Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Legends of Eisenwald Thread

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
After the prolouge, with a lv3 mystic i get buttraped. No army, fucking pesants wandering lynch the mystic. What to do? Can recruit one peasant at max.
Stop by in a tavern and hire a merc. Or simply escape those runaway peasants.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Quick and short update:

Digital and physical rewards
Posted by Aterdux Entertainment
Hello, everyone,

Humble added all the additional keys for soundtrack and artbook for corresponding tiers and they sent out email today to everyone with the keys. Sorry if you already have redeemed your key(s), but they don't have a way of distinguishing who got a key and who didn't. We have been getting many emails asking about keys and we think that is a right thing to do now when the game is out.

But there is a chance still to go to Humble resender and get your keys by entering your email: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/keyresender

We still finishing printing and producing physical rewards. We planned to do a few things during the last week but things were so hectic with the release we delayed a few tasks for this week. We will start shipping as soon as we can.

Reviews

A few reviews already came out, check them out:

• 8 (out of 10) - Softpedia
  • 75 - Tech gaming
  • 85 - Riot Pixels (in Russian)
  • 86 - Gamer Info (in Russian)
And we hope for a lot more to come! We also would like to invite you to write your review on Steam if you will play the game there.

Thank you for your support, we really hope once you play the game you will be really proud of what we did with your amazing help.

Our best,

All of us at Aterdux

Can't wait to get my signed box from Alex and the rest of Aterdux Entertainment :dance:

Aothan

Magister
Aterdux Entertainment said:
We will get some more! At least one big review is on the way. And whatever they imply, it's good it's up there!

hopefully enough then this review won't follow the 'does not play like this known game, ergo not a good game' explanation

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I seem to have run into a main quest bug in chapter 4. Perhaps others who are further along or Aterdux Entertainment can help me figure this quest out.

I've facilitated a truce between the Wolves and the Pastor, and I'm supposed to complete the "comrades in misfortune" quest to proceed further. This is what I've done so far:

I defeated the Brigand Mathis, and he directed me to the castellan of Holzwand. The castellan in turn directed me to the Chancellor of Windfeld. I have spoken to the Chancellor Werner von Sterch about it as well.

I also encountered a Knight named Gilgen who directed me to Norspur. The castellan of Norspur directed me to the Chancellor of Windfeld again, who then mentioned that books were delivered to a collector in Windfeld named Alexander Severlin.

After this I'm at a dead end. I have already completed Severlin's quest that made me find a couple of books for him. I am not able to talk to the book collector or the chancellor for any more clues. Appreciate any insight into what I'm missing here.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I seem to have run into a main quest bug in chapter 4. Perhaps others who are further along or Aterdux Entertainment can help me figure this quest out.

There is a third part to the quest, spoiler where to get started:
There is a group of pilgrims in the Pastor's area of control you have to talk to, I encountered them near the mountain pass area pretty much directly north of the major city, a bit west of the Pastors' castle

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finished the game and enjoyed it greatly. (Intentionally vague thoughts on the story follow. Don't view it if you aren't familiar with the overall theme of the story)
I committed fully to revenge since there aren't many games that allow one to play such a vengeful and destructive path, but still many sequences in that path had me questioning my own actions. Once the ending rolled along, I reflected on all the morally questionable things I did as a vehicle for my vengeance, and felt quite hollow -- the writers did a great job there.
I was also pleasantly surprised at how engaged I was with the overall storyline. The usage of folk tales that were based only on half-truths proved to be a great hook to capturing my interest since I wanted to uncover the truth behind them.

Of all the kickstarter games I've finished this year (PoE, Staglands), this is the one I enjoyed the most despite its shortcomings.

Last edited:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Thank you, that is really nice to hear! But maybe do not put so many spoiler here :) I also think the story turned out pretty good. And my choices led me another path and I even couldn't see where I was going almost until the very end. I purposefully didn't get into many details of the story so I could see if it had an impact on me.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Having quite a bit of fun with it! The game is really good. Some minor things:

- Visually, it looks good, but I believe that the fog setting is too high when you move the camera out (which is the most comfortable way to play it). Makes the game quite washed out. I edited them in the editor and removing it a bit brings up better the colors of the game.
- There is a noticeable slowdown when targeting enemies, other than that, performance is very good.
- Crashed the game several times by pressing "Next" on dialogue several times very fast, like in the final scene of the "Way Home" chapter.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Elhoim, thank you!

I didn't notice it with the fog, thank you, we will take a look. Targeting enemies - we are aware of that, trying to multi-thread the AI calculations. And clicking very fast next on dialogues I have yet to test :)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Yeah, the fog is more of a personal aesthetic thing, not that it's bad per se, but I believe it looks better if it's not so dense.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Okay, I'm 25 hours into the game and so far I'm enjoying it a lot.

The combat clicks with me really well and thus I'm quite liking it, but I can see how it can be divisive. In my experience I'm not sure if it's inferior or not to a system where you can freely move the units rather than have them attack the closest enemy, but I can say it has led me to a couple of tactical moments that I wasn't expecting and wouldn't happen in a different system. At least in my case those moments gladly surprised me.

Of course I've also found myself a handful of times in the previously mentioned in this thread situation of being forced to suicide a wounded unit against a spear/pike wielding enemy because even making him wait until the end of the turn I still couldn't take out that enemy in time. A couple of times it was due to not managing initiative and priorities well, but there were at least two cases where there was no other choice than changing my soldier's equipment or the party's formation, which required me to load a save before that fight. It happened only twice and I understand the reasoning behind the combat system and how there's no way to tell most melee units to not attack spears head on, because then the AI would be able to do the same and the usefulness of your own spear units would suffer, but I still rolled my eyes both times it happened.

What that taught me, though, is to always have in my party two healers and a priest, all following the support branch of their upgrade trees. It adds a lot of flexibility since buffs like Invigoration, Vigor, Blessing and God's Will can easily change the flow of a battle by improving the initiative of a specific unit, allowing one to take an extra blow or letting you kill a troublesome enemy faster. Exorcism is also cool since it might save you some money on silver crosses and holy water.

The downside to that is that I don't feel at all compelled to check the Witch/Battle Monk branches of those classes since they're so useful as supporters. I might place them in my party if the ones I put in my castle garrisons automatically follow that branch, or maybe in a future playthrough I'm planning as a Baroness where she's my only ranged unit and the front and skirmisher lines are full of pikemen, but really, Enchantresses and Bishops are awesome.

The other big selling point of the game is the story. I won't write an opinion on the main character's storyline yet since I feel that's better done when I finish the whole game, but what really is the star of the show is the lore building.

I'm in love with the way the legends are implemented. You learn all kinds of stories and rumours in different ways and in many cases they only prove themselves useful in future maps or after they start making sense once you have learned different bits of the same legend from different sources that present you with different points of view about them.

And even the little things like hearing conversations about the state of the realm or what the peasants/nobles think about different characters and factions are very entertaining. There's also a thing that impressed me that I'm sure many players will completely miss. If you right-click on an NPC party on the map you can see its composition, but if it's led by a named character you also get a paragraph with his/her biography. Even if they're not important characters. And I've seen already a map with at least thirty named characters roaming it, so it really gives the impression that the devs really put a lot of effort into this.

One last point I want to mention is that this release is rock-solid. The game runs without a hiccup in my six years old PC, load times are pretty short (then become instant once you've loaded the map) and I haven't had a single crash. And other than the very minor issues I mentioned a page or two ago I haven't stumbled upon a single bug, or if I have it was something so minor I didn't notice. And I noticed the game has been patched like a dozen times already, so I'm sure most issues other people had were fixed. It's not that often nowadays that you get such a stable release, so while I won't praise the devs for doing what should be the norm, I think it's good that people know they can buy the game now and not have to wait until the game is patched into a playable state like it happens so often.

So yeah, unless the second half of the game screws the pooch really badly I think most people will find this game decent to good depending on if they like the combat system of not.

By the way Aterdux Entertainment, I have a question about the third map, the one in the mountains. First off, kudos because normally I find that kind of mission really annoying yet I actually ended up enjoying it a lot and finding the pacing great. Would I be right in assuming it is designed so you only have barely enough time to do all sidequests and only if you don't waste any time? And if so, how did you find the balance, through internal testing or with beta tester feedback?

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
By the way Aterdux Entertainment, I have a question about the third map, the one in the mountains. First off, kudos because normally I find that kind of mission really annoying yet I actually ended up enjoying it a lot and finding the pacing great. Would I be right in assuming it is designed so you only have barely enough time to do all sidequests and only if you don't waste any time? And if so, how did you find the balance, through internal testing or with beta tester feedback?
First of all, thank you for your post and opinion, it is really nice to hear. As for combat, try playing different setups. I personally enjoy a lot duellists and archers. - I think if you use them cleverly, your abilities to do tactics really increase.

Well, the third map is designed the way you have enough time, not barely enough. We tested both internally plus it was released on Early Access too. The map is linear and it's not a hard job to see. I pushed for adding more time since initially it was really tough for many people. I am not very happy we actually have this one in the campaign, especially with the Swallow Tower thing.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
First of all, thank you for your post and opinion, it is really nice to hear. As for combat, try playing different setups. I personally enjoy a lot duellists and archers. - I think if you use them cleverly, your abilities to do tactics really increase.

Well, the third map is designed the way you have enough time, not barely enough. We tested both internally plus it was released on Early Access too. The map is linear and it's not a hard job to see. I pushed for adding more time since initially it was really tough for many people. I am not very happy we actually have this one in the campaign, especially with the Swallow Tower thing.

I liked the map, actually, good change of pace. Good thing you pushed for more time, I believe it was perfectly balanced.

Gord

Arcane
What am I supposed to do with the Landgrave in the "Lands of the sleepless count" chapter?

I baited him with the apple, and now the journal tells me to wait for his appearance. Eventually (2-3 days after the last update to the quest) I decided to bash a few more of the enemy troops until he appears (I thought I would get another message).
Now, when I enter the north-western area, I'm immediately approached by 4-5 very strong bands of knights, amongst them the landgrave, it seems.
All I can do is run away or fight, but the fights seem almost impossible to win (I have a troop of 7 not fully yet, but somewhat decently upgraded and equipped guys).
It does look as if I'm intended to lose the fight, yet all I get is a game-over. Aterdux Entertainment ?

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
That's supposed to be a battle you can win :) Try to defend out of the tower, this way they won't be mounted, or send me a save, I am pretty sure it's possible to win.

Gord

Arcane
What tower?
I get approached only when I come close enough (roughly around the northernmost castle).
Once I retreat, they do, too.

Edit: To clarify - my journal still says that I should wait for him to contact me and I get attacked by 3 or 4 groups of ~4-7 knights each. Even if I win against one, I can hardly fight all of them (they are very close together).

Last edited:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
After you win the first army, then you will lose but by an event. You have to win once though. There is a tower where they will follow you. They won't follow you into the castle though.

Gord

Arcane
Ah, I see it now. I retreated to the tower and managed to win the first fight, although it seems that I'll need to redo it with a few mercenaries to reduce my losses a bit.
Not sure what to think of that particular fight, though. It does present quite some difficulty spike in relation to the rest of the game so far (and probably for the wrong reasons).

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
We actually lowered the difficulty pretty heavy here. Beta testers were able to win against the army that was 20-30% stronger. I thought we weakened it significantly. What difficulty level are you playing on?

Gord

Arcane
Normal difficulty.
My troops consisted of my main char (the knight), 1 pikeman (highest tier), 1 highest level guard with evasion ability (30% reduced melee damage), 1 bowman (max level), 1 xbowman (2nd highest), 1 priest and one healer woman (2nd highest), plus I think 2 mid-level mercs.
Fighting against the knights outside means getting slaughtered once it's their turn with that composition, since they can kill most of my guys in 1-2 hits and their assault ability means that they get a free attack if they do - that results in losing half my guys in the first round, with most of the others already wounded.
I guess that it would have been possible to build a stronger army, but OTOH I didn't have that much trouble elsewhere.
Fighting inside is much less difficult as it significantly nerfs the knights by dismounting them.

I've finished that chapter now, by the way. Enderlein again proved some challenge, but it felt much fairer - I had to be careful, but managed it on the 2nd try.

I came across a small bug after the first time when I had managed to beat the knights. The cutscene where you give Enderlein the special item didn't trigger, instead he just attacked (I promptly lost, since I was still weakened from the fight against the knights).
It worked fine the 2nd time, though.

Also it's nice to see the results of some of your earlier decisions (like meeting Ole or Marcel Blaha - even though I sadly met the latter after I had disposed of Enderlein already).
Makes me curious about what would happened had I decided differently, but that will have to wait for a replay, I guess.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I guess we will check Enderlin troops again. We actually wanted initially to make it possible to continue after the loss but didn't implement it. I didn't have many issues with this army though as I had a hag who could dismount a few knights, plus some stuns from my baroness... Overall, it was tough for me too but I managed to beat that army in a few tries.

Glad to hear you see some consequences :) I heard from some players the game was very linear and I was wondering what game they played :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom