Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 181 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.5%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.3%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
As with the other games theives/ninjas are a terrible choice as they are inferior fighters and have no magic, especially as mm3 allows any class to learn the thievery skill.

While this is technically true the thieving skill has a rating that increases as you gain levels, and from what I recall when the party is granted the skill it is granted at 0 rating and they need to level from there to actually use it on anything. In any event, you don't have access to training for that skill until super late, so the chests it'd open would be pretty much useless by then. Ninjas actually make very decent fighters (iirc they are second only to barbarians in # of attacks per round, which is all that really matters for melee tbh) but only have half the thievery skill as thieves, which means you might need a lot of savescumming to open chests that have even remotely useful loot.

Also, locked chests give an xp bonus to the person who opens them, which can be kind of nice for keeping a ninja or thief decently levelled compared to everyone else.

If anything I'd say avoid barbarians and knights. They're pure fighters and offer little else. The barbarian gets the most attacks while the knight's claim to fame is being able to equip anything. But between a paladin and a ninja you'll be able to equip almost everything anyways, so there's little chance an awesome piece of gear will go to waste. But ultimately the game isn't that hard, so you can roll with whatever you want, really. Multiple sorcerors/clerics will make for the easiest game, because the buffs are OP as hell, and the movement magic of sorcerors and healing of clerics are both very useful as well for getting through various traps and obstacles.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I found the Barbarian to be the most effective character in combat, but then I used almost only Might, saving Magic for the few hard fights.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sounds like it's high-time for another marathon, and I'd love to hear those recordings! Would you be adding them to your Youtube channel?
Jaesun do it, DO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Yep, I'll add the whole score to my Youtube channel. What little music I did hear in it was actually pretty damn cool (with the MT-32).

I already recorded the Intro a while back (and it specifically used the special sounds on the higher end MT-32's). The applause sounds in it was hilarious. :lol:

madrigal

Augur
I never swapped any characters in MM3, but I did a lot of swapping in MM2, what with the class quests and all.
All in all I think MM3 is an easy enough game that you don't really need to use all the tricks in the book.
Given that mm3 allowed you to buy XP and banks allowed you to easily obtain ridiculous amounts of money, it made it a lot easier to trade in a character that was too old or of little use in combat.

kmonster

Augur
The most powerful MM3 party consists of 6 Barbarians, they have the most attacks, the most hitpoints, thieving skill can be bought and spells can be cast from items (even item recharge).

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright, I finished WoX a few days ago but didn't have the time to post a few impression like I did many moons ago when I finished Isles of Terra.

In most ways both games are very similar, same engine and all, so I am not going to repeat everything I said there. WoX had a few cool improvements over M&M3 like the auto-notes feature, the little screens with the voice over when entering certain towers and dungeons and more story tid-bits, which was really cool and added a lot of atmosphere to the game. The atmosphere in general was great, with the awesome music, the weirdo enemies (like 'Flying Feet', wtf) and the pretty and colorful graphics, I particularly liked the Darkside and its skies. Quest items don't clock up your inventory anymore, which is good. The game also does a better job at giving you directives, what to do and why, which was one of my gripes with M&M3. Still, I feel 3 is better in some ways..

M&M3 had a better sense of pacing and the way the world felt like it was gradually opening up to you was an integral part of how fun exploration was, which was something WoX did not do quite as well. One reason was perhaps because you get mountaineering and swimming more easily than in 3, at least as far as I remember it, so you can go anywhere right away. Perhaps it only feels like that because the novelty wore of a bit, since M&M3 was my first. At the same time WoX railroads you a bit more by not letting you enter certain dungeons and only opening them to you as soon as you get a specific item, meaning that you were now 'ready to do that certain dungeon at that point in time'. In M&M3 you could do whatever you pleased whenever you pleased and there were certain dungeons where I would encounter harder enemies further in that made me retreat and come back later when I was stronger. I never had to do that in WoX. I agree with Ether that the puzzles were more challeging too. With M&M3 I had to refer to walkthroughs a few times because I got really stuck on a puzzle, in WoX I could figure all of them out myself. I'd like to think that I just got better at puzzle solving though, having played LoG too in the meantime.

I was worried that the balancing would be horrible but I was surprised how well it worked out. Maybe I just suck but there were plenty of challenging fights once I reached Darkside and I got my ass handed to me several times. As a matter of fact, I think WoX was actually the harder game for me and towards the end I really had several full party wipes with all those Phase Dragons and Mummy Dragons (another awesome concept for an enemey, who came up with that shit). So while M&M3 felt more consistent in that regard, considering that WoX is basically two different games tacked together its really quite amazing how they were able to make it work that well. I have to say though that I followed advice earlier in this thread and played through Clouds first without going to the Darkside, it would have been probably quite different if I did otherwise. Another minor fun thing from M&M3 that I really missed were Coraks Notes, the little tidbits of information you could get when you entered certain regions that helped fleshing out the world a bit more.

So which one do I ultimately like better? Its really hard to say, M&M3 felt a little tighter, a little more focused in certain regards, while WoX had some really nice additional features and probably a better atmosphere (even though, the scifi element fell a little short compared to M&M3, which is regretable. I know many people dislike the mix of fantasy and scifi elements, but personally I think its awesome). Well, thankfully I don't have to make a decision right now, I'll relegate that to another time.

I will say however that there was this moment in WoX, when my party was finally fully equipped, leveled up, buffed and ready to go.. and while I started walking towards Castle Alamar - suddenly the Xeen theme hits, and its just one of those magical moments where you feel like :love:

I currently play a lot of games and I have to say many of them, even plenty of those that I actually like, often don't grab my full attention right from start to finish. Even though I try to finish most of them eventually, I often take smaller or longer breaks and play other stuff in between. Just like M&M3, I played through WoX right through from start to finish and had a blast while doing it and days later I find myself listening to the OST just to reminisce about the good times.

Just like last time I'll take another break now to prevent burnout and eventually get to M&M6. I am a little worried since it changes so much, with the free movement, the graphical style, four man party and so on, but I know it is probably the most beloved of the series so perhaps I am in for a pleasant surprise.

post scriptum: Did you know that you can unify the two sides of Xeen without actually activing the four satelite dishes in the corners of the Cloud Side? Because I did just that.

also, another observation: both games do not offer you a real boss fight, which is a strange decision from a narrative point of view and arguably pretty anticlimactic. Any of you experts know if there is a special reason for that? it just seems strange to me. At least Xeen had a cool cutscene though. On the other hand, Clouds had a boss fight, one that was far too easy though, being able to kill Lord Xeen and his pet in like two hits.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Great to read your thoughts on the games. I used to like WOX more than MM3 but I'm not sure anymore. MM3 does some things better, and Clouds in particular suffers from pacing issues early on. The music really is awesome, especially with a Sound Canvas, you should check out the recordings Jaesun and I have made. The merging of both games into one is nothing short of spectacular, I don't think anyone has done that since, not on this scale, and when we interviewed JVC and asked about it he was actually glad we brought it up because he's so proud of what they achieved (and rightly so). The mix of SF and fantasy was always an M&M trademark, only a small vocal minority of HOMM fans actually disliked it.

If you're worried about free-moving MM you could always play MM1-2 ;)

I never tried unifying the worlds without activating the reflectors, that's pretty funny. I think on future playthroughts I did them as I expored Cloudside, at low level.

Lack of a boss fight is a staple of M&M. The special reason is that this isn't a combatfag's game. The point of combatfag games is to advance your characters through fighting, until they're strong enough to fight the big boss. With an explorationfag game like M&M, the point of advancing your characters is to be able to explore tougher areas and slowly piece together the main quest and what's going on. In this kind setup it's the boss fight that's anticlimatic - it was in both MM2 and MM4, which did feature one. I think the only other that had a "boss" was MM6, but it wasn't really a boss fight, as the queen had no particular special abilities and no HP inflation, you just dispatched her like any other enemy. MM1, MM3, MM5, MM7 and MM8 all had no boss at all, and when you think about it, in terms of plotline, MM1, MM7 and the unifying part of WOX don't really have an antagonist to begin with. MM8 has one, but he's not exactly a bad guy and actually helps you. I always loved this kind of non-Foozle endgame, most of my favourite CRPGs are like this, and some replace the Foozle fight with a much more satisfying and involved endgame (see Magic Candle).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I recommend taking a dwarf ninja as your lockpicking expert. Dwarves get a boost to hit points per level and a small initial Thievery bonus, both of which help them to perform well in this role

I'm curious why you would suggest that. A Robber starts at Thievery 30 but a Ninja starts at Thievery 15. Is it just a trivial matter to raise that skill?

Also I want to make my own party (basically duplicating the default party, but with custom names), Does Alignment do anything in the game? Can I just make an all Good or all Neutral party? Do I need at least one evil person? etc...

Damned Registrations

I think you get 2 points of thievery per level once you unlock the skill, regardless of anything else. I'm not sure exactly how the thievery check works, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's akin to a to-hit roll, because having a guy with 25 thievery try to open a box might fail every single time, while a guy with 50 succeeds every single time. Though in a pinch, one of the highest level NPCs in the game is a robber iirc, and there are items that can boost thievery too (though they seem pretty rare.)

Alignment restricts some classes iirc. You can certainly win the game with a party of all one alignment. The main differences would be the ultimate power orbs part of the main plot. They give a huge XP boost to the right alignment characters, but everyone else gets a lesser bonus or none at all, I forget. There's also some random shit scattered around that only works for characters of X alignment of course, but I think that all pretty much balances out in the end.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I'm curious why you would suggest that. A Robber starts at Thievery 30 but a Ninja starts at Thievery 15. Is it just a trivial matter to raise that skill?
It's also because both classes increase the skill at the same rate, so the only long term difference is those 15 extra points the Robber gets. Now compare to the combat bonuses the Ninja has at every level. That said I've run repeatedly with a Robber and had no problems.

Also I want to make my own party (basically duplicating the default party, but with custom names), Does Alignment do anything in the game? Can I just make an all Good or all Neutral party? Do I need at least one evil person? etc...
You don't need it, but since this is an early M&M game, you want a bit of everything, just in case there's something alignment specific. It mattered more in 1-2 IIRC.

Lhynn

Arcane
Ah man, while i havent played most of the games in this series (only 6, 7, 9 a bit and 10, i really enjoy reading you guys talk about them, i never thought these games brought so much to the table until i started reading your thoughts on them.
Now im thinking i should devote a good portion of my next break to them, especially the older ones.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh man, I forgot how much damn fun this series is.

:love:

I wish I would have found that damn well that boosts your AC sooner though heh. Level 3 now. But Bee's FOUR fucking hit points are scaring me a little...

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
So i was thinking of replaying some of the MM games. So i might as well ask... Is there any mod that makes MM9 somewhat playable or should i just avoid it?

Ether

Educated
Great post SausageInYourFace!

Great observations and agree with many of your points. Good to see I'm not the only one who thought Darkside had wonderfully atmospheric skies.

Another M&Mfag! :love:

Yup, my favorite series as well. :love:

Nope, won't be scared away. I'll post something after I've replayed the whole series. Right now I'm just enjoying reading the posts and learning a couple of new things, too.

Also, was bored at a meeting today and doodled some Terra monsters in honor of Jaesun's playthrough.

gcIhVEe.jpg

(in before multi-headed Wild Fungus hitting ass and leg...)

Damned Registrations

Oh man, I forgot how much damn fun this series is.

:love:

I wish I would have found that damn well that boosts your AC sooner though heh. Level 3 now. But Bee's FOUR fucking hit points are scaring me a little...
Don't forget that the usually stat colours apply (red = might and so on) for various potions and such. Although a lot of them are also just some generic green slime or something and you're just leaving it up to chance/savescumming.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So i was thinking of replaying some of the MM games. So i might as well ask... Is there any mod that makes MM9 somewhat playable or should i just avoid it?

Just leave the ninth game for last and don't play it without patches (1.2 offical and 1.3 fan made) I don't really recommend playing it though, just play it if you're really that desperate.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You know..... something that is complete bullshit is that starting parties stats. You will NEVER roll a character like that in the create screen (though I got *fairly* close). Though I kind of get why they did that, that default party will survive and do just fine.

I forget, is the Fly spell in III?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
The pirate treasures can only be opened on the days of either Onesday or Tensday, cant remember which now.
Onesday.

You know..... something that is complete bullshit is that starting parties stats. You will NEVER roll a character like that in the create screen (though I got *fairly* close).
In all of MM1-3 the starting party is probably the best and most balanced, despite 3's lacking any druidic spellcaster. WOX's would be by far the best if it had an Archer instead of the useless Ranger. The stats they start with in all these games are indeed very high compared to what you usually roll.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I spent the better part of an hour rolling new characters when I first started MM1. When I was happy with my rolls I decided to go adventuring, quickly comparing them to the default party I realised my rolls were shit.
Enjoying my time in MM2 thus far, still haven't figured out time traveling but I found the device in Lord Peabody's throne room, guess I have to complete his quest first. My main gripe thus far is that everything has been thrown completely out of proportions: monster packs, level, stats, damage numbers and HP. I prefered the first game in this regard.
I do like that there are more hints of what is going on in the world, as I already have a basic idea of what's going on. In the first that moment first came when I stumbled upon the crashed spacecraft, and even then it would take a long time before that part was developed on. I really do enjoy how you are required to piece it all together by yourself though through all the bits of information scattered throughout the game, makes it very rewarding. Also makes the exploration a lot more exciting, mixed with save in town only, there's a lot of tension and excitement of what you may stumble upon next. Keeps making me want to come back for more.
Another thing which really annoys me with the 2nd are the encounters consisting of mass paralyze/sleep/stone/etc as each monster will use it on ALL your party members, a single round can fuck over your entire party and I haven't had much luck with silence yet.
More often than not I find myself dying by chest traps as they've suddenly started to inflict huge amounts of damage, compared to the actual encounter. How does trap damage scale later in the game? Definitely a lot more scary to open chests now compared to MM1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom