Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mage's Tale - inXile VR game set in the Bard's Tale universe

acer palmatum

Scholar
Well I am not really interested in VR - yet. Maybe next generation or the generation after that. It sure got some solid community in Germany - not meaning its hundreds of thousands of VR-mad fans, but still.
I just doubt the things you can do in VR games interest me, they have to up that possibilities way more. But I fear the first generation buyers are already mostly satisfied with mundane shit like climbing a mountain or some medicore shooter at best.
I wouldn't say VR is dead already, like some others here. But for me to become interesting it needs to be way better, way cheaper and of course I need the space such stuff takes.
Will be interesting were this is going in some years.

tormund

Arcane
Just exudes pure and undiluted creativity. It was Bard's Tale. And now a spinoff with a mage - it's called Mage's Tale. Get it? Was Bard's, and now it's Mage's. Nifty, right?!

#Actually, that's what they were originally intending to do with the series back in the 1980s :shittydog:
OWNED, in a true KODEXian fashion

U liking that burn, Bester?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am crazy but I saw no place that talked about how VR sets are selling like crazy.. is Fargo on drugs? He plans to sell this to 10 000 people at most?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There are certain things you can always sell to investors and it seems VR is one of them.
It's probably pretty easy to sell shit everyone sees in sci-fi movies. It's the future, dude, better invest now and be already a billionaire before everyone else catches up!

I'm assuming the next big thing to invest in will be transparent phones and tablets. Who wouldn't want one of those, amirite?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
ok, in that case.. are these publishers on drugs?

Basically, the various VR companies are desperate for content in the hopes that it will show their tech is worth committing to. i.e. If they pay to get several "good" games on their platform and those games sell, then maybe other developers will create new content WITHOUT financial incentives because they want to get in on that awesome market.

I don't see it working at all. It's a low cost gamble for InXile at least. (Not that I expect anything from BT4)

agris

Arcane
Patron
That's what shit like VR makes me feel like. It doesn't matter i know i'm right, nor why, nor what the consequences are. All that matters is that i'm off the train, gotta walk back.

I think I take your point, but also: when the train wrecks, you're safe and sound.

Put simply: a $500+ peripheral that makes a significant amount of people queasy, requires a dedicated GPU and is more socially off-putting than 3D glasses is never going to work.

Look at the steam hardware numbers (1 GB VRAM, 2.3 - 2.6 ghz CPUs, 0.23% own VR headsets) and you'll see the average user is not going to be pushing 3840x1080 for VR at 60 fps for a loong time. Look at how the microsoft kinetic, a peripheral sold to increase 'immersion', failed despite being much cheaper than VR headsets and how console sales skyrocketed after MS stopped forced bundling. Consumers didn't want to pay for that shit. Look at how dead the 3D television market is because of the social factor of requiring the glasses ("no one wants to look like a tool while watching television"). Actually, all the 3D TV reasons listed in that article apply to VR as well.

I'm not a fucking analyst, I'm a grumpy dude who likes RPGs. How the hell can anyone look at the VR market and think "I gotta get in on this!"? :boggle:

I think I know the answer actually: the promise of easy money combined with a lack of critical thinking. Those two factors combine throughout history and you end up with 3D TV, smell-o-vision, laserdisc, HD-DVD / DiVX, DC power distribution, Nintendo's Virtual Boy, PDSL etc...

fobia

The flying hand that clumsily grabs things and the floating adviser remind me of Black & White. :D

Fargo can finally work on his dream game now.

Bardstalebox.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's coming out this year, in summer. They've been working on this game for a while.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Repetitive shit. Catch arrows with left hand. Throw fire with right.

They're releasing this summer. That's before BT4 lol.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I thought it seems kind of cool to be honest. I have zero interest in VR, but if i had, I'd want to play dungeon crawler. The combat looks like absolute ass, but they'll apparently have spellcrafting and lots of puzzles, so fuck knows, it might actually not suck.

:hmmm:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
VR is a market that is starved enough for content that you can shit out completely half-assed glorified demos and everyone with a HMD will still buy it. I can see why it appeals to inXile :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom