Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Servo

Arcane
With the trainer I don't see much of a point in playing the game at all. Not that there is a point in the first place.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Haven't played through the M&M games so far, only a couple of HoMM. At the moment I'm during Tribes of the East exp-pack and decided once thats completed it's time for a MM I-X playthrough

It's gonna be glorious :salute:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Especially if you get the dragon as a party member, it becomes almost boring then

I wouldn't even say it becomes "almost boring" - I'd say the dragons are so overpowered they completely trivialize what little challenge there is in the game (and it's not exactly a hard game anyway). I would heartily recommend avoiding dragons (and the level 50 party members) in MM8, at least on the first playthrough.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It's so easy you can soloing the game (recomended class - Necromants). After few levels and quests it become enjoyable.

Fatty

Augur
This is probably a stupid question, but I believe I have done at least somewhat diligent searching...

M&M1 - I get cursed by Sprites which makes me take alot more damage. Is there any way to cure the curse? It seems to last until I rest again. I'll probably figure it out via trial and error eventually, just figure someone knows.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's possible the Temple can cure the Curse, but it's easier to just rest- In battle one Bless spell should negate one of the Sprites' curses.
When you're low level RUN when you encounter a group of Sprites.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Whatever it is, it's gon be SHIT.

Also, page source code has an ascii pic of a dude in armour. Should he look familiar or what

TheGameSquid

Scholar
There were two things in MM6 that always bothered me too much to finish the game.

1) The Real-Time version of the combat was basically an FPS. You would just basically aggro a couple of dudes in a dungeon, make a beeline for the exit of said by walking backwards and unleash a barrage of unlimited arrows (They WERE unlimited right? That's how I remember it anyways). Bows were just so overpowered. I admit to abusing above technique quite a few times :|.

2) Usually I don't complain about graphics but I honestly believe MM6 is the ugliest game I've ever laid my eyes on. Yeah sure, the engine was pretty shitty (I'm sure it was solid as an early 3D RPG engine), but those terrible sprites and the murky, muddy terrain. The STYLE of all the art was just the worst, which must have been the ugliest fantasy cheesefest I've ever seen, and a far cry from the super-crisp and bright graphics from previous installments. And those portraits! They still freak me out.

(Also feedback during combat is a bit unclear, the sound effects were recorded with a potato and why the hell can I not rebind my keys?)

Great game though, for as long I can muster the courage to look at the damn screen. Eventually blood comes pouring out of my eyes and I have to turn it off :?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
2) Usually I don't complain about graphics but I honestly believe MM6 is the ugliest game I've ever laid my eyes on. Yeah sure, the engine was pretty shitty (I'm sure it was solid as an early 3D RPG engine), but those terrible sprites and the murky, muddy terrain. The STYLE of all the art was just the worst, which must have been the ugliest fantasy cheesefest I've ever seen, and a far cry from the super-crisp and bright graphics from previous installments. And those portraits! They still freak me out.

Then what did you enjoy about the game if you can't look at the screens. Certainly not quests (which are almost always about going to a specific dungeon and getting an item), or plot (which was banal, shit, boring except for the sci-fi twist), or combat (which was pretty trivial because of your party's walking speed allowing you to escape from almost any situation). Sure dungeons and puzzles were fun, but they weren't that good. For me M&M6 is good because it's a nice stroll through a campy fantasy land (and voice acting, monster desings etc. actually added to the campy feel), a hiking simulator like newer Bethesda's game but with actual variety and interesting things to see, and I can't imagine anyone enjoying a hiking simulator while being distracted by the game's ugliness.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
People actually played MM6 in Real Time?

Nevermind. :M

As if it's signficantly better turn based?
I played MM6 twice (without quite completing it, though). First time I played it mostly real time with strafing and spamming arrows. Second time I played it turn based.
Neither mode felt quite right. A mix is probably the best. I've heard those robots are a bitch to kill in turn based, and are best dealt with using blasters in real time, for example.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
Caught red-handed. :oops:

Actually I almost never played it in Real-Time (WAY to chaotic), but every once and I while I used it on a fight I felt was particularly difficult and did some arrow abuse. I think I played around 10% real-time. But like octavius points out, let's not pretend the game suddenly became a tactical masterpiece once you pressed that turn-mode button. And don't forget you got that insanely annoying annoying drama-sound when you entered turn-mode.

Then what did you enjoy about the game if you can't look at the screens.

The dungeons. They were really properly designed and varied IMO, if a bit too long at times. And yes, I may not have enjoyed the landscape, but for the few moments were I could stomach the blobby graphics I did feel that running around the huge world was quite astonishing. I mean, how many games actually let you and your buffed out party fly around a completely open world while casting HUGE spells and raining death upon the scum below you? I just can't help but imagine how that would have been if the landscape would have been a joy to look at as well.

Just use Grayface patch for quicksaving, double speed, bug fixes, etc. Also use his controls patch so you can remap the arrow keys to WASD for movement.

This is glorious :salute:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I mainly played turn based, unless we were fighting junk low level encounters. Then real time was just faster and more efficient, and less boring.

Outmind

Augur
Is there any way of changing a character's voice once you start a game of M&M7? I had the misfortune of picking the redheaded elf woman with the godawful whiny entitled voice... And to top it off she is a sorcerer. No biggie if not, but a change would be easier on the ears.

Speaking of the game, I have yet to see any improvements or differences from 6. Sure, i only just cleared the goblins from our new castle /which is a nice gimmick btw), but other than some minor graphical improvements and a couple of "new" classes there isn't really that much going on in terms of difference between it and 6.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Item upgrades and Acromage.
Good and Evil path.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom