Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Bros, did last castle upgrade, went sleeping irl, woke up - now scummvm gives me this.

RffK5UE.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
ScumVM ?
Is it a kind of Dosbox ?
Can't help you either, you're probably better off with a search engine.

Or you can try to run it with dosbox, config could be a pain though, if you don't put it in the game directory to run multiple games with it.

Vance, one of my favorite Sci-fi / fantasy writer, maybe even my favorite.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
ScumVM ?
Is it a kind of Dosbox ?
Can't help you either, you're probably better off with a search engine.

Or you can try to run it with dosbox, config could be a pain though, if you don't put it in the game directory to run multiple games with it.

It is Virtual Machine designed to run classic adventure games and not only them. MM:WoX runs smoother with it than with DosBox.
Currently Vance is my top sci-fantasy writer: "Cugel's Saga" and "Planet of Adventure" series are my favorites.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is Virtual Machine designed to run classic adventure games and not only them. MM:WoX runs smoother with it than with DosBox.
I used that to play Grim Fandango some years ago. Luckily that's not necessary anymore. What exactly was the problem with WoX? It worked fine when I tried it in DOSBox. Mouse input?

ScummVM support of WoX is still experimental afaik, so bugs are expected. Post your issue on the official forums, maybe.

And yes, the biggest problem with WoX in DOSBox is mouse polling, to get a smooth input you have to turn the cycles up, which in turn fucks up the animation speed.

Last edited:
There's no way you can get level 50 without doing significant amounts of Darkside. Clouds is pretty much hard capped at level 20 or so.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I know my party was lvl 55 a few days after I completed Clouds, and I didn't do any Darkside stuff.
Evidently they leveled up a hell of a lot those few days. :D

But I know they were around lvl 90 at the end of Darkside.

Last edited:
We had a similar discussion earlier in the thread. I have no idea why people are misremembering WoX's leveling so incorrectly. Unless there's some way to sequence break into post-game content and get massive XP amounts? Even then you need to go to Darkside to level and I doubt you'd have the money.

It has been a while, but I think you could go way past level 20 in Clouds alone. I used to own Clouds but not Darkside, and while I don't remember at what level I finished the game, I am pretty sure it was past level 50.

Don't think you can even find trainers that go that high in Clouds. Gamefaqs backs me up and says trainers cap at 20. There's a few permanent level boosters, if you leveled to 20 then went back you could probably get to level 23 or something, and then stack on up to (I think) +15 temporary levels from fountains to max out at level 38ish.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Slower fps than in scumvm.

Ok, i figured out how to play my saves again, now my 13lvl party is at castle Xeen. What lvl did you beat Clouds?

I believe you just have to rummage through the config ini to fix this, there's a lot of infos about dosbox config for MM3-5 out there.

Around lvl 20-30, you can trash anything living on the surface in Clouds, didn't do every dungeon though, i stopped playing it for a while (playing both M&M III and Xeen at the same time was probably ambitious, i'll get back to it later ).
Be careful about going to Darkside if you don't use the spawn mod, without reduced xp rewards from darkside, doing one quest there will give you too much xp, not talking about a couple of them, you'd ruin your Cloudside experience.

Strange Fellow Tsss Locust plagues, was so serious back then, i think i prefer the "Oh No! Bugs" from M&M 3

Well, i've read every single novel from Jack Vance i could lay my hand on but i'm not sure everything was translated / imported in Europe so i might have missed some of them, probably some short novels at least.
If you didn't, you should check "A quest for Simbilis" a Jack Vance's tribute from Michael Shea.
The Tschaï cycle was also really good, i mean, i was never disappointed, reading Jack Vance.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2rw7o0n.jpg

Locust Plagues? Pff, they do like 5 damage per hit

2qiuuiw.jpg

fuck
Life gets so much easier once your Sorcerer can cast Fire Ball.
Yes, it did. My party is level 8 in this screenshot. :negative:
Those bugs are tenacious fuckers, and since AOE attacks can kill unconscious party members my sorcerer never got to act at all. Still, it was mostly bad luck, and I beat them on the second attempt.
I liked your review, by the way. Your site's pretty cool, the "tips for beginners" thing is a nice feature.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
ScummVM support of WoX is still experimental afaik, so bugs are expected. Post your issue on the official forums, maybe.

And yes, the biggest problem with WoX in DOSBox is mouse polling, to get a smooth input you have to turn the cycles up, which in turn fucks up the animation speed.

The ScummVM port is definitely still very rough around the edges (and the music/sfx are borked), but being able to use the CD voices alongside the textbox dialogue is a massive plus.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
How do i protect my weapons from lava golems damage? It is annoying returning to smith after few fights.

I believe you just have to rummage through the config ini to fix this, there's a lot of infos about dosbox config for MM3-5 out there.

I figured it out with Scumvm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom