Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
There is also this, some sort of fanade Might and Magic game project.

Hi guys,

Thought you might find this interesting. While chatting on the adventure game studio forums with someone who's made some cool Quest for Glory style demos in the past to get some info for my Website he told me about his latest project. A game called Quest for Magic that's a Might & Magic style game with some Quest For Glory influence too using the Unity Engine.

He linked me a small early demo where you can run around an Island. Looks pretty cool! You will need to install the Unity web player plugin to play it though. Fortunately I already had it installed thanks to another game I had that required it.
Island Movement Test

Controls are X to jump, Alt to activate mouse look, and the usual keys for forward, back & strafe.

He's working on the combat module atm and sent me this video test:
http://youtu.be/oNdDqpUbokU

I'm afraid he doesn't have a website but if I get more news/demos down the track I'll post it it here.

Dungeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzuTIA5IxXw

Island Town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPZJ9YGeLZg

Chicken Dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw0Zr5pOTXY

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Started recently to play MM6 but I saw there weren't downloadable mods for the vanilla game, except a mod called "Suicide Squad" by koval321
I remember also Chaos Conspiracy (I played that but gave up because you need to play original campain AGAIN to reach new content) and Maestro mod (or was it for MM7/MM8?).

Will check it out.
BTW. Luzur anything new about Echo of Destruction?

Luzur

Good Sir
Started recently to play MM6 but I saw there weren't downloadable mods for the vanilla game, except a mod called "Suicide Squad" by koval321
I remember also Chaos Conspiracy (I played that but gave up because you need to play original campain AGAIN to reach new content) and Maestro mod (or was it for MM7/MM8?).

Will check it out.
BTW. Luzur anything new about Echo of Destruction?

Oh right, forgot to post about that, last update was on 4th December, 2016.

resurrecting ooold topic.
just for those who still hoping, yes, we are still alive!
XwbTKsa_zmk_zpswyrku1fu.jpg

Z70i6ZKxfVM_zpsbatdfior.jpg

Zt2tnl_MGMo_zpshvd1irxy.jpg

h8JAnUGpmc0_zpso7bsavfg.jpg

ftHJmN2Oa7Q_zps0821r629.jpg

0MV8hx9EEAg_zpsggeicqw5.jpg

JBro

Arbiter
I'm playing MM3, is there any way to disable traps? It seems like I have to run through them and take the hit.

Luzur

Good Sir
Hello friends,
I've spent the last 6.5 months working on a small prototype/proof-of-concept game based on Might and Magic VI. I don't know if progress will continue after this, but I thought you guys would be interested in what I came up with so far anyway. I only did the programming and 2d art (I am a bad artist), and the 3d art is just random stuff I found online. So it doesn't look great, but it is functional with lots of features - turn-based and realtime combat, stats, skills, trainers, alchemy, lots of weapons/armor/spells (wizard's eye, torch light, fly, feather fall, town portal, and a bunch more), artifacts, shops, quests, a dungeon with auto-mapping, and more.

You can find a video of some of the features here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fZ1SYKQmCQ
The playable demo is here if anyone wants to try it out: https://hapro.itch.io/newnewsorpigal

Whether the project continues after this basically depends if I can find 1 or 2 3d artists willing to partner up with me, as a project of this scope would be a ~5 year endeavor for a small team, which is not something 99.99% of people want to sign up for. But if you know anyone, send them my way. The intent for this project wasn't to make a straight-up clone of M&M, but something new inspired by it, re-using a lot of the same core mechanics but trying to build on them and modernize them (like figuring out a good way to handle mouselook). Basically what Grimrock did to Dungeon Master, but for M&M instead. I may open source the project eventually and let people tinker with it, but we'll see how things go over the next couple weeks.

Outmind

Augur
I've started playing MM8 about a week ago and was wondering what's up with the pure stats potions. Is it just me, or do the increased stats not matter beyond a certain point? I gave my necromancer the potion of pure intellect and his spell points rose by about 6-8 Gave a knight the first potion, of pure speed, and I honestly cant tell the difference. Same with endurance - the knight would get maybe 6-8hp, the necro a bit more, 12-15, but that's it. So, is there a much lower hard cap and the numbers past, i don''t know, 30, are meaningless?

Similarly, how do i win the games / challenges of stats? The knight has 82 speed and failed the associated challenge. Do all the party members have to have a certain amount of the stat for it to succeed or what?

Lastly, and this is probably a no, but I'll ask anyway - can you hire those beneficial npcs that increase your experience gained / disarm traps / make you use less rations etc? You could do that in previous games, but I can't find any here.

Zeriel

Arcane
Like earlier games, you can only black potion a stat once, so realistically your base stats will reach a soft cap. Challenges are based on stats after buffs afair, so some challenges will require stuff like day of the gods. It's based off the person you have active when clicking the orb.

Here's a good reference for breakpoints: http://telp.org/mm8/analysis/attribc.html

You can see how stat increases have a BIG impact early on, and then tail off into nothingness after about the point of your first black potion. In other words, don't worry too much about it.

Last edited:

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Having only played MM 6-10 (some only sporadically, only completed 7 and 8), I have started playing MM 4-5 World of Xeen and I'm having a blast. It instantly became my favorite of the series.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The unboxing video of Disciples of Steel was actually useful, since it's the only place I've seen the Reference Card for that game.

Dux

Arcane
I have mixed feelings about Might and Magic 2. It kind of feels like it went off the rails somewhere. It was almost as if the game was compelling me to powergame at every opportunity because of the nature of the encounters, something that Might and Magic never had to do. That game by contrast actually felt balanced and had a pretty smooth sense of progression. The fights were within reason. I never really got that impression from MM2, however. Everything was over-the-top. The decision to increase the amount of enemies you could fight in a single battle was a horrendous mistake, in my opinion. It destroyed any semblance of balance and immersion for me. It's a shame, really. I don't know why the developers felt it was necessary to turn it up to 11 like that. I'm not saying it's an outright bad game, because it does have its moments - but it could have been a lot better. It's like there's no middle ground. Either the game is too difficult, forcing you to cheese HP bonuses and shit, or it's just too easy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
"Oh noes! I grind the Cuisinarts for hours on end, and now all encounters are with 255 enemies! It's so unfair!"
Is that a correct assessment of your predicament?

Pesonally I think the only thing wrong with MM2 was the partial level scaling. Oh, and the accursed Crazed Natives.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So many prototypes and unfinished convertions of M&M VI-VIII to other engines and standalone projects yet everything is in vapourware for now...
and of course there is Unity in use, would sacrifice on the altair so rest would be finished

Dux

Arcane
"Oh noes! I grind the Cuisinarts for hours on and, and now all encounters are with 255 enemies! It's so unfair!"
Is that a correct assessment of your predicament?

Not really.

I did my share of grinding in MM (mostly wyverns) but it never broke the rhythm of the game as a whole. I can't say the same for it's sequel. The whole game felt somewhat out of whack. Additionally, I never grinded Cuisinarts in MM2. I did make some stops by the dragon kingdom or whatever it was called but not that often, and I left the Ancient Dragon alone. To be honest I didn't really devote too much time grinding - because I hate it. I mostly did quests and my playtime only lasted about 40hrs. Battles in general are certainly doable with some preparation and some luck, but it doesn't remove the tedium of it when you die in the first round because of nonsense and have to do it all over again from scratch. I'm thinking mainly the long ass corridor at the end. When you're at level 20+ the battles often get unbalanced. They should've kept the restriction on enemy numbers (perhaps increase it a little bit) to keep the battles focused and if implemented right it could still have been just as challenging. It worked fine as it was previously, in my opinion.

Fucking hell I don't even know, the game just didn't grab me like its predecessor did, I guess. Or maybe I was just burnt-out. Playing MM and MM2 at the same time, spamming Dancing Sword and watch my party get fucked by Jugglers and shit... It's rough sometimes. That said, I'd still play it over a whole host of other RPGs. That does speak for the quality of the MM series.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, sorry for jumping to conclusions.
Yeah, playing MM1 and 2 after each other sounds a bit exhausting.

The final dungeon in MM2 has no scaling at all, so you can meet anything there, from 1 Neophyte Wizard to 15 Orc Gods.

Personally I didn't have trouble with the large numbers of enemies in some battles, as it provides variety. That's the thing I love about MM2; you can encounter just about anything, and you never know what loot you'll get. In those regards it's far superior to for example Wizardry 7, IMO.

Also, remember the world is mostly area scaled, so if one area is too rough, try another.

mmap

Literate
Well, turns out Wizardry 7 is too hardcore for a popamole person like me :)
So I'm considering playing some nice blobber instead - Wizardry 8 or a Might & Magic..
Which game is more difficult combat-wise - Terra (MM3) or Xeen? I loved MM6, which of the older MMs is closer to it? (IMO, MM6 was a reasonably tough game, for an RPG, at least).
I'm also open to a suggestion to play MM1 or 2, if it's practical to play them without drawing maps (that is, if they have an automap).
Advice, please?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
MM3 is a bit harder than the Xeen games IMO, but easier than MM1-2.

For MM1 you need to map, although I seem to recall that Grid Cartographer has a new function that can read MM1's date files and be used as an automap. Check the sticky.
For MM2 you need the Cartographer skill (NW corner of starting town) to get the inbuilt automap.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For MM1 you need to map, although I seem to recall that Grid Cartographer has a new function that can read MM1's date files and be used as an automap. Check the sticky.
It's actually a Might&Magic-specific tool that someone linked to in this thread, just a few pages ago.
Also agree about difficulty, which is generally not something you need to worry about too much in MM3-5

Edit: Octavius is right about grid cartographer, tho: It features automapping for a handful of the most important 80's blobbers, MM1-3 amongst them. Wow!
I was talking about this:
The Might and Magic Discussion Thread
Offers mapping for MM1-5 plus some quality of life functionality.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom