Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The List of Incline - 2018 Edition

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Looking forward to none of the ones in the poll, jeez. Bleak times these are.

I'm certainly curious about a bunch of them (Disco Elysium for example), but "looking forward to" would be too strong a sentiment at this time. Moderately curious, hoping for something good, but been burned too much to get my hopes up beyond that.

Edit: The poll results roughly match my level of interest in the various titles if you consider them percentages (0-100% interest in title), amusingly enough.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I stopped looking forward to cRPGs not too long past the aftermath of the Kickstarted RPG boom.

You can never tell when they're actually being released, if they're even going to release at all, or if they'll turn out to be banal shit boring, so maintaining a state of excitement is a near-impossibility.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is "looking forward to" really that strong a sentiment? It's not like the question is "Which of these games do you think is gonna be awesomesauce".

Seems like a measure of "Which games in this list do you actually give a fuck about" more than anything.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is "looking forward to" really that strong a sentiment?

Yeah, it is.

Here's an example. Let's say you're feeling a little down in the dumps one day, but then you remember something that you're looking forward to, and the thought of it brightens you up a bit. Today's been a bad day, but you've got that thing to look forward to.

That phenomenon doesn't exist at all for my anymore in the context of cRPGs thanks to the decline, the cRPG drought, and finally the disappointing outcome of the Kickstarter boom. If I'm feeling down in the dumps, I'm better off thinking about the cup of coffee I'll have tomorrow morning than about upcoming cRPGs.

They exist, I am aware of them, and hopefully at least a few of them won't be shit. That is absolutely the utmost mental and emotional energy I can spare them these days.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Even if a game isn't personally enjoyable, I think there's some fun to be had in figuring out / arguing about why. So I can look forward to games not necessarily for the game value themselves, but for at least what little impact they may have via a community response. The worst games are the ones that are so utterly mundane and forgettable an experience - it's why I like to call Bioware products bad games even if they're actually technically mediocre, because part of the way they're fun is to realize how absurdly full of itself the Bioware brand is. Tip-top, emotional writing my backside, thus I look forward to a Bioware release not to actually play it, but to see it torn apart. Shepherd is either an impressive hero, or a hilarious, bumbling retard. Either way he's a character - even his bland monotone is part of how I view Shepherd as some autistic strongman pushed into a space opera setting that's just as autistic as he is.

Sadly "it can't really be this bad" actually sometimes turns out to be the case, and I think it's a death knell. Torment: Numenara, for example, wasn't actually that bad. Technically competent; it had a beginning, an end and it had a middle with... writing. Lots, and lots of writing. Average, uninteresting writing that cannot even evoke disgust, but just sheer boredom. It permeated the entire experience and I can no longer expect anything from Inexile. Even if they put out a product that I absolutely hated, at least it could be said; they tried (or, didn't, so there's some satisfaction in the failure. Instead it's just ...meh.) Numenara is my perfect example of a terrible game; it presents me with nothing. Inspires me with nothing. What a surprise that it's by people espousing 'video-games are art' and how apropos that they completely missed the point.

Stuff like Numenara is gradually becoming more of the average, though. Emotions are becoming marketing trends, and nothing sucks the soul out of an emotion than trying to sell it as a product. < This is what video-games are becoming. Monotonous, emotion-in-a-box experiences.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
That phenomenon doesn't exist at all for my anymore in the context of cRPGs thanks to the decline, the cRPG drought, and finally the disappointing outcome of the Kickstarter boom. If I'm feeling down in the dumps, I'm better off thinking about the cup of coffee I'll have tomorrow morning than about upcoming cRPGs.
If you had played Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, then you would now be eagerly awaiting in 20 years Armoire: Heralds of the Eldritch Abomination. +M

cruelio

Savant
Man I haven't played a good CRPG in a while. Lets take a look at

The first seven games don't have release dates or are not coming out in 2018
Game 8 is a PC port of Paizo's hit roleplaying romance simulator for people who haven't moved on from 3.5 DND
The next four games don't have release dates or are not coming in 2018
Game 13 is the latest Brian Fargo Producers-style embezzlement scam that people keep crowdfunding as a direct threat to my sanity
Of the last three games two are not coming out in 2018 and the last one is Ultima Underworld which, judging by the last few pages of its thread, is apparently some kind of scaley-focused Furcadia.

So yeah, can't wait for Ultima Underworld.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Man I haven't played a good CRPG in a while. Lets take a look at

The first seven games don't have release dates or are not coming out in 2018
Game 8 is a PC port of Paizo's hit roleplaying romance simulator for people who haven't moved on from 3.5 DND
The next four games don't have release dates or are not coming in 2018
Game 13 is the latest Brian Fargo Producers-style embezzlement scam that people keep crowdfunding as a direct threat to my sanity
Of the last three games two are not coming out in 2018 and the last one is Ultima Underworld which, judging by the last few pages of its thread, is apparently some kind of scaley-focused Furcadia.

So yeah, can't wait for Ultima Underworld.
Not only that. The 8th one is not only a port of Paizo's hit roleplaying romance simulator for people who haven't moved on from 3.5 DND - which could still be potentially worthwhile. It's a fucking real time with pause port of Paizo's hit roleplaying romance simulator for people who haven't moved on from 3.5 DND.

Everything that is interesting for me (KotC2, Colony Ship, Stygian...) is either TBA, 2020 or at best sometime in 2019 (so possibly 2020 as well).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pathfinder: Kingmaker released. It had 157 votes - the most anticipated title on the poll.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
BARKLEY ALL THE WAY!!!!
I mean I had to youtube this Chaos Dunk

Maybe I’ll empty my bank roll into its development. It can’t be worse than say Hylide, Deadly Towers, or Dungeons of Magdarr.....

Yeah, I have a shitty game viral infection and it’s contagious and spreading....

Going to DL the Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa if truly free.

Thank goodness for Chef Boyardee.
big-chef_o_2647067.jpg

Themadcow

Augur
Surprised at the lack of interest in Druidstone. Given the solid job that they did on Grimrock / LoG2, and given that this ticks the average Codex'ers isometric + turn based boxes... maybe just shit marketing so far?

V_K

Arcane
Surprised at the lack of interest in Druidstone. Given the solid job that they did on Grimrock / LoG2, and given that this ticks the average Codex'ers isometric + turn based boxes... maybe just shit marketing so far?
Well they originally planned it to have procedural generation, for many people it's turn off.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’m late on the curve so I was unaware. Being a fan of Dungeon Hack I will look into this.

Checked... nvm. I thought it was exactly like grimlock. Eh... I’ll still follow this.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That's the kind of poll that will make you want to blow your brains out. There won't be anything good until the next PB game is announced, will there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom