Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The List of Incline - 2015 Edition

Which of these games are you looking forward to? (multiple responses allowed)

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway, to return to the original topic, what I try to ask myself is:

"If I played this new game as a teenager who'd never played a traditional RPG before, and then went back to try out the old games, what would I think of them?"

There might be somebody out there who's going to do that with PoE, and find Baldur's Gate 2 awfully disappointing for not having a concept of a "speed stat" for making quicker characters, or for not being able to talk to one's companions at will, or for not having a fully modeled culinary crafting tree, or any number of things.

A game doesn't have to scratch your personal itches to be considered "incline". I mean, have we really become this spoiled already?

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Anyway, to return to the original topic, what I try to ask myself is:

"If I played this new game as a teenager who'd never played a traditional RPG before, and then went back to try out the old games, what would I think of them?"

There might be somebody out there who's going to do that with PoE, and find Baldur's Gate 2 awfully disappointing for not having a concept of "speed stat" for making quicker characters, or for not having a full-modeled culinary crafting tree, or any number of things.

A game doesn't have to scratch your personal itches to be considered "incline". I mean, have we really become this spoiled already?

Maybe a bit, or then my expectations have been too high, especially with PoE. Like I wrote in one topic, hopefully PoE 2 will be what BG2 was to BG1. They now have the engine and the design ready so they can utilize those and concentrate on the writing and fixing the problems with the design.

naossano

Cipher
Short of time to argue more, but i disagree about two previous statements.

10 years isn't that much in people's life. It can go really fast for some.
People that made some kinds of movies/book/games ten years ago are pretty likely to still be in the business and know how to work.

Even if they are starfish and forget everything, the legacy is still there. Those little kids who were offered Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Planescape/Arcanum at chrismas still have the memory of playing those a billion times and now have (for some) the skills to make new ones or will have if those little kids were offered those games last year by a poor relative. One day, they might make some games like Age Of Decadence, Underrail etc...

Even if those games were entirelly lost, with no one to remember them, you don't kill easily the idea of tactical combat, meaningfull story, non-linear questing, C & C, original setting and tight experience. Even if the new games don't end up being carbon copies of Planescape, the ideas and concepts behind these might occasionnally pop up again over the years. They will never be mainstream, never cather a broad audience, will be much rarer than popamole, but will still exist, as much as there is still 1-2 relevant/interesting/meaningfull movie/book/etc every few decades/centuries. Those aren't just the norm. That is specifically because they aren't the norm that make them so precious.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Short of time to argue more, but i disagree about two previous statements.

10 years isn't that much in people's life. It can go really fast for some.
People that made some kinds of movies/book/games ten years ago are pretty likely to still be in the business and know how to work.

Even if they are starfish and forget everything, the legacy is still there. Those little kids who were offered Fallout/Baldur's Gate/Planescape/Arcanum at chrismas still have the memory of playing those a billion times and now have (for some) the skills to make new ones or will have if those little kids were offered those games last year by a poor relative. One day, they might make some games like Age Of Decadence, Underrail etc...

Even if those games were entirelly lost, with no one to remember them, you don't kill easily the idea of tactical combat, meaningfull story, non-linear questing, C & C, original setting and tight experience. Even if the new games don't end up being carbon copies of Planescape, the ideas and concepts behind these might occasionnally pop up again over the years. They will never be mainstream, never cather a broad audience, will be much rarer than popamole, but will still exist, as much as there is still 1-2 relevant/interesting/meaningfull movie/book/etc every few decades/centuries. Those aren't just the norm. That is specifically because they aren't the norm that make them so precious.

Ten years can be fucking long time when you grow from early-mid 20s to early-mid 30s. This is more generic with arts generally, but I think that most artists have very limited time on when they're on top of their game, only very rare few can keep it up for longer than a decade, in films it's certainly that, take Oliver Stone for example, his best films were made between mid 80s and mid 90s, culminating with JFK and Natural Born Killers, and after that he's done mostly shit. James Cameron? From Terminator 1 to Terminator 2, and I doubt it's any different in games.

Edgy for the lulz: Obsidian's ten years is up :D

naossano

Cipher
I agree that most artist go downhill after their prime, but it is not rare that their prime last 20-30 years. Also, the post-prime period can also be interesting if it has self-reflection.
(Also, the only Cameron's films that i would recommand were made in the 90s, not 80s. Anyway, artist would be too much a compliment for him)

Anyway, it doesn't change that the blueprints still exist and that they could train new guys, just like they were trained by Interplay oldies.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After seeing bunch of rpgs coming in the last two years I'm starting to think that it's too late for the inclane, there was too long gap, about ten years between the last batch of the traditional rpgs and the new ones. The know-how, the culture and especially tradition of making rpgs vanished from the old generation who are now too old and the younger generation don't know how to make them, and maybe more importantly, haven't played enough of the old games.

I touched on this in one of the Eternity threads, but you have to know the ins and outs of the genre you're making and playing to know in advance what will most probably work and what wouldn't work
Most of our favorite games came from people who made much worse games beforehand. Compare PoE to Chris Avellone's Descent to Undermountain. Or Wasteland 2 to Tim Cain's work on Stonekeep and Rags to Riches: The Financial Market Simulation—I don't even know what that is.

It's not like Fallout and Baldur's Gate developers had worked at SSI on Gold Box or Origin on Ultima.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
After seeing bunch of rpgs coming in the last two years I'm starting to think that it's too late for the inclane, there was too long gap, about ten years between the last batch of the traditional rpgs and the new ones. The know-how, the culture and especially tradition of making rpgs vanished from the old generation who are now too old and the younger generation don't know how to make them, and maybe more importantly, haven't played enough of the old games.

I touched on this in one of the Eternity threads, but you have to know the ins and outs of the genre you're making and playing to know in advance what will most probably work and what wouldn't work
Most of our favorite games came from people who made much worse games beforehand. Compare PoE to Chris Avellone's Descent to Undermountain. Or Wasteland 2 to Tim Cain's work on Stonekeep and Rags to Riches: The Financial Market Simulation—I don't even know what that is.

It's not like Fallout and Baldur's Gate developers had worked at SSI on Gold Box or Origin on Ultima.

Good point but for example Ultima 7 was still relatively recent back when Fallout 1 was put in production, so it was still more fresh in their minds, it's been longer time now. Hopefully the next batch of rpgs from the modern devs learns from the mistakes in their first games.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish Telepath RPG: Servants of God was released on Steam and GOG too. Seriously, why is it not there?

Tactics looks neat, by the way. Codex review when?

On a side note, I preferred the navigation/combat system on Paper Sorcerer to that of Wizardry 8. Paper Sorcerer may not compare, but it reminds me deeply of the DS game Dark Spire. Lovely nostalgia!

DramaticPopcorn

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Added Expeditions: Viking to the poll, because why not. Release date - 2016.

Feel free to change your votes and add it to your selection.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Should I add Realms of Arkania: Star Trail HD to the poll?

Eventually, yes. I'll let you know as soon as there's a projected release date.

BREAKING:

Gäbe es etwas berichtenswertes, wäre das hier schon Thema Nummer 1. Wir sind nach wie vor in Verhandlung mit UIG, um dieses Projekt angehen zu können, und wir setzen nach wie vor alles daran, dass es auch zu einem erfolgreichen Ergebnis wird. Ich kann aber - eventuell kannst du schon mitsingen - nach wie vor keinerlei Aussicht darauf geben, ob es ein solches Ergebnis je geben wird, genauso wenig wie ich einen Zeithorizont dafür abstecken kann. Übernächste Woche ist genauso wahrscheinlich wie nächstes Jahr oder niemals.

*WENN* Schweif HD von uns gemacht werden sollte, würden wir das mit Unity 5 umsetzen, also mit der nächsten Generation Game Engine, mit der wir bereits Schick HD umgesetzt haben. Das bedeutet, dass das Spiel sehr wahrscheinlich viele der "Nettigkeiten", die Unity 5 mit Physically based Rendering, Global Illumination und dergleichen zu bieten hat, auf deinem System nicht darstellen wird können. Es bedeutet aber auch, dass du das Spiel definitiv wirst spielen können, weil sich die Hardware- und Softwareanforderungen wohl nicht ändern werden, und wir außerdem durch die Erfahrungen mit Schick HD wohl insgesamt ein performanteres Spiel hinbekommen werden würden.

http://forum.schicksalsklinge.com/index.php?page=Thread&postID=102121

Basically the publisher UIG is holding up production on Star Trail HD because they cannot agree on terms. Still, Crafty Studios are extremely motivated and are already looking forward to working on the game. Clear eyes, full hearts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom