Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The List of Incline - 2016 Edition

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters

Archibald

Arcane
Thanks for the save :popamole:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Battle Brothers
Divinity 2
Expeditions Vikings

Rest is meh or gonna suck probably.
Also lol at Torment.

I'm looking forward to Underworld Ascendent, but what has been released so far is not impressing me.

Polanski

Scholar
That Which Sleeps, Xcom and Six Ages

Oh, 'real' rpgs... Torment and Battle Brothers I guess.

mixer

Learned
Wow, there are surprisingly few RPGs I'm exited about in 2016, compared to 2015..
I just realized that too. I guess i look forward to TTON, more to see how release unfolds, not really having big expectations. Battle Brothers looks cool and that's about it. Might aswell spend a year playing JA 1.13 and wargames, long overdue.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
in every way

Already provably false. Torment: Tides of Numenera has turn-based combat with a focus on highly designed unique set-pieces.
You mean like Blackguards? You really think they can do better? Lets wait and see. ;)
If the combat is anything like Blackguards then the game will be GOTY without any questions.

Anyways I voted for some but my top of this list are
D:OS 2
Torment
Battle Brothers
Aaand maybe Battletech...if it delivers what it promises
Also since we have Battle Brothers and Battletech, I would add XCOM 2 which actually is on the top of my list(1 month!!)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
To me it would be:
  • Battle Brothers
  • Divinity 2
  • Underworld
Grimoire... if Cleve decides it's time for it to see the light of day, than that I would also be looking foward to.

Also, why can't fucking Dark Souls be considered a RPG? Dark Souls III is the game I am most hyped for this year.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Also, why can't fucking Dark Souls be considered a RPG? Dark Souls III is the game I am most hyped for this year.
Dark Souls can't be considered an RPG because it's an action game. An extremely well-done action game, with one of the best systems for action-based melee combat ever devised, as well as an engrossing atmosphere and visual design, but still fundamentally an action game. The RPG elements exist so that the player merely has to be proficient at the action-based combat to complete the game rather than as skilled as the people who can finish the game at soul level 1 with lousy equipment.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dark Souls can't be considered an RPG because it's an action game. An extremely well-done action game, with one of the best systems for action-based melee combat ever devised, as well as an engrossing atmosphere and visual design, but still fundamentally an action game. The RPG elements exist so that the player merely has to be proficient at the action-based combat to complete the game rather than as skilled as the people who can finish the game at soul level 1 with lousy equipment.

So in turn based games do RPG elements exist so players merely have to be proficient at the tactical combat rather than be as skilled as the people who can compete them at level 1. ^_^

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
So in turn based games do RPG elements exist so players merely have to be proficient at the tactical combat rather than be as skilled as the people who can compete them at level 1. ^_^
They do in certain games that are either Tactics/RPG hybrids or simply Tactical games with RPG elements. :smug: X-Com is on my Top 50 videogames list, but it isn't an RPG.

I'm potentially interested in all these titles, but also pretty damn skeptic about most of them at the moment.
Divinity Original Sin 2 would be my safe bet, but I'll also eat my hat if it actually releases anywhere near the year 2016.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm fine with considering Dark Souls an RPG, but there's an unwritten rule that this list is reserved for PC-centric oldschool-styled indie and Kickstarter RPGs.

And now it's written.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom