Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Luzur

Good Sir
ah! thanks for the hint, but I'd rather not 'cheat', its part of the fun! run low on money for a while and then be happy when I find some loot.

also, I just googled it, it says it takes you to the dragons lair? I guess thats probably the same Dragons lair in the Dragons cave on Clouds that I already cleared anyway

It takes you to a hidden treasure room part of the Dragons Lair, so i doubt you found that room since you gotta know where to look and tp some distance through a wall, if i remember correctly.

Luzur

Good Sir
That said, I just recently started a MM6 playthrough for the first time. Only played 2-5 before. Besides the the abysmal controls, the game seems to be fine, though it's no Wiz7 that's for sure.
No decent camera controls when you sometimes need to manipulate the camera to click stuff in the world is extremely annoying.

You definitely need GrayFace's patch to get the most out of MM6-8: https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm
It includes mouse look, flying with the mouse wheel and a bunch of other nice improvements.

Yes this is a must for MM6.

Also i should tip you of this site with mods for the earlier MM games:

http://jeffludwig.com/sitemap.php

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

Also i should tip you of this site with mods for the earlier MM games:

http://jeffludwig.com/sitemap.php

Thanks, but I'd rather stick with vanilla, particularly with my first playthrough. I am almost done with Xeen anyway, today I fought Alamar (or rather, Corak did). Just gotta connect the two worlds now.

with regards to that 'monster respawn' in the mod, I think the ability to clear out entire areas from non-respawning enemies is one of the most motivating features of M&M, I would really not want to mod that out.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I don't remember the specifics but I think that if you ask the Djinn for gold too many times (or ask some specific ones?) they take away all your non-bank gold. That message you clicked away might've been them doing this.
Never give a djinn your password on RPG Codex or your account will get taken away too! :dance:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone else tried Ludwig's MM3-5 mods that spawn more enemies?

Doesn't this destroy the balance completely? More enemies = more xp = even more overpowered PCs at the end of the game, probably even earlier now.

Don't know. I just tested it briefly and quickly realized that since the combat in MM3-5 is so simplistic the last thing I really needed was more enemies. IIRC he adjusted some of the monster stats, so maybe the XP value as well.
Also, there were other changes that annoyed me a bit, like changing the name of some character classes.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Like half the xp and most of the gold/treasure in MM3-5 comes from quests and shit anyways. More monsters is really just more tedium, because killing monsters is pretty much always profitable, but not profitable enough to be worthwhile.

The monsters are there to make some areas more dangerous than others, so you have a sense of progression as you explore, instead of arbitrarilly hoovering up whatever you want from the start.

Orzie

Arbiter
More WIP Sheltems for the WIP Sheltem god.

4xxNWya.png

Luzur

Good Sir
More WIP Sheltems for the WIP Sheltem god.

4xxNWya.png

Ah, i see you know of that Ironfist project for HoMM2

The recent developments on the 7th faction for Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Cyborg.

The main idea of the faction is to create a mixture of unreleased Heroes 3 Forge town with a tribute to the old school Might and Magic series.
So that, the concept of the Cyborg faction will be different than the "classic" Heroes 3 Forge, but still can have some similarities with it.

The campaign story related with the new faction is being developed, as well as the lineup and some unique features for this class.
MORE INFO ON THE IRONFIST WIKI

Please note: all graphics are considered WIP (Work In Progress) until further notice.

Cyborg%20-%20Castle.png

The castle on the global map replicates the classic Forge concept with some tweaks due to the different Heroes II castle exterior designs.

Cyborg%20-%20Faction%20Icon.png

TL8rwog.png

The faction exterior is based on Sheltem the Dark, the main antagonist of Might and Magic 3-4-5 games by New World Computing.

TiOclFj.png

The heroes originate from Might and Magic 3 (the portraits of other 5 will be created later), and the castle icon also replicates the classic Forge castle concept.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Abelian, did you ever dissect MM2 like you did MM1?
It would be very interesting to know the lower and upper monster levels for the various dungeons, towns and areas, for example.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Abelian, did you ever dissect MM2 like you did MM1?
It would be very interesting to know the lower and upper monster levels for the various dungeons, towns and areas, for example.
No, real life got in the way. I've been too busy in the past few months and I'm currently trying to finish my Dune LP.

However, I do plan to take on MM2 in the future and I'll make sure to post my findings in this thread.

I did like the idea of recruiting NPC's in 8. It could have been implemented better, with half of your characters player-generated, and two additional slots for recruits, perhaps gained through questing, and with unique abilities. Recruitable NPC's would have made the whole bit more interesting.

MMX simply didn't receive enough marketing, my take. And in the same manner as Alice: MR, reviewers panned it for baseless reasons. It is a damned lawnmower game, at least it seemed balanced. Such games aren't destined to received much personality, especially since this is a revival after far too many years of silence between renditions. More DLC would have been welcome.

Whoever mentioned game length was correct, it was almost perfect in scope, because eventually ennui would have been an issue, had the game commenced. In some ways, the DLC detracted from the initial experience, and seemed superfluous. Also, procedural generating MUST become the future of such blobbers, with grid-based movement. ;)

Orzie

Arbiter
You can check MM8,5 which is going to partially consider the recruits.
Also there is GrayFace's patch which allows to create the full starting party in MM8, and even start as a dragon (for fun).

No Great Name

Arcane
More specifically, the first 5 games. While I'm not doing a comprehensive search, all I'm finding are just the years each of those games were released in. What I'm looking for is a more exact date.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Are you looking for first platform released, or PC release? I doubt I'll be able to dig up exact day, but I can get at least the month or thereabouts.

No Great Name

Arcane
Are you looking for first platform released, or PC release? I doubt I'll be able to dig up exact day, but I can get at least the month or thereabouts.
The first platform release, yes. The exact day isn't necessary, just something more specific than a year is what I'm looking for.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
According to my chronological play list:

MM1: June 1986
MM2: late 1988
MM3: July 29 (?), 1991
MM4: late 1992
MM5: April 5, 1993

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom