Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
So how do I identify my scrolls? I used detect magic and, if I'm not mistaken, I have 229 charges on a vellum scroll. No idea what it do though.
Try using it once? Idk if that's possible with MM1, but it would solve it.

Goblino

Savant
So I've tried using it with both a cleric and my mage to "no special effect" maybe the temple knows? Perhaps it's good sell fodder

Edit: and I just realized it was a quest item. Don't let the other nerds find out pls.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
That's because barely anyone played M&M I - III (me included :oops:)

Ahah no it's just that the poll has nothing to do with ranking games in order of preference. People who played most of the games listed here have probably tried out the first one but will vote for their best nevertheless (as I did by voting for xeen). If we ask them to rank the games however, I'd bet book 1 wouldn't be close to the last place. This game is still fun to play to this day thanks for its wide open world, its myriad of quests and its cool scenario twists. Having a whole mind-fucking dungeon maze instead of a traditional end boss was pretty bold regarding the design, although JVC is god and understood back then how to craft a cool world so he was like "there's already plenty of side stuff that kicks ass, what about I make some evil puzzle as a final challenge" which is why he's a god and has all rights to plunge in the mobile market after a brief journey in the mmo one... :negative:

Does Swords of Xeen not exist to you or something?

I consider it a part of the xeen package, for the best and the worst, so to answer your question : no it does not :smug: .

Last edited:

Goblino

Savant
So far I like it more than OG wizardry. I appreciate both but this has all the sleek balanced combat PLUS an open world to explore. I do prefer how in wizardry your thief usually suffers more than the party for his incompetence. These games make me wonder why final fantasy always insists on having useless thieves and useless spells. I get now that their presence is a sort of tribute/ throwback to all the old crpgs that nips still wank their nubs to, but they never made buffs useful like smt did.

TigerKnee

Arcane
These games make me wonder why final fantasy always insists on having useless thieves and useless spells. I get now that their presence is a sort of tribute/ throwback to all the old crpgs that nips still wank their nubs to, but they never made buffs useful like smt did.
Thief existence in Wiz and M&M basically boils down to "Stops you from getting fucked by traps and is your main source of loot because they are the chest openers", something that FF doesn't really do - well, they usually have a "Steal" command which you can translate to increased loot but generally you get by without it.

And those FF buffs/debuffs are only really useless relatively - they get used in low-level challenge games - it's just that in normal play, you can get by using tank and spank strategies 95% of the time, so who cares about learning what specific ailments each boss is weak to?

Goblino

Savant
So is there a reliable way in game to find equipment stats? I dont like googling item lists to pick out my weapons.

Also, flamberge
:flamesaw:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Get the official hint book for a list if item stats. Don't remember what's it's called, but IIRC I found it on Replacementdocs.com

Goblino

Savant
Ehh might as well google away then. Was hoping to find a knowledgeable old crone in a corner somewhere.

Goblino

Savant
Had to restart. Did some blind wandering and found myself teleported to a town in the middle of the desert. We were low on food, poisoned, and the cost of living was like new York city high ( in a literal ghost town mind you).

Rerolled new characters for an hour, and now I realize just how far my party had come. Lvl 1 with clubs is way more frail than the level 4 big dick I was swinging.

Goblino

Savant
There's a well organized item list here http://www.oldgames.sk/docs/Might-and-Magic/1/items.html. I was just expecting a way in the game or the manual to see the stats. I'm trying to use online resources only when I need them and I consider weapon stats to be a definite need. I think in the game world, a professional knight would see a flamberge/cudgel/halberd and tell by holding and swinging it just how effective it might be.

Goblino

Savant
So how good is plus 1 exactly? A long bow +1 is 10 damage +1, and a great bow is 12 damage. Which is better and how exactly?

Goblino

Savant
That's what's confusing me here. Ill assume it's aping dnd for now. More damage would be cool but I want my archer to be a crack shot.

Goblino

Savant
I guess the appropriate tactic for m&m 1 is to grind hard in Sorpigal and gear up for an expedition. I think my party will ready once both casters are slinging lvl 3 spells. Just gotta get this sorceror up 1 level now. Anybody know when my archer and paladin will start casting?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Archers and Paladins unlock lvl 1 spells at lvl 7.
I never felt a need to grind a lot before the levels 7-9 in M&M1. There's kind of a weird content-short issue with the mentioned party level, but before and after that range it's ok.
What I'd suggest is to leave Sorpigal and its underground at level 3 actually, which you should reach pretty naturally by exploring the whole thing (don't forget there are fake walls everywhere in this game). Close outside areas hold enough stuff to do for level 3 parties with better rewards imo.

As truly inspired by early D&D, good gear makes a lot of difference. When you'll start to stumble upon stat-buffing stuff you'll be on a roll. Which is another reason to venture outside Sorpigal. You'll die a lot, mind you, but you'll be able to map anyway, which is pretty important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom