher, I even replay it every now and then :M

Diggfinger

Arcane
One of these days I'm going to man up and play I and II, even if I have to use maps from the Internet. I want to finish this whole series (even IX).

IX is an awesome game, I enjoyed playing it a lot! IMO its better than 8, although of course not as good as 6 or 7.

totally underrated…even in its unfinished state its highly playable.

You're new here so listen, for shit like that you have to add this :troll: .

Otherwise you get all sorts of tags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rARGdtp8kU

:troll:

Mightmagic

Augur
the original diskette version (which i also have) have this bug, you had to send a letter in to NWC to get a disk with a patch/new disks, if i remember correctly.
You're right, the oldest version had this bug. But since those disks were exchanged and I doubt anyone plays from 20 year old diskettes now it's safe to assume that players suffering from this bug now got their version from pirate sites.
I play with my floppy version of M&M3 bought at the release of M&M3 and I didn't pirate the game. I don't know if I have this bug because it's a french version.

Why nobody would play today with floppy disk? It's stupid. Lot of people are still floppy drive.

Luzur

Good Sir
the original diskette version (which i also have) have this bug, you had to send a letter in to NWC to get a disk with a patch/new disks, if i remember correctly.
You're right, the oldest version had this bug. But since those disks were exchanged and I doubt anyone plays from 20 year old diskettes now it's safe to assume that players suffering from this bug now got their version from pirate sites.
I play with my floppy version of M&M3 bought at the release of M&M3 and I didn't pirate the game. I don't know if I have this bug because it's a french version.

Why nobody would play today with floppy disk? It's stupid. Lot of people are still floppy drive.

i think the french version came later, so it could have been fixed by then.

and i still have a floppy drive connected.

aleph

Arcane
prob only played MM6-8, although he interviewed Tim Lang.

I just wondered because all the stuff he praises about MMIX is just a weak imitation of things from previous games. Anyone with M&M experience would have addressed that at length in any review.

Turjan

Arcane

I just wondered because all the stuff he praises about MMIX is just a weak imitation of things from previous games. Anyone with M&M experience would have addressed that at length in any review.

I'm not sure. His reviews are weird. He reuses lots of the same scenes in his short reviews, and they don't give you a good idea of the games. His Might & Magic reviews are about IX, VIII and Crusaders. He really likes the latter. There's also a "review" about two console versions of M&M 2, which basically just tells you that the Nintendo version is broken and you should play the Genesis one, and that one on an emulator because of save game problems. Nothing about the game itself though, except graphics and that it takes 1000 hours to complete.

The M&M IX review is definitely the highlight.

aleph

Arcane
I'm not sure. His reviews are weird. He reuses lots of the same scenes in his short reviews, and they don't give you a good idea of the games. His Might & Magic reviews are about IX, VIII and Crusaders. He really likes the latter. There's also a "review" about two console versions of M&M 2, which basically just tells you that the Nintendo version is broken and you should play the Genesis one, and that one on an emulator because of save game problems. Nothing about the game itself though, except graphics and that it takes 1000 hours to complete.

Yeah, sounds weird. Probably not wise to trust his reviews too much. If I hadn't already tried IX out (and found wanting) I might have installed after watching this review and needlessly suffered through it, always waiting when it gets as good as in the review. Fortunately, I already tried it, uninstalled after a couple of hours and never looked back.

There should be a rating system for reviewers, so you can easily avoid the idiots. Something like a reviewers' review.

Diggfinger

Arcane

I wonder if this guy has played any of the other Might and Magics.

The fact that he opens the review by saying "it is definitely not the best in the series" and that it is hard to objectively review a game when it is a part of a series, alludes to the fact that he has at least played one of the games - my guess would be more.

Yeah, sounds weird. Probably not wise to trust his reviews too much. If I hadn't already tried IX out (and found wanting) I might have installed after watching this review and needlessly suffered through it, always waiting when it gets as good as in the review. Fortunately, I already tried it, uninstalled after a couple of hours and never looked back.

There should be a rating system for reviewers, so you can easily avoid the idiots. Something like a reviewers' review.

Cant this guy have his own opinion? Why is that because he played and enjoyed a game that you might not necessary like, that you have to discredit his role as a reviewer? If he likes MMIX, then so be it.

For me, it comes down to this:

a) MMIX is by no means the best in series - it is unfinished and unpolished...
b) BUT it has that core gameplay of levelling up and turning weak starting characters into demo-gods, which I find highly addictive
c) AND it (FINALLY) experimented with some new gameplay features, i.e. tweaked combat to focus more on smaller-scale strategic encounters rather than 200+ enemies that just bash away at you until you (or they) die.

For these reasons, I enjoyed it more than MM8, which really started wearing the formula thin. (For a bit more depth check-out my review on Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/might-and-magic-ix/user-reviews/2200-186142/

To conclude, I really, really had a good time playing MM6,7 and 8 (currently finishing Worlds of Xeen), and to me 6+7 are the pinnacle of the series.
Despite being almost discouraged to give 9 a try by the masses of poor reviews (heck, even GOG.com has poor rating for that game!) I decided to give it a try…

happy I did: I loved playing through the game, and would definitely recommend it to hardcore MM fans!

aleph

Arcane
Cant this guy have his own opinion? Why is that because he played and enjoyed a game that you might not necessary like, that you have to discredit his role as a reviewer? If he likes MMIX, then so be it.

It's not about his opinion, it is about his review being useless because it doesn't give you an impression how the game actually is. IX is only a pale shadow of previous M&M games, setting is boring, reduced number of spells, more linear, etc + clearly being only in early beta stage at release. But in the review he praises stuff that earlier games did much better and leaves a out the flaws. You get the impression that IX is a in essence a good game which it is simply not. Nobody cares if the reviewer personally likes the game he reviews, one wants to get a somewhat objective impression to be able to decide if the games is worth playing for oneself.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's not about his opinion, it is about his review being useless because it doesn't give you an impression how the game actually is. IX is only a pale shadow of previous M&M games, setting is boring, reduced number of spells, more linear, etc + clearly being only in early beta stage at release. But in the review he praises stuff that earlier games did much better and leaves a out the flaws.

Not to defend IX here, which I've never played incidentally, but something like that can be said about the MMX too. It's a pale shadow of 6 and 7 in all respects (setting, levelling, exploration, scope, quests) except one - the combat. In previous MnMs the combat is simply terribad, there's no way around it, whereas in MMX it's one of the most enjoyable TB combats I've ever experienced. And because of that it's still a very enjoyable game.

I've always avoided the IX but if it's the same kind of pale shadow like the MMX than I'm actually tempted to give a try. It's sitting there on my GOG shelf anyways...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom