Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.5%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.3%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sharpmetal is nice if you have spell points.
But if I were to fight them I would use Dragon Breath on the Captains, and Starburst on groups of lesser devils.

I found out that I had to resort to Invisibility.
The devils are much more manageable inside when they can't cast Meteor Shower, and the Fireballs are relatively harmless.

As for the extremely cheesy (but then one may of course argue that cheese is a big part of the M&M diet) tactic of flying up and down in turn based to evade spells, that's like going to a prostitute; I'm not that desperate.

Anyway, I seem to have more problems with free roaming Devils and Titans in MM7 than I had in MM6.
My characters are now level 62.
Nah grand master sparks clears them well. Just have beacon in and teleport to harmondale's church for healing when you are on low.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yes, that's very nice, but the fucking problem is the Devil Captains draining all spell points, so that means no teleport.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes, that's very nice, but the fucking problem is the Devil Captains draining all spell points, so that means no teleport.
A few magic potions could be enough to cast the spell. Also don't you have at least two casters? Just teleport out,heal and teleport back in. Also there is the resting. All those devils outside you can just ignore. At this point you shouldn't have much problem with the devils even without the casters,nicely buffed party could do a short work of them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
A few magic potions could be enough to cast the spell. Also don't you have at least two casters? Just teleport out,heal and teleport back in. Also there is the resting. All those devils outside you can just ignore. At this point you shouldn't have much problem with the devils even without the casters,nicely buffed party could do a short work of them.

I only have one Elemental caster.
And it was the devils outside I was discussing. If it wasn't for the Meteor Shower spells, I agree a "nicely buffed party could do a short work of them".
Even with 100+ Fire Resistance the MS spells are deadly if the party is on ground.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I only have one Elemental caster.
And it was the devils outside I was discussing. If it wasn't for the Meteor Shower spells, I agree a "nicely buffed party could do a short work of them".
Even with 100+ Fire Resistance the MS spells are deadly if the party is on ground.
Well then fly on a low velocity with feather fall. Blasters could do the job,you can shoot them from outside their range,expert level is pretty accessible. You could try out to single out an enemy,run in kill him and run out. Why do you insist on killing them?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished the first dungeon in Isles of Terra, it was an ...interesting experience. I've got a few questions, however. Do you have to learn swimming with all of your chars? Do you know the stats of items with Detect Magic? What do I do after the first dungeon? I freed Morpheous, or whatever his name was, but he didn't give me any other quest, do I have to roam outside the city to progress?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I finished the first dungeon in Isles of Terra, it was an ...interesting experience. I've got a few questions, however. Do you have to learn swimming with all of your chars? Do you know the stats of items with Detect Magic? What do I do after the first dungeon? I freed Morpheous, or whatever his name was, but he didn't give me any other quest, do I have to roam outside the city to progress?
It is good to have all the skills with all characters,those that don't have swimming take damage from what i remember. Always deposite most of your money and gems in the bank,those thing multiply faster than a kebabs at a german bazaar. Don't remember about detect magic,i think that the only way is to identify them at a shop. As for the last question.....fucking explore and have fun,it is not like there is an order at which to do shit. MM games are always about the player freedom.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I found out that I had to resort to Invisibility.
:negative:
I only used invi to get an early town portal by passing around the Minotaurs and the evil eyes.

Well, if I had an Archer or Druid instead of the Monk or the Knight I could have used the Town Portal out as soon as one of the two casters are drained tactic.
As it is, I'm leaving the Devils alone for the time being, concentrating on the Dragons and Titans. At least they play fair.

But what the hell is up with this?
FEvrRip.jpg

Titans and Dragons living together in perfect harmony?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Joke aside why do you have that enemy lightning put on? It looks terrible and all the unique visuals of the enemy's texture is lost.

Duh! I didn't even realize I had "Tinted Lights" on.

But I don't think it looks that much better with it off. Less cartoony, sure, but hey this is M&M, not a serious fantasy simulator.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer

Resistances are not that hot, though.

Here's the resistance/amount of damage you take ratio:

0 100%
20 75%
40 60%
60 50%
100 39%
150 31%
200 26%
300 20%

39% eventual damage may sound nice but, considering that meteor strike can hit for 200-300 hp easily, that means the eventual 120 hp lost per cast. And pumping it further doesn't change much, unfortunately.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Storyfag I was assuming Master Water. At lower levels of Water, TP will take you to the last visited town. At Master it gives you the choice of all available TP destinations, including the ones you have never visited. The point is that drinking from the fountain is never required; simply being in the town is what makes it count as "last visited" at lower levels.

Unless I'm completely misremembering, which is always possible, but I doubt it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Mega Dragon? More like Mega Buffoon.
With no resistance he went down faster than a professional football player inside the penalty area.

1Pck0s6.jpg

Also, this area seems to have been bugged.
See that red spot on the mini-map?
That's supposed to be a Blue Dragon, but it couldn't be attacked physically there, and the party couldn't move past it either. Instead the dragon's attacks came from further behind, within the wall. So I killed it with missile fire, but couldn't loot the body.
Weird. I thougt it was the "real" Mega Dragon and that the previous one was just a decoy or something, but it was just a bug.

EDIT:
Look what I found on YouTube, Luzur

Luzur
10 years ago
yeah i remember that invisible wall, i think i somehow jumped over it.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Unlike mountaineer (every guide says it's only 2 party members needed, never confirmed, i give it to all of them, even hirelings), everyone has to get swimming.

I never use detect magic, just tried though, no, it doesn't give items stats, just remaining charges (for items with bound spells). Here's the cluebook description : "Reveals any magical items in a Party Member’s
backpack, and notes the number of uses remaining for charged items. "

About what to do, as fantadomat said, Might & Magic doesn't hold your hand, just explore, you'll get some quests from people outside (tents and caravans ) and in the next city you come accross and there is plenty of side quests.
Also, hirelings often have dungeon keys in their backpacks, it might be interesting to try them all, you can get the keys by other means, still ...

Lacrymas

Arcane
I got to Baywatch, I can identify equipment in stores. Sorcerors have pretty powerful spells all things considered, Lightning Bolt ravages mobs.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Lacrymas

If you have a knight, there is a knight in a trailer in the screamers forest; south from baywatch, knight's point; whom can improve some of his stats up to 25 (if i remember correctly).
Better to visit him before getting too many boosts.

Screamers are annoying, though, if you don't have enough good projectiles weapons.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Nah, I replaced the Knight with a Ninja, no idea if that was a good choice, but she wields an acidic katana, so that's badass enough for me.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
it's good enough if you fired the thief, with some + thievery equipment or more xp than the rest, the ninja does well.

My team : Barbarian, Knight, Paladin, Cleric, Sorcerer, Ninja + Druid and Archer/Samouraï hirelings.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
I always roll my own guys in the MM games. It's more fun. The standard party works but I put in a guy that uses Druid spells so you can use walk on water. It's very handy to have. I think I replaced the archer (fighter/mage) for the ranger (fighter / druid).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
With hirelings you'll have all classes represented.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom