Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

aleph

Arcane
laclongquan said:
I dont play MM series much. The exception, obviously, is MM8 which satisfy me on many levels. MM7 I tried twice, both abandoned with disgust.

You like MM8 but are disgusted by MM7? Wtf is wrong with you?

Luzur

Good Sir
aleph said:
laclongquan said:
I dont play MM series much. The exception, obviously, is MM8 which satisfy me on many levels. MM7 I tried twice, both abandoned with disgust.

prob autistic.

it sounds damn weird though, since they both are practically the same game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
made said:
Fate: Gates of Dawn did something along those lines. You had multiple parties and could switch between them at will, send them off separately or work together to solve certain puzzles. There were like 10 races and 40 classes with unique skills and abilities that offered additional quest solutions.
A similar feature was one of the best things about Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan.

Anyway, who voted for VIII? Even after finishing VI and VII, VIII almost bored me to death. What did I do wrong? What is good about this title?

empi

Augur
Worlds of Xeen.
:love:

Much better than all the modern ones in my opinion, only ones that come close are 3 and 6. It has the charm, decent turnbased combat, lovely graphics, good puzzles, dungeons, explorartion etc. Has no really fantastic features but is greater than the sum of its parts, comes together to make a very enjoyable dungeon romp.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM SPOILED POPAMOLE SOMETIMES BUT 4-5 WAS A VERY FUN EXPERIENCE FOR ME AND LESS PAINFUL TO GET USED TO THAN ULTIMA 4

THERE IS A DEFINITE SENSE OF PROGRESSION AND THE EXPLORATION IS FUN EMPI POSTED BEST ABOUT IT

Zomg

Arbiter
3 is almost the same as Xeen if you haven't played it, Xeen was basically a same-engine, art-reusing fast sequel a la Doom II. The main difference is that the art quality and inventory system is slightly worse and it's marginally more annoying to exploit the holy bonus/heroism/etc. type buffs. Also hirelings. And rangers/druids suck more because they can't learn Lloyd's Beacon IIRC.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Zomg said:
And rangers/druids suck more because they can't learn Lloyd's Beacon IIRC.
In 3? A ranger/druid is practically required, unless you enjoy having to constantly reenchant a Walk On Water item. Hirelings are great but they're a horrible drain on cash, and 3 was the first MM game where cash is a problem (the other being 5).

Zomg

Arbiter
I played a whole game without having a WW caster and it wasn't a big deal, got the WW item like halfway through the game and I don't remember having to recharge it. Having two beaconers is way, way more convenient and powerful. You could do both without much trouble though, so eh.

visions

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
reaven said:
Im playing m&m 6 for the first time, and Im getting raped by hordes of goblins

Hint: exploit stupid AI and ranged weapons. This is the key to understanding playing M&M6.

Also, you might try to use turn-based mode if you're not doing it already (Enter switches between tb and real-time), easier to avoid getting overwhelmed that way. I find engaging enemies in turn-based mode much less tedious then shooting/spamming your quickspells while running back in real time (especially in dungeons).

SkeleTony

Augur
Luzur said:
aleph said:
laclongquan said:

prob autistic.

Not even. M&M 8 had a bunch of retarded nonsense...playing dragons and minotaurs and shit as "classes"(?!). Retarded overall gameplay, quest, etc. Used the by then WAY outdated M&M 6/7 engine(practically build engine era graphics and this thing was released like in or around 2000-2001 IRC) which is not an issue for me but still...

SkeleTony

Augur
Mastermind said:
anyone know if armsmaster affects unarmed damage (in 7)?

Good question. I don't know the answer since I never used unarmed comabt. I will dig a bit and try to find the answer...

SkeleTony

Augur
I cannot find any specific mention of this at any of the forums or in any of the guides I am aware of. From the description of Armsmaster skill I would say it most likely applies to unarmed combat since ALL combat in M&M 7 is either melee or missile and Armsmaster is described as applying to all "melee" skills.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SkeleTony said:
Luzur said:
aleph said:
laclongquan said:

prob autistic.

Not even. M&M 8 had a bunch of retarded nonsense...playing dragons and minotaurs and shit as "classes"(?!). Retarded overall gameplay, quest, etc. Used the by then WAY outdated M&M 6/7 engine(practically build engine era graphics and this thing was released like in or around 2000-2001 IRC) which is not an issue for me but still...

If 8 uses the same engine as 6/7 then :love:

Definitely gonna take it for a spin.

One of the reasons why I avoided playing 7 until now is because i had been under the horribly mistaken impression that the game's feel is completely different.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SkeleTony said:
I cannot find any specific mention of this at any of the forums or in any of the guides I am aware of. From the description of Armsmaster skill I would say it most likely applies to unarmed combat since ALL combat in M&M 7 is either melee or missile and Armsmaster is described as applying to all "melee" skills.

Ok thanks. I was wondering because the skill description says "weapons", though I don't see why they'd let the monk master it if it did not affect unarmed. Then again, most buff spells did not work in 6 so i wouldn't put anything past 3do. :smug:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
SkeleTony said:
Used the by then WAY outdated M&M 6/7 engine(practically build engine era graphics and this thing was released like in or around 2000-2001 IRC) which is not an issue for me but still...
Still what? the engine was 2 years old in MM8. TWO FUCKING YEARS OLD. There is no "still". Of all the criticisms you can level at MM8, saying "engine was outdated" is high level graphic whoring. Also, MM6 engine did terrain in a way that Build couldn't dream of. Not to mention it was true 3D, unlike Build (which had to rely on tricks. Clever tricks, but still tricks).

Mastermind said:
I was wondering because the skill description says "weapons", though I don't see why they'd let the monk master it if it did not affect unarmed.
Might be because he can master Staff IIRC, and use it in a cool combo with unarmed. Now you'd need to find out if THAT particular combo is affected by Armsmaster...

DaveO

Erudite
From my search of the TELP MM7 Taverns, there seems to no effect for Armsmaster with the Unarmed skill. Unarmed will work with Staff, but Armsmaster won't impact Staff or Unarmed damage for the Monk. The only effect is to increase the To Hit value.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom