Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Edmund Spenser

Educated
It's for Mastering. Getting Dark master is easy. Light master is a lot trickier because you can't just nuke the world into acceptance :negative:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dungeons really have declined since the olden days, haven't they? The first two dungeons in MM6 are huge and sprawling, crawling with enemies that will win the attrition war if you couldn't rest or go back to town. Both of them devolve into brown corridors/caves in the end, though, but it somehow adds to the atmosphere and I'm not annoyed by it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think it's kinda fun to find the ruins-under-the-temple corridors in these, like you said it adds a lot to the atmosphere. I remember particularly liking it in Abandoned Temple.

Also, if you think these are good, just wait until you get to the Temple of Baa and Tomb of VARN.

And Castle Darkmoor :troll:

Glad to see you're enjoying the game. It's big and long, maybe a little too long, and I start feeling a bit of fatigue by the time I get to the end, but it's still one of the best exploration-focused games ever made.

It's for Mastering. Getting Dark master is easy. Light master is a lot trickier because you can't just nuke the world into acceptance :negative:
There's one MQ that I think sets your fame to Saintly, not to mention almost all quests raise your fame, so it's not that hard. Also I think you can raise fame by donating to temples. I don't remember ever having a problem mastering both schools.

Edmund Spenser

Educated
There's one MQ that I think sets your fame to Saintly, not to mention almost all quests raise your fame, so it's not that hard. Also I think you can raise fame by donating to temples. I don't remember ever having a problem mastering both schools.

You can donate up to one rank above Neutral I think, and good fame will fade with time so you kinda need to plan ahead a bit, but yeah. I just meant it's harder than literally casting one spell.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeap, it's a pretty cool game once you are in the mindset to enjoy a blobber in general. I wouldn't have populated the game with so many enemies, it does kinda feel like the RPG version of Serious Sam, but eh, that's a small grievance. I haven't even properly gotten into the meat of things yet but it's still way more compelling than the nu-RPGs. It might be the novelty factor of just now starting to appreciate blobbers, but I think being a good game also plays into it.

Curratum

Ok, you fucknuts, I've just got M&M 8 in the GOG sale, and am going to give it another chance.

Why 8? Because a) it's the only one that has a wide view and the interface is not made by monkeys and b) everyone says it's the shortest and this is a positive in my book, when the long ones take 150 hours.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I spent much more time finishing Jagged Alliance 2 that I did with any of the M&M games. Their length are exaggerated IMO, or people spend far too much time grinding and other autistic things that are not needed to win.

Yeap, it's a pretty cool game once you are in the mindset to enjoy a blobber in general. I wouldn't have populated the game with so many enemies, it does kinda feel like the RPG version of Serious Sam, but eh, that's a small grievance. I haven't even properly gotten into the meat of things yet but it's still way more compelling than the nu-RPGs. It might be the novelty factor of just now starting to appreciate blobbers, but I think being a good game also plays into it.

If you think the game has too many enemies and you're in Goblinwatch, I don't think you're going to make it through the whole thing.

And MM6 is one of those games that you like despite the combat. For combat, the earlier MMs (especially 1&2) are without question superior.

You play MM6 for the sheer amount of things to do and the freedom to explore and find weird shit out of the way that developers cared enough to put there. Cool dungeon layouts, too.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You play MM6 for the sheer amount of things to do and the freedom to explore and find weird shit out of the way that developers cared enough to put there. Cool dungeon layouts, too.

speak for yourself

i played it for all the ways it can be broken/exploited

octavius

Arcane
Patron
MM6 has the advantage that you can both play it much like a FPS, and use strafuing and backpedaling while shooting arrows.
Or you can play "fair" and play it turn based only.
Or mix the styles any way you want.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Turn-based will probably be excruciatingly slow when the real enemies start popping up.

Alkarl

Learned
Turn-based will probably be excruciatingly slow when the real enemies start popping up.

At that point it's mostly about countering resistances though. You'll definitely wanna use TB more often once enemies are able to spam high-level spells at your backside while you're running out of range. Where you're at right now, there isn't a whole lot of that, if any at all, but you're getting close. There are a few enemies in the vicinity of Castle Ironfist (one of the dungeons) that pissed me off so much the first time I came across it, I skipped that area til midgame.

Lacrymas

Arcane
M&M, both Heroes and the blobbers, have always had great music, even the music that is playing in New Sorpigal catches the ear as something unusually good.

Ravness

Educated
Currently on sale on GOG, any recommendations? I'm considering either 6 or 7 to grab while I'm currently playing through Heroes of might and magic 3

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
M&M, both Heroes and the blobbers, have always had great music, even the music that is playing in New Sorpigal catches the ear as something unusually good.
I will never forget that tune, it is burnt into my brain. Love it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, get all of them. They are like 5 euro. As far as I know, only 9 is a bit iffy because it's unfinished and extremely rushed. I have no idea if any unofficial patches fix it or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom