Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Multi-headed Cow

That was after the 200 skeletons and my fighting retreat. Finally cleared it though, and even found secrets! Now everybody's level 10 and I'm starting to get paralyzed with indecision about where to spend my skillpoints. I got spirit expert on Smug the paladin, meditation expert on SMA the cleric and Menckenstein the sorc, and fire expert on Menckenstein along with fireball, and expert disarm trap on Bruticis the archer. Since I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a fire master in Mist I'm thinking about bumping fire up to master 'cause fireball is mighty nice. For the rest of the party I'm waffling, though I also need to go to Ironfist and buy a better heal spell. Also might've gotten my cleric to master body magic, can't remember. Last night was a blur of after-dungeon leveling and inventory/party management.

Just did the islands at Mist, was a hell of a lot easier than the temple of Baa. Also picked up some resistance spells and useful sounding utility spells but still no damn Lloyd's Beacon.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
OK so you weren't still at the stairs, my bad :)

"even found secrets" suggest you might be missing a couple or three.

Agreeing with sceptic. That dungeon is incredible. Tightly knit, satisfying and rewarding (from what I remember).

Multi-headed Cow

"even found secrets" suggest you might be missing a couple or three.
Heavens, that's a lot of secrets. What I found was the two hidden treasure rooms up the stairs behind the gong (Found them before I did the big key-shuffle) and a torch that had 5,000 gold mysteriously, which I found while in my clicking mania to try to open up the treasure rooms before I found the keys.

Just did the temple of Tsantsa which I bumbled in to 'cause I took a ship ride to Booty Bay or whatever it's called since I hadn't been there yet. Did my general "Save, buff up, then do a banzai run to see if I think I can tackle the dungeon" and sure enough I could. All the cobras caused some poisoning (My #1 use for potions so far) but I cleared it out. Found a hidden treasure room in that dungeon too, but there wasn't really anything noteworthy in it. Rescued some chick who is stuck in my party, so I assume I'm supposed to take her somewhere but IIRC she doesn't say where she wants to go so I guess she's just gonna travel with me for a while.
Ring of fire is pretty great I gotta say. I got a belt somewhere (I don't think it was from Tsantsa, I think it was when I cleared out those islands at Mist) with mana regen which I stuck on my sorc. Kinda wish I had more of them, my paladin can only bless, heroism, and then have enough mana left for a single bless after that.

Gotta say the dungeons in 6 are more interesting than the dungeons in Xeen so far. Xeen's dungeons worked well with the more laid-back gameplay it had in general, but seems like these dungeons have more secrets and switches and a more interesting layout.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
There's a damsel in distress quest given in Ironfist (I think). Also someone somewhere gives you a quest to specifically find her and bring her home. Best to go to Ironfist first then look around for the person that wants her back (bootleg bay circus area maybe, can't remember for sure). [\spoiler]

Multi-headed Cow

There's a damsel in distress quest given in Ironfist (I think). Also someone somewhere gives you a quest to specifically find her and bring her home. Best to go to Ironfist first then look around for the person that wants her back (bootleg bay circus area maybe, can't remember for sure). [\spoiler]
Oh, good point. I forgot about damsel in distress even though I have the quest. Unfortunately
they won't let me back into the castle because Nicolai is missing. He ran off, the little shit!

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Not sure you want this, where to find the little shit...

Let's go to the circus ;) Depending on the time of year it'll be in a different place. I remember only stumbling on it a very long time after Nicolai ran off.[\spoiler]

Luzur

Good Sir
That was after the 200 skeletons and my fighting retreat. Finally cleared it though, and even found secrets! Now everybody's level 10 and I'm starting to get paralyzed with indecision about where to spend my skillpoints. I got spirit expert on Smug the paladin, meditation expert on SMA the cleric and Menckenstein the sorc, and fire expert on Menckenstein along with fireball, and expert disarm trap on Bruticis the archer. Since I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a fire master in Mist I'm thinking about bumping fire up to master 'cause fireball is mighty nice. For the rest of the party I'm waffling, though I also need to go to Ironfist and buy a better heal spell. Also might've gotten my cleric to master body magic, can't remember. Last night was a blur of after-dungeon leveling and inventory/party management.

Just did the islands at Mist, was a hell of a lot easier than the temple of Baa. Also picked up some resistance spells and useful sounding utility spells but still no damn Lloyd's Beacon.

well, you are supposed to go to the Temple of Baa after level 10, but as you've seen, its doable before level 10, if you are skilled.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
After a long break I returned to M&M I. Strange thing I can't restore my spell points anymore! I rest at an inn but nothing happens. Never had such problem before.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
After a long break I returned to M&M I. Strange thing I can't restore my spell points anymore! I rest at an inn but nothing happens. Never had such problem before.

Inns are just for saving the game, and creating and adding/removing party members, aren't they?
Try resting elsewhere.

artakserkso

Educated
After a long break I returned to M&M I.
Heh, that's funny. Exactly what I did and just came to write about.

I was really levelling up slowly in Sorpigal and the game was dragging along, so I phased out of my initial excitement and stopped playing my level 4 party for quite a while.

I returned to the game recently, and in two or three evenings my wizard became level 5 (thereby getting the pretty powerful Lightning bolt spell). I was still sceptical of reaching level 6 with anyone, having drudged through the town as I did earlier. However, just now I discovered that the Corridor of endless encounters wasn't as dangerous as it first sounded (I avoided it back then), probably in no small part thanks to all those neat new spells. After a very short game of mowing down a horde of enemies in the Corridor all Predator-minigun-like, I now have level 5/5/5/6/6/6 chars and some goodies like Plate Armor +2 and near infinite (for my standards so far) gold and gems.

What can I say, my dear fellows... It was absolutely glorious. :obviously:

Multi-headed Cow

Uh... Ok. I will agree to this EULA to play MM6.

es5OX2U.jpg

No idea why that popped up. Didn't get anything before.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, who cares about some text that nobody read.
Better to bait people to spend their not that hardly earned euros into another aaaa/indie crap.

Luzur

Good Sir
just wanted to bump this thread and give out the link to the new homepage of Echo of Destruction, that russian mod of MM8: http://www.moddb.com/mods/might-and-magic-viii-echo-of-destruction

1384121442zstz.png

also seems a Heroes of Might and Magic Mount and Blade mod is being made:

So a few weeks ago I found myself searching for the Erathian Banner.
And I found something quite interesting on a random Forum.
Introducing: Chronicles of Might and Magic (Heroes 3 - Mount & Blade mod)
(Note, this is a copy of the original forum )

Chronicles of Might and Magic

From the book of Cuthbert, Erathian cleric and royal scribe:

The year 1165 after the Silence, king Nicolas Gryphonheart dies. Kingdom of Erathia is driven into chaos and anarchy. Hostile bordering nations take advantage from disorder. From south-west wild beasts and barbarian tribes of Krewlod rise in power. From west kingdom of Tatalia, inhabited by monstrous creatures from wild swamps and lizardmen. Our northern borders are under constant attacks from Deyja, kingdom of evil necromancers and their undead minions. We can count on our only allies, elvish kingdom of Avlee. Our alliance is fragile but it is our only hope.
Kingdom without its leader is weak, and because of that whole Erathia, from poorest pheasant, to most noble of knight are pointing theirs eyes onto Erenoth. Where from rightful heir of throne is going to arrive. Her name is Catherine Ironfist.
Despite of crisis, sun is still rising upon our realm and everything seems to be normal, although you can sense dread and disquiet in the air.
Year 1165 will be year of sing of thunderstorm and unrest...

We want to introduce you mod to Mount and Blade Warband game. Action is set in realms known to you from Might and Magic series. We are going to provide you opportunity to become hero, join one of five factions and decide about fate of whole continent. You will take part in epic battles with creatures you know from Heroes games.

Here is short movie introducing you in ourproject

Mod will allow you to:

-Explore Antagariach, continent where action of HoMM3 take place.

-Hire creatures known from series and meet and interact with heroes like Gelu, Sandro or Cragg Hack.

-Collect unique artifacts known from 3DO games.

-Study secrets of magic and cast spells. You will be able to be mage, sorcerer, necromancer, lich, shaman or witch.

-Join one of 5 factions - Erathia, Avlee, Deyja, Krewlod or Tatalia

-Take part in astonishing main plot and side campaigns for every faction.

-Have great time playing it.

CoMM Team :

Mr.Bio - 3D Graphics, Textures, Rigging
Devil_Imp - Plot, Dialogs, Music, Public Relations
Mat_Berserker - Scripts, 3D Graphics, Animations
Filcefix - Level Design and Concept Arts

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,256876.0.html

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
JVC's LinkedIn profile seems to be private now: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jon-van-caneghem/3/a77/ab3

I wonder if anything else changed?

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=346652#346652

Julien Pirou said:
I'm sorry to read that. I know the project had a long and complicated development, and when we met him at GamesCom JVC was happy and relieved that it was finally going to see the light of day.

Although it would be awesome to work with JVC on future Might & Magic projects, it's probably easier said than done. I think to be meaningful his involvement would require him to be a real part of the dev team, working closely with them on a day-to-day basis. But the M&M core team is located in Paris, France, and most of the dev studios we work with are somewhere in Europe. Would JVC be willing, or even able, to come work here? It's probably not so simple.

In any case, the closure of EA Victory does not necessarily mean JVC himself is out of a job. Maybe he will just integrate another part of EA.

A couple of weeks ago, the latest game in the Command & Conquer series was cancelled by EA Games. Jon Van Caneghem was the general manager, so hopefully he will work on something closer to his RPG roots. I love the C&C series, but I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed the reboot attempt by EA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_&_Conquer_(2013_video_game)

Let me guess...cancelled because the developers couldn't find a way of making an RTS game even minimally sufficiently balanced to be successful while making support units and key strategies DLC only?

Doubt that was the direct reason, as EA probably wouldn't realise that withholding units and strategic options would crucify sales, but it would add development difficulties while the designers (who would be well aware of balance problems, even if they lack the resources to fix them) try to salvage something sellable.

Even if it didn't factor in, RTS games really underline how idiotic EA's 'every game must have item/unit DLC' policy is. RTS should be a goldmine for PC gaming in an era when companies are terrified (with good reason) of piracy. A game design that is primarily online, and where you can route all games through your central servers (making DRM a part of the core product, and actually desired by players in order to minimise hacks), should be amongst EA's core genres. To place barriers in the form of DLC is simply moronic, especially as there's no room for opting in/out of DLC in online RTS - either everyone gets the extra units/maps so they can play each other, or the extras are excluded from competition and nobody bothers.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A couple of weeks ago, the latest game in the Command & Conquer series was cancelled by EA Games. Jon Van Caneghem was the general manager, so hopefully he will work on something closer to his RPG roots. I love the C&C series, but I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed the reboot attempt by EA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_&_Conquer_(2013_video_game)

Let me guess...cancelled because the developers couldn't find a way of making an RTS game even minimally sufficiently balanced to be successful while making support units and key strategies DLC only?

See here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...r-cancelled-and-victory-studios-closed.87431/

Luzur

Good Sir
guize GUIZE

WoX2 demo is out!11!

We decided to put our past achievements as a demo version, because sure there are people who would be interested to see this.

The demo contains one open location and one dungeon.
The method of distribution - freeware.

Download the demo version :
Version 0.8.1 . ( for Windows XP) -
https://disk.yandex.ru/public/?hash=6M1aFy02EmvcAG0l8KGsOjcpi7a0U6WI3u2Ler0lYqc=

Version 0.8.2 (Windows 7/Vista) -
https://disk.yandex.ru/public/?hash=WvHxlzkBKuxuDsDOlcyyDSqor/qwPhE1FxCKy/J/EHs=

Our forum: http://wox2.org/forum/

Controls:
WASD - movement
Q - switch viewing modes (MM6-8 style OR first-person shooter style)
ctrl - stealth mode
alt - jump
space - tactical pause (you can use spells in this mode)
enter - classic turn-based combat. Enemies must be at close range.

About the project :

Start of development : 18.12.2009 .
Termination of development : somewhere in February 2013.

Minimum system requirements:

Operating system - Windows XP/Vista/7
Video Card - 512MB , OpenGL 2.1 support
Processor 1.5 GHz
300 MB free hard disk space

Description: RPG in the first person . The player's task to manage a party of four characters, explore the area, improve skills , complete quests .
The game was planned in a modified setting of Might & Magic 6-8. Events occur prior to the collision of two blades which led to the death of the planet. Action game should have happened on the island Vori . We have revised the story suggesting that the climate has changed on the island after Kilgor cleared so-called "the Sword of Frost" ( events Heroes Chronicles).

Project History :
In early 2010, resumed drafting World of Xeen 2 . Planned as a working title , which will be subsequently modified . The team was actually collected again. Was seriously modified game engine and a new game content .

During the development was done:
- Graphics engine
- The level editor , dialogues and objects. Loading the remaining data derived from tables.
- Skeletal animation
- Batch Management - moving , melee, ranged , interaction with NPC, the choice of objects in the scene (eg opening boxes ) , stealth mode
- game system - slightly modified system of Might & Magic 6th and 7th part
- Many different art : textures, models , characters, sounds and music
- A huge number of 2D images of items for game inventory
- Interface : main window , statistics , inventory, dialog windows, alchemy, map of the area , the start menu
- 7 open locations
- 5 dungeons
- A few quests
- About 20 spells (almost everything is in demo version)
- Turn-based combat system
- Combat system in real time

Taken from other sources :
- Some of the textures are taken from cgtextures.com
- Some sounds taken from freesound.org

Old stuff

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZONwMafXa0
Battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bk34Vly7Fw[url][/URL]

Luzur

Good Sir

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Someone over at GOG asked me:
If not for the story, what do you play it for?

Does anyone actually play the M&M and HoMM games for the story?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom