Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Long Journey Home, a Star Control 2-like from Daedalic Entertainment

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by vonAchdorf, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    If by "now" you mean when the embargo lifts, ahem ahem

But you should take your time.

^ Top  
  2. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Yes, when the embargo lifts on 5/29. Though it makes no sense to me when >20k are already watching the game live on twitch.

^ Top  
  3. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'm eager to see your full, monocled, front page, Codex-policy-compliant review. Personally I'd like to see you load a damn save game once in a while so you can see the ending and do your job. Remember, you asked for opinions :)

^ Top  
  4. MRYgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Once bitten, twice shy. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Are the people on Twitch taking long to play through the game too?

^ Top  
  6. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    I only watch mukbang/cosplay camgirls on twitch

I can't watch streamers play this without shouting SLINGSHOT MANEUVER at the screen

Well, it's only the first day of streaming, but so far the longest streams have been four to five hours and they look like they are all still in the first sector. Then again, they are pretty much all playing blind.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Cobbett confirmed $39.99 sticker price.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    By the way ...

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
  11. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    oasis789 Yeah, you can start blabbing about the game now.

^ Top  
  12. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Still playing the game and writing the full review but I'll share some anecdotes for now.

In one run, I had the misfortune of having to pass through slaver-controlled space, and before I could reach the stargate and leave that shitty cluster behind, a slaver Executioner-class patrol ship intercepted me and demanded protection money. If I paid, I wouldn't have enough credits to pay the gate toll, and there was no guarantee that there wouldn't be another shakedown later even if I could come back with more money. I would probably have had to sell off one of my crew members to them, and that wasn't an appealing option. So I decided to decline their offer and make a run for it, and the slavers taught me just how flimsy the Daedalus shields were. The game let me rewind to an auto-save, and this time, without responding to their hail I turned the ship around and sped away, and then flipped and burned through my carefully saved fuel reserves with a full speed boost to the gate. I made it to the next cluster, except now I was low on both conventional and jump fuel, and I could only afford to replenish one or the other. And oh yeah, the slavers controlled the other side of the gate too.

In another run, I came to a system that had three pirate ships patrolling the inner planets, and I couldn't just leave the system because I was out of jump fuel and the reason for coming to this system was to get more, and I had no idea which of the planets in the system had the mineral deposits I needed without actually visiting them. If there had only been one pirate, I would have just paid for safe passage, but there were three, and two of them were large carriers. I managed to outrun one of them like I did with the slavers, but since I couldn't jump out just yet, the pirates eventually caught up with me again, and this time they launched their drones immediately upon interception, so I couldn't run without taking fire. Since I couldn't survive more than a few of those encounters, I rewound several times trying to fight with nothing but basic equipment, before I lucked out by hugging the carrier's hull so it couldn't fire it's heavy weaponry, and kept on shooting while enduring constant barrage of drone fire, eventually doing enough damage to get the pirates to concede the battle and pay me instead. I used that blood money to pay off the other pirates, but it came at a heavy price since my hull was almost destroyed, and two important ship components were damaged in the battle. I would have been better off if I had never come to this system in the first place.

This game doesn't mess around. Rewinds won't save you from a bad situation, and things can go south very quickly.

• incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Yuge! Yuge! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zombragender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Parrots:
    oasis789 What's your view of "Rogue Mode" (no rewinds)?

^ Top  
  14. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    When I started the game I insisted on playing on Rogue, even on the first run. Then I died. And died again. And again. I even tried gaming the tutorial by going to all the other planets in the solar system to get resources so the Rogue runs would last longer (which is pointless since Venus and Jupiter are death traps). After six hours playing like that I decided to go with Explorer. The game is punishing enough on Explorer that Codexers won't feel cheated out of the Full Experience. As for rewinds, they don't make much of a difference in most situations. If you're out of fuel and there's no fuel to be had, rewinding won't help. If you are stuck in a dangerous system and you can't jump out, rewinding won't help. If you're completely outmatched by an enemy that you can't outrun, rewinding won't help.

I can understand why DSW made the game effectively ironman because the temptation to reload when something goes wrong is great, but it's when things go wrong that makes for interesting situations. Like one time I screwed up and accidentally annoyed an alien race that controlled the gate I was planning to use, so I had to make a detour into a more dangerous cluster instead.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Zarniwoopgender: ⚧ Destiny Cleanser Patron

Zarniwoop
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So, Dark Soul Control then?

Except I'm guessing you probably can't stab all the enemies in the pooper.

^ Top  
  16. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Not really. Combat is almost always a bad idea and you generally want to avoid it as much as possible. Even if the shooting starts you don't want to waste time shooting back and just GTFO. Sometimes you have to fight (even if just to run), and yes, then the Star Control 2 style battles require some finesse.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Too hardcore for PCGamesN: https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-long-journey-home/the-long-journey-home-pc-review

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Known media whining about difficulty? Incline

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Actually I agree with that review. I spent 1 hour watching a guy play it on stream and all the survival mini games are very irritating and you spend way too much time doing those. It was enough to know I would never play this game.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the rare moments that Picard is relevant.

Of course the game is too hard if you're a modern games journalist who doesn't actually play the game enough to learn basic stuff like don't fucking try to land everywhere and mine everything. Lander components and pilot health are both valuable resources and most of the time, planetary resources are not worth it. You visit a planet, if it's a good idea to land, you pick up the easy pickings and then you leave. If it's a rare resource, you might consider drilling deeper and taking some damage. And never use resources directly. The game straight up tells you it's almost always better to trade, but that's the sort of thing that requires some trial and error in negotiation as you figure out which aliens prefer which resources.

Of course the minigames are boring if you're on the clock and have no patience, since this is a game that rewards good planning and careful conservation, but it's also about knowing when to burn the fuel reserves and boost your way out of a bad situation. When to spend your hard earned credits even when it's a bad deal because you don't have better options. When to fight even though you're at a disadvantage. If the reviewer is constantly playing it safe, it just means he never learned how to play it right.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Sranchammergender: ⚧ Arcane

Sranchammer
    Parrots:
    Game of the Century

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Btw the landing mini game reminded me of when I played Lunar Lander on some Atari of a friend...lots and lots of years ago. :dealwithit:

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Taka-Haradin puolipeikkogender: ⚧ Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. oasis789gender: ⚧ Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    >leaving the first system without visiting all the planets

I really can't watch these streamers without shouting at the screen.

Why are people picking the Odyssey lander? Just from the stats screen its clearly dominated by Serenity. smh

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)