Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Masterplan - 1970s heist movie game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://themasterplangame.com/

Can you pull off the greatest heist in the history of mankind?

Drawing inspiration from both legendary tactical turn-based games and classic heist movies alike, the goal of The Masterplan is to put together the right crew, get the right equipment, and finally plan and execute the biggest heist ever.

Set in the early 1970s, the game features beautiful hand-drawn 2D art and an authentic soundtrack recorded by a real band. The gameplay blends a physics-based world and a clever AI system with an easy to approach "real time with pause" user interface.

FEATURES
  • Heist your target silently or go guns blazing - your choice (and your consequences)
  • Holdup civilians and make them do your bidding
  • Carry and hide bodies to avoid detection
  • Deal with eyewitnesses
  • Disable electrical systems
  • Outsmart the police

Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=270375424

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, if this is more about planning and executing a flawless raid instead of going in guns blazing then it might be something. Though it seems to be more akin a Commando clone in 2d from this. Cautiously interested.

Hm, sounds a bit like Sting!, could be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clue!

Try The Clue! Same makers and a much better atmosphere and all about planning and executing burglaries. Loved the game back in the day.

Eyeball

Arcane
I would play the fuck out of a Clue! ripoff. A very underrated game, that was.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I would play the fuck out of a Clue! ripoff. A very underrated game, that was.

How a game like Clue mixed in with a little bit of Horror?

You're with a group of people and one of them is the murderer. You need to figure out which person it is. Take too long and the killer will kill everyone.

Eyeball

Arcane
Not Cluedo, Der Clou.

This game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuW03H-5T1U

This video doesn't show the real core of gameplay, though, which revolves around hirin' shady dudes and pulling heists on a variety of locations in 60ies London. It has a good story, good characters, good tactical gameplay and a lot of character.

If this new game can be 1/10th as stylish as Clou, it will be 1daypurchase for I&I.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
This game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuW03H-5T1U

This video doesn't show the real core of gameplay, though, which revolves around hirin' shady dudes and pulling heists on a variety of locations in 60ies London. It has a good story, good characters, good tactical gameplay and a lot of character.
Oh god that music. What the fuck the composer was thinking adding in that grating metallic noise in the first and third part? Maybe it sounds better on other soundcards, but it still must be quite intolerable. Funny thing is that the rest of the song sounds quite good.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can people you try to get on your team snitch on you before you even do the job?

It could be interesting if you had to change your plans midway because somebody fucked up and now you got to salvage what you can and repurpose your limited resources.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nice. Also it compels me to say people should watch the original version of Pelham 123.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Another enjoyable 70's heist movie is Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, featuring Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, this'll be out on Early Access on September 15th:

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
Honestly, if this will turn out as promising as it looks and build upon the great foundations laid by Der Clou, this has a real good chance of being Indie Of The Year.

ColCol

Arcane
What gameplay I've seen seemed too combat oriented. Even an early mission lead to guns blazing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Released on Steam Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/313080/

The Masterplan Early Access Impressions

The Masterplan is a real-time, top-down, strategyesque game about casing the joint then robbing it, using a small handful of silent, surly crooks to smash, grab and take hostages. It’s out on Steam Early Access & Humble now. Clowns to the left of it, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with it.

Oh stop it, you’re spoiling me. Two heist-themed strategy games in one month? That makes this a good month. While the delectable Invisible Inc took a cyberpunk-toned, stealth-centric (and turn-based) approach to getting in, getting the score and getting out, The Masterplan involves grungey crime, real-time and brazen thuggery.

Initial warning: it’s Early Access, and very much so. None of the squad/base management stuff is in yet, and we’re looking at just a quintet of disconnected missions of varying difficulty and with fixed ‘crews’. There’s also an occasional bug which makes it look like I’m playing a non-existent Oculus Rift mode, but without a Rift on. Any or all of these things could change at a moment’s notice, but I wanted to give fair warning before I get into discussing the game itself.

I don’t know that ‘strategy’ is the most apt categorisation of The Masterplan, so let’s break down how it plays in order that you might apply your own label of choice to it. You take a team of thuggy criminals into a location – a warehouse, a corner shop, a jewellery store – and to try to grab as much loot as you can and make it to a getaway vehicle before the cops show up. Staff or guards catching you in the act will try to call the filth, as might customers who you haven’t either terrified or beaten into submission.

The beatings (and shootings) are optional, but the terrifying is a component part of how this works. In most missions, at some point you’re going to have to point your gun at someone, at which point they essentially become your hostage and you can control them so long as that iron death-tube continues to aim in their general direction.

This means you don’t have to commit a savage act of brutality upon a quickie mart clerk who carries the key to the safe out back, but instead you can herd him over to it and have him unlock the door to it. I like to think of this as ‘visible stealth’ – you’re openly up to no good, but so as long as NPCs are under the gun you’re essentially hidden.

However, if the gun turns away from your hostage for more than a couple of seconds, he’s going to peg it – maybe simply to safety, or maybe to a telephone. Unless, of course, you gun him down before he can. Unless, of course, someone else sees you doing this and raises the alarm themselves. You can only keep guns trained on so many people at once, though carefully shepherding will bring multiple people into your chaps’ potentially lethal eyeline.

I can’t quite tell whether it’s my own ineptitude or a slightly fiddly interface that’s causing this to go wrong half the time (I lean towards the former), but so far the majority of my failures involve someone getting away because I’ve failed to keep the gun aimed at them as my own goons bimble about the place.

Success via outright carnage is possible, though your haul will be diminished by the need to ‘clean up’ the bodies and whatnot. There’s a Mr Wolf out there somewhere, and clearly he’s much better at going detected than I am. Your own thugs can get killed or beaten into unconsciousness by angry shopkeepers, and more than once the team limped home full of holes. While no ears were harmed in the making of this heist, it can certainly go more than a bit Reservoir Dogs.

Unfortunately it’s impossible to get a handle on the broader game, as all the character persistence and mission progression is absent for now, so the crucial aspect of caring about my goons and shedding manly tears should they perish is, as yet, absent. Also, the bally thing likes to crash to desktop with wild abandon, so it’s just as well I’m not invested in any of my guys.

Even so, The Masterplan includes enough mission stuff to clearly demonstrate its key concept, which is using a small handful of characters to make an escalating number of other characters unwillingly do what you want ‘em to, then trying to adapt to the fly when everything falls apart. In that, it reminds me of Hitman at its best. Updates are promised every couple of weeks, so hopefully some of the meta-game stuff will come into play before too long.

This is just the barebones of the experience and there’s much to prove yet, but if The Masterplan’s masterplan comes to fruition I most certainly want to be a part of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:necro:

Releasing on June 4th:

The final game will have a story mode, written by Tom Jubert.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom