Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
UPDATE - Released: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...a-where-element-zero-meets-trisomy-21.114310/

They brought back Mako in ME4. Some shit is happening like, convention, or such.
BtgBK3_CcAAaMgp.jpg
BtgAWKQCYAAfhLl.jpg

The main part is, of course: "what is shown here may not remain in the final game"

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Another one
BtgEnHWCYAAXoJh.jpg

Bringing back the mako is such a stupid idea. Its removal was one of the best parts.
Actually, no. It was implementation that sucked and the fact that they failed to fix exploration in ME2 and ME3. Mako could be fun should planet exploration was not such a tedious routine. Every planet was the same, with endless long strides doing nothing.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't look forward the driving / physics in a game made by a dev like Bioware. Exploration/copy pasta planets weren't the sole reason for the mako sucking in ME1.

Ultimately doing it right would require substantial development that could be better spent elsewhere.
I'm also not a huge fan of open world stuff in general. Bringing the mako in itself is a design choice that impacts on the flow of the game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Did people enjoy the mako so much in ME1? because all this "we brought back the mako" shit from bioware, to "that is awesome" ovations from the fans, is just weird.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's a pleasant surprise. I liked Mako, it was fun. Hopefully we can upgrade it this time, and it won't be so ridiculously overpowered.

imweasel

Dropping down on a planet and then driving around with the Mako to collect resources was boring in ME1. It was copy-pasta bullshit.

I don't think they will be doing that in ME4 with the Mako, they'll probably only use it to diversify and spice up the missions a bit. You will probably be able to drive with Mako to the intergalactic whorehouse to romance the Krogans and Turians.

I don't look forward the driving / physics in a game made by a dev like Bioware. Exploration/copy pasta planets weren't the sole reason for the mako sucking in ME1.
The game is using the Frostbite 3 engine, all of the driving physics are integrated in the engine. Bioware isn't designing anything other than the 3D model of the Mako.

DraQ

Arcane

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Remember the hovertank from Mass Effect 2's DLC? I took that as a sign that Mass Effect 3 would have planetary exploration with a much more agile vehicle - a way to keep the good parts of ME1's vehicle segments, while doing away with the bad.

Obviously that never happened, but I don't see why they don't do that for ME4. Maybe they'll let you upgrade to the hovertank at some point, but I think it more likely that Bioware forgot it was ever a thing.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd like open world exploration.

But not open world exploration designed by bioware.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
Seeing that ME3 footage in the vid reminded me of how absolutely fucking underwhelming results Bioware always deliver even with the most exciting and inspiring premise. I mean just look at the first mission in ME3. When a dev pitched it the idea must have sounded great and could have easily made up a big part of the plot for the second game:

You're on Mars, a once great colonization prospect turned into a big ol archaeological dig-site after finding traces of the precursor race there. Revealing it to be an outpost equipped with vessels capable of using the mass effect relays the planet was quickly forgotten when mankind could access practically any part of the galaxy and stretched out its great hand trough the stars. In the now silent and mostly empty bases only researchers remain to extract more knowledge from the ancient database in the ruins that catapulted man technologically forward, hoping to get more out of it. You're sent there because they've found something very important and reports from the Alliance intelligence and recent events in the base indicate that there is a mole bent on sabotaging the project and taking the data so they send you to ensure nothing goes wrong. As if things couldn't get any worse a massive and terrible storm is approaching the base as you enter it. Until it has blown over nobody is getting in or out from the research station and all long range contacts are quickly lost when the transmitter breaks. Was it just the storm or was it someone who did it?

Great set-up for mystery, tense paranoia, awesome visuals and drama. And who knows, maybe some things in the ruins should have best been left untouched by human hands and with the half started colonization project people tell tales of strange things that have been seen in the deep canyons and trenches of Mars. Ba-bum! MYSTARY! But what do they actually do with it?

You shoot yourself in and out of the base like a fart shadow, briefly seeing the Martian landscape for a whole two seconds at the start before moving on to generic spess corridors with lots of chest high walls and generic baddies that you'll fight for most of the remaining game. The mole turns out to be Martin Sheen's sexbot who have already killed everyone and when you're not shooting you're engaging in dialogue that would make the shlockiest TV show embarrassed. Fucking Lexx had better and more competent writing.

TL;DR
I don't hold much hope for ME4 to suddenly turn out good and Mako Mk II will be just as dumb and pointless as Mako Mk I was even though I like the idea of it. That's what hurts the most about Bioware I think, the unrealized potential.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Do hope that Mako returning means exploration instead of just driving along linear paths. Then again, what do I care? I never finished any of the ME games, despite actually enjoying the first. Perhaps time to do so.

And what was all that shit about the ME3 ending about? Was it tarded? Did the fans wanted it tarded? Was it made tarded through the community outry?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Also, <CHARNAME> will be human and Shepard won't be around.

Do hope that Mako returning means exploration instead of just driving along linear paths. Then again, what do I care? I never finished any of the ME games, despite actually enjoying the first. Perhaps time to do so.

This video shows the mako prototype driving around in an open snowy area (Noveria?), so signs point to yes

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why are people jizzing over the SUV? I thought it was one of the worst parts of ME1 (granted I disliked ME1 so much I never played the others).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Thanks, Ulminati. Thet talk about vehicle customization, which is nice, but I'd rather have them actually provide meaningfull content on those planets. Lack of something to do and cutter cookie 'dungeons' made the exploration dull. How about smuggler havens, settlements, crashed spaceships and the like? There is a wealth of space opera tropes to plunder for ideas.

Why are people jizzing over the SUV? I thought it was one of the worst parts of ME1 (granted I disliked ME1 so much I never played the others).

It reminded me of moon patrol. That alone was cool. Plus it offered some nice sights and the illusion of exploration. Unfortunately that was handled very poorly.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Fuck all that, tell me about the ROMANCE!!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom