Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
that Might and Magic Echo of Destruction mod released a new vid:

Zeriel

Arcane
Holy tits, I never realized 6-8 could benefit from hardware-forced AA. Running MM7 with 24X supersampling and it looks so much better. It's like I'm back on a glorious CRT once again.

Visperas

Augur
I've only played Legacy in the M&M series and Wiz8 in the Wizardry series and I wonder if the non-positioned party and the inability to choose who to attack are staples of the M&M series. If they are what does M&M have on Wizardry? Apparently, Wiz is tactically deeper and overall more complex. What do you think?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've only played Legacy in the M&M series and Wiz8 in the Wizardry series and I wonder if the non-positioned party and the inability to choose who to attack are staples of the M&M series. If they are what does M&M have on Wizardry? Apparently, Wiz is tactically deeper and overall more complex. What do you think?

In MM1-2 positions matter, and you have front and back lines, and they are thus the most tactical of the M&M games, and IMO the best of the DOS era M&M games.
What the M&M games in general does better than the Wizardry games is exploration and loot, while the Wizardry games does combat and character development better.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I don't know, in MM1 my wizard in the sixth slot and cleric in the fifth can get hit by melee monsters in any combat. Not very often, but it is very possible.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't know, in MM1 my wizard in the sixth slot and cleric in the fifth can get hit by melee monsters in any combat. Not very often, but it is very possible.

I don't recall the specifics of how MM1 worked, but it may be due to large front row due to open terrain, or some of your characters being incapacitated, or monsters may have some special attacks that allows them to hit back rows.
In any case, it's definitely more tactical than MM3-5.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

In MM1-2 positions matter, and you have front and back lines, and they are thus the most tactical of the M&M games, and IMO the best of the DOS era M&M games.
What the M&M games in general does better than the Wizardry games is exploration and loot, while the Wizardry games does combat and character development better.
MM1-2 also allows the player to select the target of each attack, adding another layer of tactics.

I don't recall the specifics of how MM1 worked, but it may be due to large front row due to open terrain, or some of your characters being incapacitated, or monsters may have some special attacks that allows them to hit back rows.
In any case, it's definitely more tactical than MM3-5.
It has to do with enemy positioning. Characters in slots 1 and 2 are always on the front line. Characters ins lots 3 and 4 are attacked less often (but still frequent), and the ones on slots 5 and 6 are relatively safe. Sometimes an enemy can flank you in a 2x2 room, so that characters 1, 2, 4, 6 or 1, 2, 3, 5 are attacked in melee combat.
And octavius is right, when characters become incapacitated, the monsters can advance and attack your back-rank characters.
Regarding open terrain, you can be surrounded when you are in the center of a room, such as the Arena in the Sorpigal cave/dungeon.

catfood

AGAIN
Quick MM6 question: the prerequisite for air mastery is archmage. My question is, does that mean that only sorcerers can eventually get it, or can archers and druids who are honorary archmages get it as well?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MM1-2 also allows the player to select the target of each attack, adding another layer of tactics.
Huh? Pretty sure every single game lets you do that....

Quick MM6 question: the prerequisite for air mastery is archmage. My question is, does that mean that only sorcerers can eventually get it, or can archers and druids who are honorary archmages get it as well?
Honorary works too, so archers and druids also get it. MM6 has no limit on who can master what - if the class can learn the skill at all, then can master it, no limitations, no exceptions.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Huh? Pretty sure every single game lets you do that....
Sorry, that was bad wording on my part. Visperas mentioned "inability to choose who to attack" and then octavius said "in MM1-2 positions matter, and you have front and back lines, and they are thus the most tactical of the M&M games", so I was trying to show that MM supported tactics from the first game engine.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity

The specifics are whether or not your characters are in melee (marked with a +). If they are they can be attacked by monsters that are also in melee (also marked with a +). Some monsters with ranged attacks or spells can also target back line characters even if they are out of melee. It isn't so much about flanking as it is about advancing in the ranks, which monsters can do but your characters cannot.

jdinatale

Cipher
I was thinking about getting World of Xeen after hearing how massive it is. How long would a first playthrough take for someone who has never played a Might and Magic game before?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was thinking about getting World of Xeen after hearing how massive it is. How long would a first playthrough take for someone who has never played a Might and Magic game before?

You could easily spend over a hundred hours exploring every quest and location in Might and Magic 4/5: Worlds of Xeen. I had surgery and was laid up for a week. I had spent about two months getting halfway through Worlds of Xeen before my procedure. I spent almost every waking hour playing that game during the week I was recovering and had just barely finished the major final quest of the combined game on my last day of recovery. And I still didn't beat every dungeon.

Dorateen

Arcane
True story. I blew out our computer's first SVGA monitor playing World Of Xeen. Right before taking on the gamma gazer. Probably overheated in the summer of '95. Couldn't play for the last few weeks of August, and resumed in September.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Was the title screen music for the DOS version of MM1 lifted from somewhere? I always felt it sounded familiar, but my aural vocabulary is pretty limited.

Not that I can tell, no. But it was a catchy tune - one of my favourite PC speaker tracks, next to Test Drive 2: The Duel's title music.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Druid - can't learn gm magic = can't do shit. Also, with two easily accessible black potion shops in the game, GM alchemy is kinda useless.
For lack of any other decent options for the class, I just pumped Fire magic from the start, non stop up to 30+ points. Then grabbed promotion since it's so easy (you just touch the stones) and nuked maps with Meteor Shower.
Also dabbled into Body magic a little.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I always felt that bows were almost mandatory early on but became pea shooters later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom