Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To all those who finished MM6 lately: Investing in Learning, hot or not?

T. Reich

Arcane
Expert learning is highly recommended for everyone.
Master learning is optional, only if you want to engage in some serious mob grinding.
If playing solo, I read that 15+ in learning is recommended.

Unlike very mob-exp-poor MM7, MM6 is quite generous with exp, so learning pays for itself.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Master Light and Dark Magic
dark magic is easy, just 1 armageddon within walls.
light magic needs a bit more preparation. You need to complete a bunch of quests without turning them in. Next you donate fortune in church and complete all of them rapidly, with town portal usage. I think there is hireling that helps with rep.

And you get them for different reasons: not for dmg spells but buffs.

I know, but I don't meta game, and I role play characters that don't nuke civilians.
My guys had quite high skill levels though, but I wasn't all that impressed with the damage output compared to the mana cost.

I'd say go for Master Learning.

I actually ran some numbers. My conclusion is:

- 1 Learning ASAP for obvious reasons.
- 7 Learning/Master around Free Haven/Level 20. If you get it at this point it will break even around level 35-40ish. Doesn't hurt to get it earlier but you won't lose much.
- 10 Learning breaks even around level 75.
- 15 Learning breaks even around level 90.

This is assuming you run with an instructor/teacher at all times (which actually makes Learning a worse investment since the modifiers are additive). Higher than this Learning becomes only useful for scoring purposes since the payback point is being drawn out to level 100+.

Also the +5% experience difference is worth taking a teacher over a scholar. The skill points gained across all 4 characters will payoff a Mastery of the identify skill on one character around level 30-35ish.

EDIT: Actually I fucked up describing my findings. When I said "breaks even around x", I meant it would break even around when you would normally reach that level without experience boosts. So more accurately, 7 learning breaks even when you reach around level 40-45 (without experience boosts you'd be around 30-35), 10 learning breaks even when it reaches level 95ish, 15 learning breaks even when it reaches level 120ish.

To show how much Learning eventually earns you, when you reach level 100 with 7 Learning/Master you'll be about 70 skill points ahead of a 1 Learning character (at around level 93). I should also mention that my "break even" points for over 7 learning are based on comparing x Learning vs. 7 Learning. 10/15 Learning are still earning you net skill points before then, just less than 7 Learning is.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Another thing that annoyed me in MM6 is that status effect spells are virtually useless. I tried Feeblemind on a Grand Druid once, and it worked; right clicking showed the Feeblemind message, but she didn't stop casting spells, so what's the bloody point?
Same with other spells: no point wasting time and mana on them, when a good damage spell is so much more effective and reliable.

Updated my Learning post, make sure to read the edit since I screwed up big time describing it.

TL;DR is that it's still good to get 7 Learning at a reasonably early point and then stop. There's a reasonable case for sticking with 1 Learning though, even 7 Learning takes a decent time to start paying off.

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whole mind school is bugged. None of the status effects actually do something.

Thx for the input regarding learning. I always ran the experience boost/identify companion. and otherwise ignored learning after the initial point.

Another thing is merchant. I always mastered it asap, but the more I think about it, the more I fancy the Idea of skipping it entirely and fully rely on goldfinger spell instead as soon as it is available.

Yes, I definitely agree with sticking at 1 Merchant if you get Light Expert in a reasonable timeframe. Early game most of your money comes from loot piles and quest rewards that Merchant doesn't help, and most of your money goes to training skills that Merchant doesn't help. In the midgame you're at least Expert Light which replicates Merchant's sell cost, so Merchant's advantage is limited to buying lots of spells or equipment, which you don't really need.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Was there anyone who started with older M&M and found enemy forces in M&M VI overwhelming?
I though the ridicilous amount of trashmobs was insane and devs were out of their mind when they did this.
They made cuts in numbers in IX and X.
Don't be discouraged by ugliness and bugs (I had basilisk sunk under floor in the castle that was meant to be cleared) of M&M IX, it's still worth your time to play.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Was there anyone who started with older M&M and found enemy forces in M&M VI overwhelming?
I though the ridicilous amount of trashmobs was insane and devs were out of their mind when they did this.
Yep. I suffered trough M&M 6-9. In enduring I've grown strong.
Well okay, I've had a little fun. But nowwhere near the fun I've had with parts 4, 5 and 10.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I started with 5 and 3, then moved on to 6. The hordes of enemies felt very weird to me at the start, but I got used to them pretty quickly.

The hordes at New Sorpigal are like sex when you come back with bows and gun down those mage fuckers like Robin Hood with an MG42. Just did it, boner wrecked my pants.

Also it's amusing to read up on the mechanics and figure out that armor is literally worse than useless for everyone but full casters since it lowers attack rates but not cast rates.

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
The hordes at New Sorpigal are like sex when you come back with bows and gun down those mage fuckers like Robin Hood with an MG42. Just did it, boner wrecked my pants.

Also it's amusing to read up on the mechanics and figure out that armor is literally worse than useless for everyone but full casters since it lowers attack rates but not cast rates.
I learn Fly and just make the rounds all over map.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I started M&M6 after World of Xeen and was very impressed by the battle against the skeletons at the temple of Baa. Very, very impressed, it was a jaw-dropping moment and I certainly thought they had gone out of their minds. Destroying them was a matter of shooting arrows until breaking my finger, but still is a really memorable fights if only for the preposterous number of enemies.

duchU

Educated
[...]

What I didn't like:

[...]
Castle Darkmoor. What else is there to say about this. The Varn pyramid wasn't half as bad for me.

[...]

How dare you?! This is the iconic location of the game, a fucking masterpiece relict of what MM series used to be and the times when there was no Google to check every possible shit and therefore spoil the fun. I hope you still have nightmares and vomit every time you see even a smallest and cutiest eye of any beholder out there cos that's what you deserve for for this outrageous blasphemy.

Jinn

Arcane
Has anyone used the Medieval Balance mod for Might and Magic VI? I'm attracted to it mainly for new character portraits and paperdolls, but I don't want to fuck up the game with the other changes.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
First you need to find working links, then we can talk about the changes.
screen1.1.jpg

I tried to seach these M&M VI mods. Found campaings for Dungeon Master-like games, minimod for Fallout1 and portraits pack for Arcanum.
What's the point of sharing all these things and not even responding to people asking for links. Not even Cleve-like "soon"...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom