Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how do you make screenshots in Might&Magic 6 (with Greyface patch)???
Do you need third party software?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
can you have both Light and Dark magic in the same party?
yes you can in M&M6
it change in later ones - in M&M VII you need to choose your castle master (dark or light), not sure about M&M VIII (you can pick priest and necromancer, both can go into elite class (lich and Priest of the sun for Grand Master Light and Dark magic) but I don't remeber if their class quests make them clash, same doubt with Might&Magic IX if you play it, it's not bad though, certainly have better dungeons than M&M VII and VIII.

Or only with difficulty, meaning having to meta game to swing Reputation from one end to the other?
Only if you want to Master both, IIRC. From best to worst reputation is very easy, compared to vice versa.

Get Master Light Magic ->Slaughter villages or two -> get Master in Dark Magic -> reach some temple and pay them to neutralize hostility.
Is there a reason to have Saint rank (highest good one)?

So how do you make screenshots in Might&Magic 6 (with Greyface patch)???
Do you need third party software?

I use GameCompanion, when others fail (likely most of the time).

Sizzle

Arcane
To confirm - in M&M VIII you can have both light magic and dark magic characters in the party.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
To confirm - in M&M VIII you can have both light magic and dark magic characters in the party.
I know that but I'm not sure if you can do quests for both of them to reach Grand Master in both Light and Dark magic.
Same doubt with M&M IX.

Sizzle

Arcane
In M&M VIII you don't really play a good or evil character, but one trying to unite the continent of Jadame and its various factions - so you can, for example, play as a Cleric (which has access to Light GM), while still choosing to support the Necromancers.

Besides those mutually exclusive faction quests, you can finish all promotion quests for all characters and have a party of both light and dark spellcasters.

T. Reich

Arcane
Confirm. The only major thing you lose access to as a result of helping one of opposing factions in MM8 (dragons vs dragonslayers, church of the sun vs necromancers) is the access to some of their faction-specific recruitable party members.

JBro

Arbiter
You mean an actual higher resolution mod, or just running on a large screen?

I played MM7 relatively recently, and I couldn't find any hi-res mod for it at all; I don't think such a thing exists.
As for proper resolution scaling, your vydia card's/monitor's settings should be able to handle this.

I'd settle for being able to make the windowed mode bigger. I just don't want to play in fullscreen.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how does this work out?
MbNdTG4.jpg

Is the "increase in a client's wealth by 5 percent" after she has got her pay?

T. Reich

Arcane
1.05*0.95=0.9975

It's a lie, though. Factors increase your gold gain by 10%, not 5%.

Anyways, those money mercs are mighty useless unless you want to min-max your wealth and exp gain with the best of sperglords.

T. Reich

Arcane
Unless you go full maso-mode with a full knight party, hiring mystic + spellmaster (+7 to ALL magic skills for mere 30% of your gold) is the best merc combo by far. Though healer/windmaster/gatemaster also provide a great utility as well, especially for mixed class parties.
Though you definitely can't go wrong with extra exp mercs at any point of the game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've gone with cheaper NPCs that improved spell casting and armour/weapons skills so far. If I want the expensive magic skill boosting character I know where to find her.
Money is still a bit tight, and I have lots of spell books to purchase. I did a mistake in not giving all my characters Merchant skill when I had the chance.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So which spell is that some enemies (like the top Druidesses) cast that depletes all your spell points, in MM6?
And how do you protect against those spells? I assume Protection Against Magic?

And how many returned Mordred to the quest giver in Far Haven?

T. Reich

Arcane
There's no protection from mana drain. Suck it down.
IIRC, only some kreegan dudes and grand druids use it, so just prioritise them as targets if you value your mana.

Everyone returned Mordred to the quest giver - he gives you the promised reward and dagger back because he decides he doesn't want it after all. SPOILER, I guess.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
In Might and Magic X, there are certain areas that are restricted based upon your race, what areas are these and how do they work? I just completed it for a third time with a party that had all races included, but I didn't notice any areas that were locked for me before?

Sizzle

Arcane
In Might and Magic X, there are certain areas that are restricted based upon your race, what areas are these and how do they work? I just completed it for a third time with a party that had all races included, but I didn't notice any areas that were locked for me before?

In M&MX, the promotion quests cannot be done by anyone anymore - you have to have that particular class in the party if you want to get their quest.

And some of these quests are tied to a particular place in the game (such as the Runepriest's one), where you'll be denied entry if you don't have that class/race in your party.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron

In M&MX, the promotion quests cannot be done by anyone anymore - you have to have that particular class in the party if you want to get their quest.

And some of these quests are tied to a particular place in the game (such as the Runepriest's one), where you'll be denied entry if you don't have that class/race in your party.

Is there any list for these? So it's based on promotion quests and not races? It seems like Druid, Paladin and Defender doesn't get any unique place that only they can enter? Will I always miss something, as I can't pick all classes?

Sizzle

Arcane

Is there any list for these? So it's based on promotion quests and not races? It seems like Druid, Paladin and Defender doesn't get any unique place that only they can enter? Will I always miss something, as I can't pick all classes?

Haven't played with every possible combination so don't know, you'll have to google it. But yes, you'll always miss something.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I've tried to google it, but I haven't been able to find any accurate answer except people are talking about racial restrictions. If it's based on promotion quests, then I would be able to run 3 of the same race, and not lose out on anything because of that?

I hate losing out on things in the game, especially if it's by my own choice. It also sucks a bit as I would like to run double of certain classes, and have even been thinking about a 4x Crusader team.

Sizzle

Arcane
I think that even in the case of areas you can enter that aren't gated by race/class (such as the haunted mansion by Castle Portmeyron), you can't finish the quests there (because you never get them), just go around killing monsters.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I think that even in the case of areas you can enter that aren't gated by race/class (such as the haunted mansion by Castle Portmeyron), you can't finish the quests there (because you never get them), just go around killing monsters.

So there aren't any areas that I would miss out on that gives a lot of experience/loot? I just wouldn't be able to finish the quest? This is what I noticed after my last playthrough, I just didn't understand when people online said that they chose one of each race to have access to all of the areas.

So the following party: Crusader, Mercenary, Freemage, Druid. Wouldn't get less experience/loot than : Crusader, Defender, Shaman, Druid.

Thank you a ton for the answers, really helpful.

Sizzle

Arcane
Experience and loot really isn't an issue no matter what party class/race composition you choose - in typical RPG fashion, you'll soon be drowning in cash, loot and levels :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom