Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Long Journey Home- - Star Control 2-inspired roguelike from Daedalic Entertainment

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I wonder if it's just the difference between watching (and having a very low key player) and playing, but the core loop here seems much, much less exciting than in Star Control 2. Everything seems to move very slowly. It might in part be the difference in musical and art styles, but hopping around, almost everything I saw was a little triangle moving along a curved trajectory line and occasionally having reams of data thrown at you. Still, it looks like they've made what I fantasized about in Star Captain, so I salute them infinitely.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've pretty much decided I'm going to D1P with the Steam wallet funds received from selling a Team Fortress 2 hat if the sticker price is <$30. If it's more than that I'm going to wait for a sale price of <$20. Your move Daedalic.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does anyone know if it's possible to randomize starting crew/ship/lander?
I don't think there's built-in functionality. I was actually thinking about creating a spreadsheet to randomize these selections :)
I simply go for vague mouse waving with my eyes closed in these situations.
Too bad, I made it for you anyway. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ry7pKN9Je0WO1l_M-sSh0AGoE7Zm3QqkRuDaHkLtLZM/edit?usp=sharing

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Over the past week since I got the press preview, I've played for 40 hours and am nowhere near beating the game even once, and have only barely scratched the surface of its secrets. The furthest I've gotten so far is about halfway to Sol, the 4th sector, and if the second half is like the first, it only gets harder the further you get. The developers have said that a successful campaign is on average 6-8 hours so I might just be an unusually slow or terrible player. Regardless, it looks like it might be quite a while before I "complete" the game unless I savescum, and I hate savescumming, especially in a game designed for quasi-ironman play.

Now I have only contempt for "games journalists" who spew uninformed opinions to the general public after a perfunctory glance at their subject (and developers who front-load anticipating this), and there is a well-established norm of Codex reviewers finishing the game under review before putting pen to paper, but this isn't the usual RPG fare covered here but more of a sandboxy roguelike. For his BB review, Roxor played (with saves?) up through the first end-game crisis for 45 hours before quitting, and I'm about there in playtime as well, and I think I've got enough so far to write a reasonably comprehensive take now. But unlike Roxor and BB, I actually want to complete TLJH and uncover all its secrets. Eventually, that is.

Anyway, point is that the full, comprehensive review is going to take a while. Or do people want to see first impressions now?

If by "now" you mean when the embargo lifts, ahem ahem

But you should take your time.

Zombra

Patron
Anyway, point is that the full, comprehensive review is going to take a while. Or do people want to see first impressions now?
I'm eager to see your full, monocled, front page, Codex-policy-compliant review. Personally I'd like to see you load a damn save game once in a while so you can see the ending and do your job. Remember, you asked for opinions :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yes, when the embargo lifts on 5/29. Though it makes no sense to me when >20k are already watching the game live on twitch.

Are the people on Twitch taking long to play through the game too?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When I started the game I insisted on playing on Rogue, even on the first run. Then I died. And died again. And again.

So, Dark Soul Control then?

Except I'm guessing you probably can't stab all the enemies in the pooper.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Too hardcore for PCGamesN: https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-long-journey-home/the-long-journey-home-pc-review

The Long Journey Home PC review

I’m lost in space: totally stranded, low on resources, and on the lam from a gelatinous loan shark. Two of my four crew members are critically injured, meaning there are no spare hands to man my ship’s weapons. Worse still, I’ve just used my last tank of Exotic Matter, the resource that powers the Daedalus-7’s interstellar jumps, which means I have two options: scoop up enough EM for another jump by orbiting a star, or mine it from one of the many planets within range. The former will likely kill one of my weak crew members through radiation damage and all but obliterate my ship’s hull. The latter will require me to meticulously probe each planet to find the one or two with the right resource and safe enough landing conditions. I opt for the orbital scoop, but as I plunge into the star’s gravitational pull I’m intercepted by a Raxact raider who offers me a different choice: blood or coin? I don’t have the coin, and my ship is in a critical state of disrepair, so I flee in exchange for taking a few hits. I flee straight into the sun though, filling my view with injury updates and death notifications as the screen fades to black and sombre music swells.

Thus concludes my ninth failed playthrough of The Long Journey Home. I want to scream, but instead I start up a new game in stoic silence, hopeful that I can trump the growing sense of frustration by yet again attempting to bring the Daedalus-7 safely back to Earth. The Long Journey Home is not a kind game. From your first cataclysmic jump that takes you 37,847 parsecs away from the safety of Earth, to the last jump that places you within touching distance of the finish line, you can always rely on the fact that things are only going to get worse.

You only have one objective in The Long Journey Home - it’s right there in the game’s title. In the not-too-distant future, the NASA-like IASA have invented interstellar travel and hope to put it to good use by sending you out into the universe in search of new planets for the human race to colonise. However, something goes wrong, and instead of hopping one solar system over you’re catapulted to the arse end of the universe with the near-impossible goal of bringing your crew home, alive and well.

the%20long%20journey%20home%20pc%20review.jpg

Staying alive is all about being sensible, successfully interpreting the world, and managing your resources effectively. There are three resources you’ll need to keep a healthy stock of: metals, gasses, and Exotic Matter. Metals are used to repair the hull of your ship and lander, gasses are basic fuel, and Exotic Matter lets you jump between star systems. On top of that you’ll also have to accumulate Credits to buy upgrades and pay for intergalactic travel via alien-owned mass relays. Of course, none of that matters if your crew succumb to an infection, or die on a risky lander mission. Simply put, there are a lot of things to take care of on your space odyssey.

In that respect, The Long Journey Home is reminiscent of FTL. Except it’s not, because it’s also got strands of Star Control II, Lunar Lander, Space Rangers 2, and No Man’s Sky in its DNA. The Long Journey Home is a hard game to pin down to any single genre or influence because it’s comprised of multiple minigames.

the%20long%20journey%20home%20pc%20review%203.jpg

At an interplanetary level you’re steering and powering your ship around a 2D star system, economising your fuel consumption by slingshotting around planets and riding gravitational pulls. Resources are harvested by venturing down onto planets in a lander and drilling at key locations - cue a Lunar Lander-inspired mini-game where thrust control is all that keeps your lander pilot from an instant, fiery death. Combat in The Long Journey Home is scarcely any different from the naval battles of Sid Meier's Pirates!, except it does without the awkward boarding or sword fighting mechanics. Meanwhile, diplomacy and interactions take the form of a basic dialogue screen à la Civ.

Gameplay is frustratingly fractal. Despite their polished controls and satisfying feel, none of the mini-games are particularly deep or compelling, and the frequency with which you swap between the various gameplay styles only serves to make each one feel like busy work. For example, while it can be enormously pleasing to arc your ship around a string of planets using gravity and the slightest of blasts from your ship’s thrusters, doing so takes an obscene amount of patience and nets slim rewards compared to carelessly jetting around a solar system at top speed.

the%20long%20journey%20home%20pc%20review%2011.jpg

A successful playthrough of The Long Journey Home takes roughly six hours - I say roughly because I never did manage to get the Daedalus-7 home - most of which you’ll spend floating around solar systems trying to figure out which planets you’ll be able to harvest materials from. To find out how dangerous a planet is, and what resources you’ll find there, you have to orbit it for a few seconds, which means getting really close to it. Then, if by some divine miracle the planet is both safe and useful to you, you’ll have to land on it, mine its goodies, and return to your ship. Depending on what lander you selected at the start of the game, you’ll either have a small cargo hold for storing minerals, or very little fuel for running the drill so you’ll only be able to get half of all a planet's resources on a single trip. With the ship’s thirst for metal, gas, and Exotic Matter quenched, it’s time to head to another star system and start all over again.

There’s nothing particularly wrong with those mini-games and survival mechanics, but you always feel at the mercy of the universe. Even if you manage to stay on top of your ship and crew health, you’ll still have to repair various modules that break down over the course of your trip. You can’t predict what will break and when, and the only way to fix them is to go to a very specific form of starport. These modules never stop your progress, they just gradually grind you down so that every action you perform is as inefficient as possible, which in turn forces you to repeat the same cycle of mini-games a few more times over. Of course, those repairs will cost you Credits too, so you can forget about buying bandages or a lander module that lets you land on high-gravity planets.

the%20long%20journey%20home%20pc%20review%202.jpg

The Long Journey Home is tough and you’re made to feel like you’re failing from the start - that’s not particularly fun. To an extent, being made to feel so absolutely at the mercy of the game’s world is compelling. You really do anticipate planets with rare resources and a relatively safe atmosphere. After an hour of desperately avoiding Rexact raiders, scraping by with barely any fuel and a ship that’s one rocky jump away from disintegrating entirely, a low-gravity planet with no convection and stacks of rare resources is like coming across an oasis in the desert. When times are tough you agonise over everything: whether to risk a crew member exploring the ruins of an ancient civilisation, accepting a quest from an unfamiliar alien race, or landing on a particularly hazardous planet.

Unfortunately, these decisions are mostly binary. Land or fly away, explore or don’t, decline or accept. It’s the state of your ship and crew that determines whether you can engage with the world, and both will almost always be in decline, which means the longer you survive, the fewer options you have. With such a great distance to overcome, and so many potential routes in front of you, it’s disheartening how often survival decisions boil down to playing it safe. Scout out every planet, avoid the dangerous ones, harvest all the mineral goodness from the safe ones, and avoid any suspicious species.

the%20long%20journey%20home%20pc%20review%2012.jpg

It’s a shame The Long Journey Home’s core mechanics quickly become repetitive as they’re the gateway to the game’s best asset: its aliens. There are a lot of aliens in the game, more than I’ve met across my 12 attempted playthroughs. There are robots, sentient plants, traders, religious nuts, conspiracy theorists, quasi-deities, bloodthirsty pirates, monarchs, and scientists. Each one has a distinct set of preferences, motives, and strengths that you must learn over the course of your multiple playthroughs. The Wolphax, for example, will hold you in high esteem if you approach them with your shield and weapons ready, as they’re a race of honour-bound knights. The Glukkt will offer you 600 Credits, but only mention after you’ve accepted that there’s a 200 Credit interest on that loan.

On my first voyage I encountered the Mizzurani, who offered me an entire tank of Exotic Matter in exchange for their friendship. After accepting the tank - what could I possibly have to lose - the Mizzurani ship followed me wherever I went. It was nice having a space friend. That was until I went to actually refuel with the gifted Exotic Matter - the crew member I tasked with the job suddenly became infected. Between the various bandages, salves, and first aid kits I had on board, nothing would cure the infection, and after an hour I had my first death. The Mizzurani cropped up in my second playthrough, and I politely declined the Exotic Matter. They still followed me across various star systems, except while orbiting one planet they crashed. I sent the lander in to investigate. Another error on my part - it turns out that the Mizzurani’s motive is to spread around the universe, and consume everything they come into contact with. I later found out from a race of wise ancients, called the Lagos, that the Mizzurani were a fungal plague that the Lagos have been battling for millennia.

the%20long%20journey%20home%20pc%20review%208.jpg

There’s a genuine sense of intrigue surrounding the many races of The Long Journey, one fed through fleeting encounters and characterful dialogue. Understanding each one yields benefits, and they all have quests to offer with huge Credit rewards that are essential to continuing your journey. The writing is exquisite, original, and refreshingly witty. I laughed out loud many times over while meeting new races, getting to know their quirks and wants. At one point, I found myself totally stuck at a mass relay with no way of progressing, or even turning back. Along came a titanic Meorcl ship and an arrogant greeting from a race of beardy, lumpy space kings. They weren’t offering me a tow, they were forcing me to take part in an interspecies quiz show - correct answers would be rewarded with Credits, incorrect answers would be punished with injuries to my crew. I got all three questions right, luckily, earning enough money to both repair my ship and pay the fee to unlock the nearby mass relay.

It was one of the best random encounters I’ve ever experienced, and there are countless more like it in The Long Journey Home waiting to be discovered. The problem is that it takes far too many hours spent repeating mini-games and making simple choices to reach the next special moment, and when one does eventually land in your lap you’re too concerned about keeping your ship and crew together to invest in a side quest for unspecified rewards.

the%20long%20journey%20home%207.jpg

It’s frustrating, but only because the good moments are among the best of any procedurally-generated game or expedition-based RPG. During my most successful voyage I encountered a race of zealots, who badgered me throughout the game with prayers, simple favours, and barter requests. I nodded along in every meeting, skipping some sections of their rambling speeches, until my last meeting with them when they rewarded my apparent piety with 1,260 Credits. I was running low on fuel, my ship was as good as destroyed, and my crew were barely standing - I used every last credit healing my crew, refueling my ship, and repairing its hull. One mass relay jump stood between me and the final galaxy before Earth. At this point the game decided to throw a curveball by destroy all of my Exotic Matter in transit, damaging my ship, and dropping me into a galaxy full of new and powerful enemies who promptly blow me to pieces. This time I really do scream.

There is something beautiful and admirable about the experience when you take a step back from it. The Long Journey Home does a superb job of making you feel like a stranger in a strange place. The aliens you encounter are all established and regard you with mild curiosity rather than alarm. You’re properly up against it and that can be very gripping. After six hours, however, it’s just draining, and because every objective is a mini-game, there’s almost no respite from the moment-to-moment struggle. I want to see more of The Long Journey Home’s creatures and worlds, the attractions and points of interest, what I don’t relish about jumping back in is, unfortunately, the journey itself.

Verdict: 6/10

ArchAngel

Arcane
Actually I agree with that review. I spent 1 hour watching a guy play it on stream and all the survival mini games are very irritating and you spend way too much time doing those. It was enough to know I would never play this game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw the landing mini game reminded me of when I played Lunar Lander on some Atari of a friend...lots and lots of years ago. :dealwithit:

Zombra

Patron
How the hell do you get stuck for 5 minutes on a name input screen, regardless of what it's actually for?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom