Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Legends of Eisenwald Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What. LoE is a direct Disciples sequel and proud of it. There never was no traditional character creation in this subgenre, if memory serves me.

Plus character creation has never been a requirement for a good game. There are plenty cRPG greats with set characters, Krondor of LoL come to mind.

Gord

Arcane
I think that within the scope and the genre of LoE, full character creation wouldn't add that much to the game.
You do get to choose between 3 character types with distinctly different gameplay and can develop them further through level-ups and equipment.

Now, maybe Aterdux is right and the game did end up in a somewhat uncomfortable region in terms of what it provides. It's a bit of everything, but not really focusing strongly on any aspect. So you have to like those sort of hybrids.

I'd still say it's worth checking out at least for the cool quests, stories and C&C.
Regarding combat, I'd mostly like to see some aspects improved a bit, namely differentiating some soldier types a bit (e.g. making the choice between upgrade paths a bit more meaningful), easier accessible "evil" parties and some balancing around cavalry units.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yes, the story is indeed something that is not controversial. I personally like all other things too but maybe we should be more clear at least in terms of hardcore - not hardcore. Our combat could be pretty challenging, however for that you would have to do self-imposed restriction. Otherwise getting 5 mounted knights in the army really removes quite a bit of tactics.

Regarding combat, I'd mostly like to see some aspects improved a bit, namely differentiating some soldier types a bit (e.g. making the choice between upgrade paths a bit more meaningful), easier accessible "evil" parties and some balancing around cavalry units.
Can you say in more detail what would be a meaningful upgrade paths? Cavalry should be nerfed a bit, I agree.

Lhynn

Arcane
So then you don't play games like King's Bounty or Disciples? Sounds rather stupid.
I do, but not when im in the mood of playing an rpg.
Also first kings bounty had a small character creation where you picked class and name. armored princess i wouldnt even pirate.
Its the little things like getting to own the protagonist and getting to play it in someone elses world that makes an rpg for me.

I may be alone on this issue, but this is the main reason why i and others couldnt give a toss about this and other rpgs that insist on thrusting a character on the player.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Aterdux Entertainment :
about this boxed edition: will it be an exclusive German localised version, or will it content the English version too? In the last case, it could interest me

Gord

Arcane
Can you say in more detail what would be a meaningful upgrade paths? Cavalry should be nerfed a bit, I agree.

I think it's a mixture of several aspects:
* In this game as in many others, offence is the best defence. Thus it's usually best to gang up on enemies and dispose of them quickly. Furthermore, the way combat works, moving to attack often cannot be avoided. That means, however, that the defensive oriented soldiers (like pikemen) have few occasions to shine/use their strengths. This is especially true when using cavalry. Actually I'd consider giving pikemen a bonus against cavalry - this might help nerfing cavalry a bit and might make them more useful.
* Usually melee units will matter mostly for the direct physical damage they deal. E.g. poison is too minor an effect to come into play given that many combats can be done within 3-4 rounds.
* Most additional effects are linked to weapon type or some special trinket, not unit type. While I liked your approach to equipment, it does blur the differences between units a bit further (although there are a few weapons that can be used only by few units).
* More evil units available (you can hire battle monks and priests easily, but I don't think it's possible for evil equivalents). Healer women seem to be the only units where you can easily and regularly obtain "evil" units through the witch path.
* Strengthen some concepts like mob-units and the bonus they get from commanders (can't remember the name of the respective talent). Peasants are too weak to justify it, imo.

This is at least what I remember right now from my impressions during playing.

Lhynn

Arcane
Sorry, played long time ago and forgot about this one... Still was a fun game but The Legend was indeed better.
No problem man, im just pushing my agenda for more rpgs with actual character creation and to a lesser extent the use of said character in the battlefield when its fitting, like i wish i would have been able to do on expeditions.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I think it's a mixture of several aspects:
* In this game as in many others, offence is the best defence. Thus it's usually best to gang up on enemies and dispose of them quickly. Furthermore, the way combat works, moving to attack often cannot be avoided. That means, however, that the defensive oriented soldiers (like pikemen) have few occasions to shine/use their strengths. This is especially true when using cavalry. Actually I'd consider giving pikemen a bonus against cavalry - this might help nerfing cavalry a bit and might make them more useful.
Agree on maybe giving more bonus against cavalry.

* Usually melee units will matter mostly for the direct physical damage they deal. E.g. poison is too minor an effect to come into play given that many combats can be done within 3-4 rounds.
Poison is not thought as a major game changer, it's a small thing and a small variation. I found it helpful in few cases though.

* Most additional effects are linked to weapon type or some special trinket, not unit type. While I liked your approach to equipment, it does blur the differences between units a bit further (although there are a few weapons that can be used only by few units).
It does blur the differences but I don't think we should change anything here.

* More evil units available (you can hire battle monks and priests easily, but I don't think it's possible for evil equivalents). Healer women seem to be the only units where you can easily and regularly obtain "evil" units through the witch path.
* Strengthen some concepts like mob-units and the bonus they get from commanders (can't remember the name of the respective talent). Peasants are too weak to justify it, imo.
Too late for the campaign I am afraid. Rebalancing is not easy.

Still, most of the changes are rather cosmetic and noticeable for someone who played the game at least once through. Changing all these things would be nice but won't change anything regarding sales and for this reason these possible changes will stay a low priority for now...

DramaticPopcorn

I'd buy it if only it didn't cost that fucking much in Rus.
Like, holy shit, some AAA cost less than that. Jesus Christ why.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I'd buy it if only it didn't cost that fucking much in Rus.
Like, holy shit, some AAA cost less than that. Jesus Christ why.
Sale is coming, no worries. As for the price, we wanted to reward at least a little our Early Access backers and for this reason we raised the price a bit on the release. In Russia release price with 15% discount for the first week was pretty the same as during Early Access.

Gord

Arcane
Too late for the campaign I am afraid. Rebalancing is not easy.

Still, most of the changes are rather cosmetic and noticeable for someone who played the game at least once through. Changing all these things would be nice but won't change anything regarding sales and for this reason these possible changes will stay a low priority for now...

I understand your reasoning and in fact while a patch to the main campaign would be nice, this stuff anyway might be better suited for an expansion/DLC.
Hope you will eventually find it possible to revisit LoE.

Archibald

Arcane
Despite all that, we did better than many other games, and now with debts almost paid off, things are starting to look a bit brighter :) However, still unsure which road to take next after we make a few DLCs.

A few other good news are: there will be GOG version with achievements plus the game will comeout in Germany in retail: http://www.amazon.de/Legends-of-Eisenwald-Knights-Edition/dp/B012V8E6XA

Are we talking about weeks or months till GOG version is released? Also, can you share anything about these upcoming DLCs?

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
We are talking about hopefully weeks but no date is set yet for GOG. As for DLCs, the first one will be the one we promised on Kickstarter: A Road to Iron Forest. The second one has no name yet but will be released soon as well, within a month or a bit longer.

We are talking about hopefully weeks but no date is set yet for GOG. As for DLCs, the first one will be the one we promised on Kickstarter: A Road to Iron Forest. The second one has no name yet but will be released soon as well, within a month or a bit longer.
I haven't kept up, but are DLCs going to be separate campaigns or add ons to current campaigns?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe today is my lucky day as this showed up at my doorstep all the way from Belarus.

Legends of Eisenwald (shipped).jpg
The map is quite large, on par with the old Ultima II map. However, it's not cloth but some type of canvas which is very thick... I'm really impressed with it's quality. Overall, I would say this is one of the better Kickstarter game boxes I've received so far. Very well put together and presented. Well done Alex Aterdux Entertainment!!! :salute:

Legends of Eisenwald (front).jpg

Legends of Eisenwald (contents.jpg

Legends of Eisenwald (canvas map).jpg

Last edited:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Glad you like it! However, we will resend you the discs, so you will get another pair! These ones are not that good and unfortunately I overlooked how they were produced. We will do a better print and they will be proper DVD9 discs...

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Glad you like it! However, we will resend you the discs, so you will get another pair! These ones are not that good and unfortunately I overlooked how they were produced. We will do a better print and they will be proper DVD9 discs...
Will they be updated disks to the latest patch? Again Alex, very nice job on this and I am very discerning when it comes to game boxes.

Last edited:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yes, the updated disks will get the latest patch as well. We will give them to production only next week though since tomorrow we leave for the gaming expo in Moscow, Igromir. It will take a while. And since we had issues this time around with the customs, the future packages will be sent from our personal addresses as it was pretty tough trying to explain to customs what we are sending and why we don't charge money for this now :)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Nice. The other KS devs could learn a thing or two from Aterdux when it comes to game boxes. Shame about the belarus customs problem, but watcha gonna do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom