Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Interesting, however I find it more fun to go explore by myself and go "LOL NOPE" because I stumbled into shit which would kill me in 2 rounds. It just feels a lot more satisfying to succeed and fail as you go, part of why I always loved exploration.

Natreg

Novice
Interesting, however I find it more fun to go explore by myself and go "LOL NOPE" because I stumbled into shit which would kill me in 2 rounds. It just feels a lot more satisfying to succeed and fail as you go, part of why I always loved exploration.

Same for me. I prefer to find the places. Also more or less the corners of the map are more difficult than the center, so it's not that difficult to go exploring knowing which areas are more dangerous.

Regarding the pattern for Og's quest I should have known since the statue in sorpigal told about the black and white checkered pattern (I took a note on that, but on my Quest list I didn't put that info and thus why I didn't associate the checkered pattern with Og's quest)

Right now I'm only missing castle Doom and whatever it is that needs the Diamond Key near Alamar's Castle. I still don't know how to answer Og, but I hope I'll find clues for that on Doom.

I even defeated Dragon City and the Volcano God and my characters are more or less around level 19. If that was one of most difficult encounters in the game I don't think I'll need level 40 to finish everything.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Right now I'm only missing castle Doom and whatever it is that needs the Diamond Key near Alamar's Castle. I still don't know how to answer Og, but I hope I'll find clues for that on Doom.
Do you have both idols and 3 clues? If you do then that's all you need for Og. There's nothing in Doom IIRC. At this point the riddle should be easy to solve if you "get" it. I'm not sure how to give a hint without making it too easy, but if you're still stuck I'll try.

I even defeated Dragon City and the Volcano God and my characters are more or less around level 19. If that was one of most difficult encounters in the game I don't think I'll need level 40 to finish everything.
:salute:

Natreg

Novice
Well, what Og said was really weird, but I have done some research.
I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, but this seems to be a reference to 3D chess from Star Trek (I'm not really a fan of Star Trek, but I found some instructions about this type of chess). I also found an answer for that from some codes used in this type of chess (queen to kings level 1). Not sure if this is the answer Og wants though. Anyway, I would try all this when I get back home from work.

Castle Doom was actually quite easy at least the exterior area. I still have to map the center area accessed by the secret passage.

I have also started to get some nice loot. What are the requirements for getting Gold and Black chests? and what are the requirements for getting good loot from them? Is it just that my Robber has good luck? (he has around 50 right now between upgrades and equipped items).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Gold and Black Chests depend on who guards them. Only the highests level monsters will guard Black Chests.

Natreg

Novice
Thanks Octavius.

I haven't tested the Og part yet, but I think I may be correct (I just had a moment of inspiration regarding the clues).
If we have the female part as the first (queen) the second part as the most valuable (king) and the last part is the first one (level 1). I'm I'm correct then that should be the answer for Og.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Is M&M 8 worth it if I really liked M&M6 & 7? I'm not bothered about having to recruit NPCs and dated graphics.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is M&M 8 worth it if I really liked M&M6 & 7? I'm not bothered about having to recruit NPCs and dated graphics.

I only played it briefly, but I don't recall the game being bad per se, just the lack of character generation and everything being smaller sucked. My memory is very foggy though. I'm going through Mandate of Heaven ATM and was planning a full playthrough of VII + VIII as well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
All I remember is I was mighty disappointed when I found out it's set in a completely different continent which I found less interesting than Enroth or Antagarich.

For me tho, the game itself was pretty similar fun-wise to 6 and 7.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath

I say yes. Sure, it's smaller than its predecessors and somewhat broken in parts but it's still a fun game and very similar in feel and atmosphere to 6 and 7.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's ok, just don't expect a true M&M VI or VII, it's waaaaay easier, smaller and well slightly more boring at times, but still enjoyable.

But don't recruit the dragon or you will completely ruin your fun, believe me ;)

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Thanks for the help. I really wanted to play it because of the exotic setting and party members but was reluctant.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
But don't recruit the dragon or you will completely ruin your fun, believe me ;)

OP? Didn't use it back then.

Absolutely op. The game isn't really hard to begin with as we all know, but with the dragon it becomes ridiculously boring, you basically become kinda invincible because the dragon kills everything on his own.

Unrelated:

Every game in existence should include Arcomage :love:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I haven't tested the Og part yet, but I think I may be correct (I just had a moment of inspiration regarding the clues).
So.... what is your answer to Og? Type it out :p

Only faggots say MM8 sucks. It's not as good as 6-7 in some ways, some people don't like recruiting NPCs (I don't mind), some people don't like the merging of race into class (I like it), but all in all it plays very similarly to 6-7. Like 7 it lacks the sprawling dungeons of 6, but they're ok, and some are actually pretty good. Dragons are a bit OP due to an oversigh that makes their standard attack never miss (and thus making it more powerful than their special attack... the latter also costs MP...). The real gamebreakers are liches though, the recruitable one especially (Vetrinus) is the most powerful character in the game, including anything you can make yourself).

But if you like the basic formula of MM, and especially the 6-7 variant, there's really no reason to skip 8.

Also, Arcomage.

Archibald

Arcane
Played with dragon, had fun.

One of the things that I liked in MM8 and wish other games would do is races having restrictions on what equipment they can use like Minotaur - no helm, Dragon couldn't equip anything I think?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

One of the things that I liked in MM8 and wish other games would do is races having restrictions on what equipment they can use like Minotaur - no helm, Dragon couldn't equip anything I think?

Wizardry did that. Yeah, I like it too.
Tbh sometimes I get tired of the "be anything, do anything, use anything" approach.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member

Tbh sometimes I get tired of the "be anything, do anything, use anything" approach.

Elder Scrolls before Oblivion did it too. Khajit and Argonians couldn't wear boots and helmets iirc

Dorateen

Arcane
To be fair, Might & Magic Legacy did have a reference/easter egg regarding Acromage.

The Naga in one of the town taverns who claimed to be inventing the card game

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
To be fair, Might & Magic Legacy did have a reference/easter egg regarding Acromage.

The Naga in one of the town taverns who claimed to be inventing the card game
It was Ryu in the Lock Kit inn in Karthal.
I kept a list of M&M, HoMM and pop culture/gaming references I found in MMX.

Last edited:

Natreg

Novice
So.... what is your answer to Og? Type it out :p

Queen of Kings Level 1

It worked :D

I must admit Og's Quest was probably the most difficult quest in the game. Sadly it wasn't very rewarding. It was just by chance that I didn't explore the center of Castle Doom before solving the quest.

Right now I have just escaped from the Soul Maze.
I was expecting I'll fight Alamar/Sheltem, but the real Alamar was back at the castle.

I think only the Astral Plane remains.

btw, I got the Gold Key, but the clue for searching there was on Castle Doom, so you get a clue for searching there, and the Sorpigal Statue is the clue for searching the black and white checkered pattern. No need to keep searching everywhere.

Elder Scrolls before Oblivion did it too. Khajit and Argonians couldn't wear boots and helmets iirc

So did Lands of Lore before the Elder Scrolls.

Natreg

Novice
Well I have finished Might and Magic. My opinion of it is that it's a great game that deserves more credit. Everyone goes for Xeen or the M&M6 engine games and forgets or ignores M&M1. That's a big error on my opinion. I think I'm going to do a little review of some aspects of the game from my point of view:

Graphics are not the best for it's time, but they do the job quite nicely. Everything is distinguishable, and it has a lot of variation: Dungeons, Caves, Castles, Towns, Mountains, tundras, Deserts, Forests, Swamps, the sea... Monsters have a nice design to them and I can't believe people prefers the NES version graphics over this. My only complain is that the monster graphics don't stay on screen when fighting them. That would have been nice, but it seems that this was because the game uses the mixed graphics and text mode of Apple II, and when the combat occurs, it switch to the text only from Apple II. This seems to be recreated on the PC as well.

Sound in the game is very limited even though games like Ultima III already had music on 1983. However what little sound is there, it's very catchy. My girlfriend keeps humming the win song and the defeat an enemy song constantly.

The story is not that great though, but it encourages exploration in order to find the needed clues, and the ending itself is actually quite rewarding and unexpected. It's nice that it also ties directly with M&M2. The story probably suffers because there is very little NPC interaction, I'm used to the Ultima series which shine in this aspect and M&M seems to go more for exploration than NPC interactivity. The world itself is full of little tidbits and cllues and I really liked exploring and finding as much information about it as I could.

Regarding gameplay, I'm very surprised here with what the game offers. All areas have their own gimmicks here and there that makes them unique. I played a bit of World of Xeen when I was a kid and a few years ago, and M&M1 seems way more unique in this area. Combat in the game is actually one of it's best aspects. It's very tactical but at the same time casual enough so it doesn't become tedious. The level escalation it has works quite well and keeps sending the player new challenges without making it too difficult. I actually consider it very well balanced both at the beginning and at mid game. It tends to go in favor of the player towards the end though. I was level 20 or so and managed to fight any encounter without much difficulty as long as I could defeat the most dangerous enemies in time. I also don't consider the game needs any grinding at all. I never actually grinded levels during my playthrough and besides a few encounters that proved at first very difficult, I managed quite well during the game. Also, towards the end of the game you seem to be getting levels quite fast (I think the experience is the same for all levels after certain point instead of being double the previous level). Player classes are all useful, though I think the Archer is way overpowered... the class does a lot of damage shooting and also has magic.

Exploration as said in previous posts is also one of the best aspects of the game. I played not too long ago Baldur's Gate 1 and in that game areas seem to be almost empty of anything. M&M1 manages to make all areas interesting and unique, and you find clues, encounters traps everywhere. It makes mapping really fun. Maybe the only really empty places are the Soul Maze and the Astral Plane, but those were fun to map since they are quite different from other areas. You almost certainly can find something interesting on each of the 55 areas the game has, and one thing I really like that probably will miss in later M&M games is that you can't just go mapping on a straight line as it was the case with Xeen. Mountains, forests, and everything have corridors as dungeons do.

What I didn't like in the game were items. They felt mostly useless to me. Most items have a spell effect attached to them, but if you have a mage and cleric in your party you won't need to use items at all. If they worked on non magical squares they would have been great, but sadly the work as if they were normal spells. I suppose they can get useful for a melee only party, but for a balanced party they aren't. I also would have appreciated a identify option for items on shops or something.

Also, sometimes enemies feel a bit unfair since they can use spells in ways you can't. Like using a fireball to the front members of the party without any side effects. However, if they didn't have those option they probably would be way too weak.

Looking forward to play M&M2. Not sure if I will use my chars or create new ones. Even if my levels go down, my stats are quite high so probably they are a bit overpowered.

I really really recommend people giving a chance to M&M1 PC version. Great exploration, great combat and nice ending :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom