Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Long Dark

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration focused survival simulation set in the Northern wilderness in the aftermath of a global disaster. Brave the elements and other survivors, hunt for supplies, explore the world, uncover the mystery, answer the question: How far will you go to survive?

If you're a fan of atmospheric, exploration-focused games like Fallout 3 or STALKER, you'll love The Long Dark.

This is a kickstarter that got through, but just barely.

Was there even a thread for it when it was active? I wish someone would have told me, because the idea deserved more support.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ong-dark-a-first-person-post-disaster-surviva

OuterSpace

Scholar
It was posted in the Kickstarter watch thread (by me), but people didn't seem too interested in it. I really like the simulation aspect of it.

I'm worried that they were expecting to far exceed their goal and now they're stuck with making the game on a shoestring budget. Hopefully they can secure some other funding.

Regvard

Arcane
Why am I hearing about this now?

:takemymoney:

I hope we get to build a house and shit though. Seems like the only game that would actually have a function.

Raapys

Arcane
I generally like these kinds of games. The problem is more that the feature-set of '3D implementations' is usually far behind that of 2D/roguelike survival games like Cataclysm and UnrealWorld. Which is natural, since it takes more work to do properly in 3D. And ultimately, even those games grow boring, despite the vast feature-sets, once you've mastered the game mechanics, because there's no real dynamic in the game world; groups of enemies and same'ish special locations here and there get old quickly.

Burning Bridges

if the game is go wherever you like, and the area is large enough and interesting I would play the heck out of this

WhiteGuts

Arcane
This is game is really simulationist. I mean, it was obvious from how they pitched their KS, but seeing it in action now is different. Honestly, I don't know if these repetitive tasks (melting snow, boiling water, cooking food) won't become boring after a while.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Veteran RPG designer Ken Rolston finds new role at Hinterland Games

Ken Rolston, previously known as the lead designer on The Elder Scrolls titles Morrowind and Oblivion, has joined Hinterland Games, the team behind survival game The Long Dark.

Rolston is a 25 year industry veteran, whose credits extend beyond his work in the video game sphere, to pen and paper RPGs such as Paranoia andRuneQuest.

He joined the ill-fated Big Huge Games back in 2007, before moving on to MMORPG developer Turbine in 2012. Now the designer has told IGN about his new Hinterland gig, stating, "I have the experience, the ambition, the hunger. Now I simply have to find something new and valuable to add to this inspired game."

Earlier this year, developer Alex Horn gave Gamasutra three RPG design lessons he had learned while working alongside Rolston at Big Huge Games.

Btw, I googled Rolston for what he's been up to before this, and found that he made a comment on Chris Avellon's first Arcanum LP video.

Some lives are lived as a warning to others.
Pure poetry, Chris.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

game is initially pretty hard. I see many flaws and problems but also potential, for those of us who think games should not be popamole

Burning Bridges

I highly recommend this game. The map is not big, and after some days you will have explored everything. Eventually you will die if starvation, food poisoning or eaten by a wolf. But I have seen people who have survived for a month or so. And they have already promised more maps and a real story mode, as well as crafting.

I was sceptical, in youtube videos the gameplay often looks hectic as some of the guys try to do everything at the same time, which completely ruins the flow of the game. But I found that you can play very differently, must manage your time, plan how much food you have left, where to store items, how much stuff you can carry with you etc.
I now leave a lot of stuff where it is, make notes on a map and create storage depots. It is more or less a strategy game.

For an alpha this gets a thumbs up, way up. Tons of potential for a unique timekiller that is both intense and relaxing (you dont need to fight or run much).

It is of course also funny into which kinds of fuck ups your character gets. You burn yourself on flares, must eat dog food, risk food poisoning from constant rotten meat, you may even go into the cold without trousers or shoes because you accidently harvested from your only pair or because they degraded too much.

It would be great if they could make much bigger maps, small villages and even multiplayer, so that players could trade spare resources. Though PvP would mostly destroy the game. If it looks too glitchy now I'd wait until Christmas, it should be the perfect game to enjoy a winter day inside.

Starwars

Arcane
Not normally a fan of "camping simulators" but this one has me intrigued. Hope it turns out good, seems promising!

Burning Bridges

"live every day as if it were your last"

I just died for the second time .. a wolf got me when I decided I could drop a can of rotten sardines in front of the camp office, instead of just running through the door :lol: hilarious

I wonder if someone found out how to store food, I thought I had built a small supply but half of the meat had to be thrown away. Would it be a good idea to leave some meat outside in the snow before cooking it?

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Surviving for a month is definitely doable, and possibly much much more. So far my best is 6 days 7 hours.
I also really wonder if there is a second hatchet in the game. Repairing the hatchet has been a tremendous drag on my resources.

Burning Bridges

Currently on day 16 and prepared for at least another 20. When you have looted all the known locations there is not much left to do but turtle in a house and eat meat, until one of your vital tools break.
I have 12 bullets left out of 15, theoretically thats worth 200,000+ calories cooked or 250,000 uncooked. If I use 8 meat rations per day that lasts approximately another month.
Everything else is no problem once you know how to. I have never managed to create a real stockpile of wood, fir wood is used for repairs and too previous. Tinder plugs however can be found by harvesting wood, so you can theoretically start an infinite number of fires. I think I will first run out of scrap metal or meds. Not sure if I should use metal for repairing the hatchet anymore or save them all for the rifle. I think I could harvest 10 metal parts or so, probably another 10 if I collect all remaining items left on the map. There is supposed to be a secret bunker that has provisions for another 14 days or so but it's in a random location, takes a shitload of time to find it, so far I have tried once but didnt manage anything.
Wolves are hardly a threat anymore, I'll let this peter out, see that I reach the 30+ days and expect what plans they have for new maps. Pretty amazing game but once you have reached the limits of the first map, it's a repetive process of hunting, collecting wood, cooking meat, melting snow and doing some repairs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom