Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You probably need to type in the DOSBox path, not the Windows path.
Is it the GOG version? And if they are are the games in different subfolders under a "GOG Games" folder?

BTW, this may help:
http://af.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series/importing_characters_from_mm1_to_mm2?as=1649904300

Negative, but I'll get the six-pack once it's on sale.
How will I know what the DBox path is? I have it mounted according to my windows path.

Just start DOSBox and navigate to the MM2 folder. The prompt will telly you the name of the path.
For example I'm using D-Fend Reloaded and the Windows path to my MM2 folder is C:\Users\P\D-Fend Reloaded\VirtualHD\MM2, but the DOSBox path is simply C:\MM2.
If my MM1 folder, containing the ROSTER.DAT files, was set up similarly, I would use the path C:\MM1 when transfering the characters.
Or I could transfer ROSTER.DAT fromt the MM1 folder to the MM2 folder with Windows Explorer, and then use the path C:\MM2.

Being an old relic of the past and knowing your way around MS-DOS helps a bit when using DOSBox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You probably need to type in the DOSBox path, not the Windows path.
Is it the GOG version? And if they are are the games in different subfolders under a "GOG Games" folder?

BTW, this may help:
http://af.gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series/importing_characters_from_mm1_to_mm2?as=1649904300

Negative, but I'll get the six-pack once it's on sale.
How will I know what the DBox path is? I have it mounted according to my windows path.

Just start DOSBox and navigate to the MM2 folder. The prompt will telly you the name of the path.
For example I'm using D-Fend Reloaded and the Windows path to my MM2 folder is C:\Users\P\D-Fend Reloaded\VirtualHD\MM2, but the DOSBox path is simply C:\MM2.
If my MM1 folder, containing the ROSTER.DAT files, was set up similarly, I would use the path C:\MM1 when transfering the characters.
Or I could transfer ROSTER.DAT fromt the MM1 folder to the MM2 folder with Windows Explorer, and then use the path C:\MM2.

Being an old relic of the past and knowing your way around MS-DOS helps a bit when using DOSBox.
Thanks! I had my DBox set up so it would automatically mount C:\Dosgames\MM2 on launch, meaning the DOSBox path was just C:\roster.dta.
1 down, 9 to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had more fun with X than the credit it received, but the underwhelming Dev support did not win my over. My vote goes to #7. Still, X was underrated, IMO. ;)

thexsa

Educated
I had more fun with X than the credit it received, but the underwhelming Dev support did not win my over. My vote goes to #7. Still, X was underrated, IMO. ;)

I am just glad MMX wasn't longer. I actually thought the game was well paced, and you weren't stuck too long at certain breakpoints in the levelling. They could've easily have fallen into the trap of making the game a long grindfest through the last couple of levels just to drag the game out, and they didn't. Or they tried and failed, idk.

Redlands

Arcane

Well, if what someone on here said and I'm remembering it correctly (it only sold 20% of what Ubisoft were expecting), that's probably the reason for the underwhelming dev support.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I've been playing a lot of WoX lately and today after a few hours of playing I found that a shit ton of money was just missing from my inventory. Not sure exactly how that happened, I did not notice any message, just that the money was suddenly gone somehow. From over 300.000 bucks down to zero. So should I be worried about that? I still have like 1mil at the bank but I remember that the price for training got quite insane in late game M&M3, is it the same with WoX? I don't actually think I will run into serious problems, but man, all that friggin dosh.. hundreds of thousands of bucks just gone.. That hurts, man. It hurts.
:negative:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So the Djinns stole my money? Actually, I asked them for XP. Oh well, now that you mention it, when I walked toward Necropolis a text message popped up but I accidentally clicked it away before I was able to read it, I assume that was a Djinn?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't remember the specifics but I think that if you ask the Djinn for gold too many times (or ask some specific ones?) they take away all your non-bank gold. That message you clicked away might've been them doing this.

treborSux

Arcane
So I've been playing a lot of WoX lately and today after a few hours of playing I found that a shit ton of money was just missing from my inventory. Not sure exactly how that happened, I did not notice any message, just that the money was suddenly gone somehow. From over 300.000 bucks down to zero. So should I be worried about that? I still have like 1mil at the bank but I remember that the price for training got quite insane in late game M&M3, is it the same with WoX? I don't actually think I will run into serious problems, but man, all that friggin dosh.. hundreds of thousands of bucks just gone.. That hurts, man. It hurts.
:negative:
Leveling up gets really expensive late in Xeen too. Also you need a good (3 million?) for a quest later too. Keep mining gems for pretty armor and sell it if you need cash.

Luzur

Good Sir
So the Djinns stole my money? Actually, I asked them for XP. Oh well, now that you mention it, when I walked toward Necropolis a text message popped up but I accidentally clicked it away before I was able to read it, I assume that was a Djinn?

Yeah you most likely encountered those genie lamps in the skyroads.

And i dont remember any pop-ups when entering Necropolis, could it have been a "Loading" pop-up when entering a new area? i think The Forbidden Zone have pop-ups along the border, but i am not sure since i havent played the games for a long time now.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
The genie lamps were in the desert though, not in the skyroads.

I stay away from the skyroads after getting my ass handed to me by the sky golems. And after I then returned better and stronger and fully prepared only to get my ass kicked by them again. And then I got into some random encounter that I didn't even know could happen and was killed by some dragons so incredibly fast I couldn't even read what exactly they were. :D
I gotta say I expected the worst with regard to balance issues when I arrived from Clouds but so far its been surprisingly good. I ROFLstomped most of the usual overworld critters but other places usually have some unexpected surprises for you and shit can get really intense if you encouter certain enemies at the wrong time (particularly if the game lulled you into a false sense of security and you forgot to put your buffs on).

The pop-up in front of Necropolis was so fast that I really couldn't read it, I thought it was a conversational pop-up but I could easily be wrong. It does not matter, I will have to live with my loss. At least I could keep the XP so not all was in vain.

Luzur

Good Sir
The genie lamps were in the desert though, not in the skyroads.

I stay away from the skyroads after getting my ass handed to me by the sky golems. And after I then returned better and stronger and fully prepared only to get my ass kicked by them again. And then I got into some random encounter that I didn't even know could happen and was killed by some dragons so incredibly fast I couldn't even read what exactly they were. :D
I gotta say I expected the worst with regard to balance issues when I arrived from Clouds but so far its been surprisingly good. I ROFLstomped most of the usual overworld critters but other places usually have some unexpected surprises for you and shit can get really intense if you encouter certain enemies at the wrong time (particularly if the game lulled you into a false sense of security and you forgot to put your buffs on).

The pop-up in front of Necropolis was so fast that I really couldn't read it, I thought it was a conversational pop-up but I could easily be wrong. It does not matter, I will have to live with my loss. At least I could keep the XP so not all was in vain.

there are lamps on clouds too, up in the skyroads.

You didnt read the sign? they warn you of Mega Dragon.

Also, have Clairvoyant on when checking those lamps, since there are genies that will simply let you choose if you gonna have one guy die, or all of the party die, the gargoyles around the screen willt ell you what lamps are good to choose.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Had to use Mr. Wizard for the first time today, so degrading. Etherealized through a door I was unable to open and fought my way through several Gorgons and Minotaurs. When I tried to etherialize out I found that I had burned through all of my gems. Couldn't bash through the door, couldn't pick the door, couldn't even cast Lloyds Beacon anymore. I really paniced for a moment there, unti I remembered that feature.

Good to know there are more lamps, I was kinda running low on money for most of the day, I even backtracked to Clouds to clear the Dragon lair to get some cash.

In other news: I found a spaceship with Alamars log. I assume the bit about the Terrans (M&M3 player chars) beaming down to Xeen was retconned later? Don't they land their ship on Enroth?

Luzur

Good Sir
Had to use Mr. Wizard for the first time today, so degrading. Etherealized through a door I was unable to open and fought my way through several Gorgons and Minotaurs. When I tried to etherialize out I found that I had burned through all of my gems. Couldn't bash through the door, couldn't pick the door, couldn't even cast Lloyds Beacon anymore. I really paniced for a moment there, unti I remembered that feature.

Good to know there are more lamps, I was kinda running low on money for most of the day, I even backtracked to Clouds to clear the Dragon lair to get some cash.

In other news: I found a spaceship with Alamars log. I assume the bit about the Terrans (M&M3 player chars) beaming down to Xeen was retconned later? Don't they land their ship on Enroth?

Yeah that was a miss from the devs, it was retconed later on in MM7.

also, you tried Doemiester at a mirror?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
ah! thanks for the hint, but I'd rather not 'cheat', its part of the fun! run low on money for a while and then be happy when I find some loot.

also, I just googled it, it says it takes you to the dragons lair? I guess thats probably the same Dragons lair in the Dragons cave on Clouds that I already cleared anyway

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Shaltem's logs (or was it Corak's?) retcon the opening of MM4 and its manual anyway. The party you take into Darkside is supposed to be the same that started on Cloudside, and in the Clouds intro and manual they're no the MM1-3 party, but natives of Cloudside. MM7 re-retconned things back to what it was supposed to be, so the little bit of info in the spaceship logs is what you're supposed to ignore.

Or you could assume Sheltem and Corak only thought that the 3rd spaceship would land on Cloudside. Instead it misses XEEN completely, and they stay in stasis for god knows how long after this until they finally crash on COLONY.

Luzur

Good Sir
Shaltem's logs (or was it Corak's?)

Nah, it was definitely Alamars/Sheltems log. It talked a lot about his plans and how angry he was that his plans were foiled and that Corak was after him and so on.

If i remember correctly Coraks notes where mostly destroyed, but yeah you could do it as Sceptic says and just believe that Sheltem didnt know what happened to the party and assumed they landed aswell, thats what i do.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well since someone bumped this thread I'll say I couldn't get more than halfway through MMX. Too shallow/unpolished to keep slogging through the combat.

thexsa

Educated
I finished MMX a while ago, and I thought it was ok, I guess. At least a step in the right direction in the sense that more turn based games are being made.

That said, I just recently started a MM6 playthrough for the first time. Only played 2-5 before. Besides the the abysmal controls, the game seems to be fine, though it's no Wiz7 that's for sure.
No decent camera controls when you sometimes need to manipulate the camera to click stuff in the world is extremely annoying.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
That said, I just recently started a MM6 playthrough for the first time. Only played 2-5 before. Besides the the abysmal controls, the game seems to be fine, though it's no Wiz7 that's for sure.
No decent camera controls when you sometimes need to manipulate the camera to click stuff in the world is extremely annoying.

You definitely need GrayFace's patch to get the most out of MM6-8: https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm
It includes mouse look, flying with the mouse wheel and a bunch of other nice improvements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom