Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Long Dark

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I expect it to become abandonware (and go on a large sale) within 6 months.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Tbh I don't understand what's going on over there lately. There used to be updates every two weeks or so, now only cosmetic stuff for a long time. The game used to be very stable and suddenly it crashes a lot.
Either they are working on the story mode full time or they have had some internal changes that they keep secret. My suspicion is that key people left or have at least moved to other obligations.
They also used to have a pretty open forum now they have mods that edit out everything they don't lile. I had to stop posting there when even a joke wouldn't go through. And the console thing is not exactly encouraging either, though they may require extra sales. But who owns a console these days anyway?

This game worth $10 or is it pretty far off from being finished?

It's worth more than 10$, but it's also far from being finished.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Checked their web, it's a very small team, they're probably throwing most resources at the Xbone launch right now (and the rest at Ken Rolston's wage).

The purges on the forum are more worrying.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Tbh I don't understand what's going on over there lately. There used to be updates every two weeks or so, now only cosmetic stuff for a long time. The game used to be very stable and suddenly it crashes a lot.
Either they are working on the story mode full time or they have had some internal changes that they keep secret. My suspicion is that key people left or have at least moved to other obligations.
They also used to have a pretty open forum now they have mods that edit out everything they don't lile. I had to stop posting there when even a joke wouldn't go through. And the console thing is not exactly encouraging either, though they may require extra sales. But who owns a console these days anyway?

This game worth $10 or is it pretty far off from being finished?

It's worth more than 10$, but it's also far from being finished.

How about now? :lol:

ZoddGuts

Augur
Eh, it's good though, shits over any of the other survival games. If you care about the story mode in these type of games (lol) guess you can wait till Spring.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Picked this up and played a little while on Stalker-mode. It's damned good if this is what they consider 'alpha.'

Burning Bridges

I dunno Stalker is a bit annoying, because it's only more wolves. It's better to play dead is dead in the normal difficulty. In the new versions Wolves dont kill you instantly, which I think is much better but also makes the game easier.
If you still find the game is too easy Timberwolf mountain is actually a realy challenge, but it's not recommended if you havent played the game before. Also, you can freeze to death in the mountaineers cabin, which is perhaps not what you are used to.

Eh, it's good though, shits over any of the other survival games. If you care about the story mode in these type of games (lol) guess you can wait till Spring.

People who wait for the story mode don't get this game imo. There are hundreds of games with inane stories, but only very few that are tons of fun without one.
I have played 400 or 500 hours and the game doesnt even have 1 fucking npc :lol:

Picked this up and played a little while on Stalker-mode. It's damned good if this is what they consider 'alpha.'

What does alpha mean anyway? TLD has been stable for over a year, and the game is now also very balanced, it just shows how EA can improve a game. They only call it alpha because the story content is not released.

oscar

Arcane
Bought it on BB's recommendation, enjoying it so far. Do resources never regenerate however?

Burning Bridges

Which resources?
Wood is regenerating, unlimited resource. Also fish and game. Matches etc seem limited at first but if you know the game they would last for several years game time, no one plays that long. If you read my LP where I realized that resources would last at least up to a year and that was only the first map. There is so much stuff on CH alone that would last for another 2 years I guess.
Also you neither need a rifle or ammo any more. Simply scare aways wolves with torches or use arrows.

But if you mean resources like berries and mushrooms, and food in cupboards, no they dont regenerate.

Burning Bridges

Also, in case you run out of tinder plugs
you can make tinder plugs from sticks, an easy to miss feature

Harpsichord

Arcane
It's the best one of these games I've played, but one thing bothers me...

...and it's that this person needs to wake up in the middle of the night to slog a half a liter of water and eat a granola bar or they'll die before finishing that 12 hours of rest.

Burning Bridges

Yes, that is one of the things you learn in this game. If you dont drink half a liter before you go to sleep, and another in the morning you will die.

Also, a freshly killed deer has about 6000 calories meat, enough for barely 2 days :lol:

Burning Bridges

They try to set a certain pace, and have changed the general time scale of the game several times over the development.
The current rate is totally unrealistic but very good in making the game interesting, I dont think they will change it again. It is certainly not possible to have realistic hunger mechanics, otherwise the player would die from boredom.
As it is you will hardly ever die from hunger (I cannot remember this happening to me even once), but you have to be on your toes to get food.

Burning Bridges

There are of course different ways to play the game. One is to prepare everything from a base which can take weeks until you have enough surplus of everything to explore the map, without running into danger. Another would be to explore right away, there are enough resources to pick up right away but especially the new map also has aqdded danger that you die outside, without the safety net of a fully stocked hut. Personally prefer to pick up only a little weight (there is little need to pick up everything if you have to carry it over large distances) and slowly build stockpiles, then get at the dangerous locations one by one.

Otherwise, I just need to make a fire while harvesting wood and meat (it means I actually warm up while working outside) and collect all sticks that I find (every stick is worth 7 minutes of fire or 1 tinder plug, for just stooping once!) And I always plan ahead one day, all will be fine. Your greatest danger is when you get greedy and become occupied with one of your immediate needs (food, fuel, water) at the expense of another.

There are certain routines, for examples when the weather is bad I will stay inside and craft the deer/wolf/skin clothes.
On other days when I have firewood and little to do I go fishing which can be very easy if you just have enough excess wood. I could sometimes shoot deer from very close inside the fishing cabins, it is all a question of waiting for the right moment, and not going out with a single premade plan, which will then normally fail.

What is hilarious was that I died while crafting deerskin boots :lol: I simply got lazy and set crafting to 6 hours or so and froze to death while working (the interior of the mountaineers hut can be dangerous).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dying when you have a ton of stuff is the worst, but it's usually a teachable moment. My second playthrough I had two cabins filled with items, including my first wolf skins/guts that I had curing. Then I saw a bear and tricked myself into thinking I could take it on. It mauled the shit out of me (actually quite horrifying, they did a good job). I managed to survive at about 5%, but when I hobbled over to a rock to bandage myself the bear must've sniffed my liveliness and quickly snuffed it out.

I've always wondered if you could die while crafting. Good to know, although it is kinda stupid and should definitely have a "Wait, I'm freezing here" moment where the player is given back control.

Harpsichord

Arcane
As it is you will hardly ever die from hunger (I cannot remember this happening to me even once), but you have to be on your toes to get food.
It's true that you won't die of hunger, but really only on the basis that once you get hungry and you're out of food you are sure to run off into the woods looking for it and die of exposure instead.

So hunger kills, just indirectly.

Cold or injury gets me almost every time though in practice.

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm a Fan of "The Long Dark"

Did you also pledged on Kickstarter towards "The Long Dark" like i did? As i saw for the first time their art and design concept, i had to instantly pledge. What amazes me is that despite the "few" backers, it has currently beaten Wasteland 2 and PoE in ownerships and is on the way to beat DOS with 560k. This KS project has been for me currently the most rewarding one.

Darkzone

Arcane
Now I would of course but at the time Rafaels hipster beard had put me off.
So you had no opportunity to play the early alpha and wittness the changes from the early stage towards this current version? I think that somehow the betterment of the skills goes back to me, because only i have pushed toward it even during their KS and i wanted that TLD has more RPG elements, but this could be just a coincidence. I knew not what a hipster is during their KS, so the beard was not a turnoff for me and the only people in my surrounding who wore and wear beards are rockers and bikers.

Darkzone

Arcane
Just read the first pages of the thread :)
I have only read the first entries. But overall i have forgoten when it came to steam.
Btw.: On the first day that i have played it (my third game or so because in the first two games i died the death by "the wolf in the dam" within 0-1 days game time), i have figured it all out and survived for over 54 days. I still had 20 bullets left, but i have not found the preper bunker. I had to stop to play it, because it was only repetitive and i had not the drive to play the things over and over again for the next 46 days or so or until i die and i have already mastered the wilderness and survial in the TLD. The same was in the case of the german computer sciences guy who is a scientist for computer games. (awkward that such thing even exists) This was nothing that is that exceptional, because there were serious flaws (like chasing away a wolf with a used up flare) that were only later cleared out. But this was one hell of an adventure and i have survived only because i have found the hunters cabin (got there a knife and a rifle) in a storm at night time. So i understand how a light in the dark can have an elevating effect on someone in this situation (freezing, hungry, lost and slowly dying hunger and cold). Just wanted to share this with someone, that also loves TLD. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom