Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline The Leisure Suit Larry series

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Starwars, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    So I'm really in the mood for adventure games at the moment and I'm about to finish up Technobabylon and am thinking about what to play next.

I've played Larry 1 and Larry 6, both of which I found amusing way back in the day when I first played them at least.

Are they worth going through, any ones I should avoid the like the plague? I know about that weird third person Larry that came out after 7.

^ Top  
  2. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    All up to and including 7 are good.
    Rest are vomitous garbage.

4 is the best.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Unkillable Cat Damnit Moon-Moon! Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    First one is very good, even though it feels like a disjointed series of events.
    Second one has a completely different tone to the first and somewhat retarded puzzles.
    Third one is so forgettable I can't even remember what it was about.
    Fourth one is [DATA EXPUNGED]
    Fifth one is a bad joke, easily the worst one in the main series.
    Sixth one is a mixture between the first and second one, and is quite enjoyable.
    Seventh one is the best one IMO, but it's been close to 20 years since I last played it, so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

Magna Cum Laude is actually quite fun if you cheat your way through the mini-games (the conversation mini-game is quite good though) but stay well away from Box Office Bust.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Parrots:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    First one is quite fun, as UC pointed out it feels like a series of disconnected sketches but the puzzles and writing are fun. It's quite linear in terms of the order you have to solve the major puzzles but you can go almost anywhere around the city, and this gives it a nice feel of poking around and getting to know the place.

Second one is much more linear, as in you get whisked from one location to the next, with no possibility of going back, combined with dead end puzzles if you forget something in a previous area. You can even get into a dead end by having an item you are NOT supposed to have - yeah some of the puzzles are retarded, though not all.

I actually quite like the third, Patti is a great alter ego to Larry and having both works well. The ending sequence is also tons of fun, if not particularly difficult. Better game than 2.

Fourth one is the best because [REDACTED]

Fifth goes in a very different direction from the others. No death, no dead ends, lots of optional content, multiple ways of solving some puzzles. It's a bit weird as a result. I like it, and I like a lot of the optional and multiple paths that it attempts, though ultimately I don't think it all works as well it should have. Worth playing still. Soundtrack is fantastic in MT-32 mode.

Six used to be my favourite, it goes back to the structure that 1 had, with being able to go almost anywhere, though this one really does have some nonlinearity in terms of which order you do some things, and that's quite good. Some really good puzzles.

Seven is the best one. Same structure as six, with some genuinely great puzzles. I think in fact that this might have the best Sierra puzzles of any of their games.

I'd avoid everything afterwards like the plague.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Jason Liang Arbiter

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    I would rate them 4 > 5 > 6 > 3 >>>>>>>>> 1> 2. Never played 7.

5 has the best plot, best ending, best puzzles and best music, which is why it's the best besides 4.
    6 is the raunchiest, after 4. 6 is also easier than 5, if easy is your thing.

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    i should play larry 7 again

was the only larry i played and it was like 15 years ago, but i remember the game was hilarious

obviously i had to ninja play it when nobody was home though so my progress was a bit slow :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. RK47 Degenerates happily Patron

RK47
    Parrots:
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    5 is as close as Tall Tale Game as you gonna get.
    Skip it.
    It's just eye-candy with not much of content.
    6 is the Best.
    Followed by 7.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Taluntain Most Frabjous

Taluntain
    Parrots:
    Just play 6 & 7, the rest aren't really worth playing (again). Except maybe the remake of 1 for the sake of curiosity.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Unkillable Cat Damnit Moon-Moon! Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Do the nerdy thing; sit around and listen to Robo-Clinton's entire stand-up routine.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    I had to do it once, on my perfect score run. They're pretty awful, but then Al Lowe loves this kind of humour.

^ Top  
  12. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Played a bit of Larry 6 for my nostalgia. Such good memories of me and a friend trying to get through this game back in the day. Unfortunately, now it just crashes when I try to load my save. Le sigh... always save in different slots everyone!

Gonna try some Larry 7. Never played this one so should be fun.

^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Unkillable Cat Damnit Moon-Moon! Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    So do I. I loved this joke in particular:

"What's the diffference between beer nuts and deer nuts? Well, beer nuts are under a dollar a bag, but deer nuts are under a buck!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • :M :M x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    The initial releases of all of the games that used the 32-bit SCI interpreter (QFG4 sends its best) were horribly buggy. IIRC there was a patch that fixed the floppy LSL6, and the CD version ran flawlessly in its DOS version (and in glorious high-res)

^ Top  
  15. Blackthorne Infamous Quests Patron Developer

Blackthorne
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Even though Larry 2 has a host of puzzle and dead-end problems, I really loved it when I first played it. I thought the spy story-line with the KGB was fun, and it was absolutely silly. To this day, I still look for musical instruments called "Onklunks"....

Bt

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Unkillable Cat Damnit Moon-Moon! Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Then you must be familiar with its bigger cousin, the Angklung.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)