Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Legends of Eisenwald Thread

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Not a very competent job either. Feeling it's not an RPG because there is no feel of heroics, complaining about being stuck whacking spirits when there's a retreat buttun, and the classic quest compass whining.
They have a right to write whatever they want :) While I disagree about some of the things, it's still good the preview is up there. And I wish it was done by a writer who previewed PoE... We are the Euro Truck Simulator of RPGs :) Sounds weird.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Not a very competent job either. Feeling it's not an RPG because there is no feel of heroics, complaining about being stuck whacking spirits when there's a retreat buttun, and the classic quest compass whining.
They have a right to write whatever they want :) While I disagree about some of the things, it's still good the preview is up there. And I wish it was done by a writer who previewed PoE... We are the Euro Truck Simulator of RPGs :) Sounds weird.

Well, I guess, you cannot completely dismiss a preview which makes a Darklands reference in respect of your game. (And yes, I know that Darklands wasn't even an inspiration for your team.)

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Well, I guess, you cannot completely dismiss a preview which makes a Darklands reference in respect of your game. (And yes, I know that Darklands wasn't even an inspiration for your team.)
It's a pity the reviewer hit several of the bugs that will be fixed. For example, ghost in the Prologue now oficially is gone - http://aterdux.com/patch-0-994/. And we probably should have disable full-screen mode since there are still glitches caused by Alt-Tab - borderless window works well too. Also, a phrase from the Prologue in the preview is gone too. But I still like this preview. The author says "oddly engaging" - he is doomed to like the game, it's just going to take him a bit longer :)

Kraszu

Prophet
How much of the world is emergent? I did see that there are walking other mercenary groups but do AI do quest, and compete with you? What in the world changes with time without player involvement?

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
To see that all it takes to let the time flow while you stand in one place. They go on their own business, capture buildings, attack each other, heal, buy/sell trophies, exchange their characters for better ones if units in castles upgrade faster. Waiting might be a good option on an easy level (troops in castle will upgrade relatively fast) and then you can take on the enemies. However, waiting too much on the ultra difficult level most likely will lead to a situation where enemies get too strong and you won't be able to do anything against it. Cursed Castle scenario has also time limitation, it's pretty big but there is one nevertheless.

Kraszu

Prophet
To see that all it takes to let the time flow while you stand in one place. They go on their own business, capture buildings, attack each other, heal, buy/sell trophies, exchange their characters for better ones if units in castles upgrade faster. Waiting might be a good option on an easy level (troops in castle will upgrade relatively fast) and then you can take on the enemies. However, waiting too much on the ultra difficult level most likely will lead to a situation where enemies get too strong and you won't be able to do anything against it.

That sounds pretty good, I dream of a game with such settings, and with more emergent world ushing this concept further from space rangers, if you want an inspiration you should definitely check it. But that maybe for a next game if you could tell me if that could work:
-Different factions controlled by AI with different diplomatic relationships, that all play, and try to get stronger. It could also generate quest to do.
-maybe some outside danger, sudden monster awakening, and you among other mercenaries would help kingdoms independent villages/castes.
-you could discover ancient technology, and spells that would help kingdoms with farming, you would have to invest to develop them, you could then give them for free to make kingdoms stronger, and better diplomatic relationship with them, or sell them.
-you could do diplomatic work as well, or be a merchant, make money, and gain influence that way, for example independent castle in the new situation with monsters swarming the kingdom could be tempted to join bigger kingdom, there could also be independent races that could join, and each fraction could specialize some could be more technically advanced some better at alchemy, some in other sconces etc. after new race would join it would depend on kingdom specialty into who they could be trained. For example big strong race would do best with somebody with strong classic military, and that are proficient blacksmith, while smaller intelligent race would be good for mages, or science based kingdom. (maybe a steam punk settings to have all of that variety)

Also just because monsters are invading it doesn't mean that everybody is united, some kingdoms could underestimate it, and see it as just an good opportunity to gain more cities, and mines, some would have bad history with other kingdoms. Some could be stubbornly neutral, like dwarfs who only want to sell they weapons, and get mines, and who try to close themselves in they fortresses. You could use diplomacy/prove your worth to them or that danger is too big, and threatens them all would of course require some real action not just your world.

Ultimately somebody would have to solve problems with monsters, figure out the cause, and destroy they source of power, they could also take over cities, and turn people into monsters there, but that process could take some time so the sooner it would solved the better, other merc, and kingdoms could try to do it depending on they situation. The ending either everybody gets overrun or somebody solves the problems, not necessary you, but you could still play important not direct role, or direct depending how you prefer to play, or what made more sense.

T Cursed Castle scenario has also time limitation, it's pretty big but there is one nevertheless.

That is fine I don't like a default limit as much as a living world that you have to take into account at all times, and that gives you instant feedback.

Last edited:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
That sounds pretty good, I dream of a game with such settings, and with more emergent world ushing this concept further from space rangers, if you want an inspiration you should definitely check it. But that maybe for a next game if you could tell me if that could work:
-Different factions controlled by AI with different diplomatic relationships, that all play, and try to get stronger. It could also generate quest to do.
-maybe some outside danger, sudden monster awakening, and you among other mercenaries would help kingdoms independent villages/castes.
-you could discover ancient technology, and spells that would help kingdoms with farming, you would have to invest to develop them, you could then give them for free to make kingdoms stronger, and better diplomatic relationship with them, or sell them.
-you could do diplomatic work as well, or be a merchant, make money, and gain influence that way, for example independent castle in the new situation with monsters swarming the kingdom could be tempted to join bigger kingdom, there could also be independent races that could join, and each fraction could specialize some could be more technically advanced some better at alchemy, some in other sconces etc. after new race would join it would depend on kingdom specialty into who they could be trained. For example big strong race would do best with somebody with strong classic military, and that are proficient blacksmith, while smaller intelligent race would be good for mages, or science based kingdom. (maybe a steam punk settings to have all of that variety)
We have no plans for our next game yet. Most of the things you can do by making your own scenario. Ancient spells etc. is not so much a low fantasy and with LoE we plan to stick to that. Factions, diplomatics etc. is in the game already but in a story-driven form, there is no specific mechanics for that, and it's relatively easy to implement in Scenario Editor.

Kraszu

Prophet
That sounds goods, but I had in mind randomly generated world, and how to make it varied, and interesting. Settings could be low fantasy that doesn't matter so much I just wanted to introduce more variety.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
What can I say? Our game is very different from what you want, no random generations and story driven. We don't like games where worlds are randomly generated and have little story. I would recommend you looking somewhere else to find what you want since our game is very far from what you describe. I firmly believe that story driven non-random world will always be more fun than random. Random stuff is good for strategies with no or little story. Story driven and random doesn't really combine.

Kraszu

Prophet
Ok I was thinking of mixing strategy game with your kind of game, if you would have time check space rangers 2 it has randomly generated non static world where you control just one ship. Maybe playing that will change your mind since the game is great, and it is also very unique due to having this big map strategy element for a game where you operate just one ship, and make decisions on what to do. And your game looks good even when it isn't exactly what i am looking for.

Also how do you plan to distribute scenarios? Will you implement something into game UI say on the screen with menus where you could select from most popular maps, rank maps, search for whatever you want etc. I think that player made content is often lost due to lack of decent way to find what you look for, and for those who made them by low interest (but both of those problem are caused by the same reason). If you will only publish maps on your www vast majority of players will not even check them.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think there's much point trying to make a developer change the scope of his game because you'd prefer something else. Especially so late in development. You could try to make one yourself or push them to make the one you like after this one here

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Also how do you plan to distribute scenarios? Will you implement something into game UI say on the screen with menus where you could select from most popular maps, rank maps, search for whatever you want etc. I think that player made content is often lost due to lack of decent way to find what you look for, and for those who made them by low interest (but both of those problem are caused by the same reason). If you will only publish maps on your www vast majority of players will not even check them.

The scenarios will be distributed via Steam Workshop - you subscribe to it and then it's is in custom scenarios. Steam Workshop provides relatively good way to do that. It's a bit buggy but decent nevertheless.

I did play Space Rangers 2 (one of my favorite games) but I like games like Disciples 2 and King's Bounty much more and that holds true for the rest of our core team... So naturally, our game is closer to these two games rather than to Space Rangers.

Kraszu

Prophet

The scenarios will be distributed via Steam Workshop - you subscribe to it and then it's is in custom scenarios. Steam Workshop provides relatively good way to do that. It's a bit buggy but decent nevertheless.

I did play Space Rangers 2 (one of my favorite games) but I like games like Disciples 2 and King's Bounty much more and that holds true for the rest of our core team... So naturally, our game is closer to these two games rather than to Space Rangers.

I see, to me randomly generated living world feels like progression from a game like King Bounty, just like the AI controlled other mercenaries feel like a progression to me, so I was thinking that you might want to make it even more emergent, sorry for the confusion. I am also not sure how realistic/complicated it would be to make game with quality randomly generated world like those with various diplomatic relationships, mines, and other goods reasonable protected, and somewhat balanced since creators of space rangers did choose space to make world creation much much simpler.

I don't think there's much point trying to make a developer change the scope of his game because you'd prefer something else. Especially so late in development. You could try to make one yourself or push them to make the one you like after this one here

I wasn't trying too, it was an idea for possible future projects not for this one.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I see, to me randomly generated living world feels like progression from a game like King Bounty, just like the AI controlled other mercenaries feel like a progression to me, so I was thinking that you might want to make it even more emergent, sorry for the confusion. I am also not sure how realistic/complicated it would be to make game with quality randomly generated world like those with various diplomatic relationships, mines, and other goods reasonable protected, and somewhat balanced since creators of space rangers did choose space to make world creation much much simpler.
I don't think I'd ever put quality and randomly generated world in one sentence since manually crafted worlds are always better to my taste :) HoMM3 was like that - random maps and good play. But - no story. After all these years I played recently (within the last year) both King's Bounty and Disciples 2 however no HoMM3 and no plans for it. Random maps pretend to be different but in reality they are not. Like single maps in Disciples 2 - never opened one since I played the saga. So, I think randomly generated worlds belong to strategies. RPGs - not so much. Especially if they are story driven.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kraszu I think you'll like Battle Brothers. Sounds like what you're looking for, more or less.

Kraszu

Prophet
I don't think I'd ever put quality and randomly generated world in one sentence since manually crafted worlds are always better to my taste :) HoMM3 was like that - random maps and good play. But - no story. After all these years I played recently (within the last year) both King's Bounty and Disciples 2 however no HoMM3 and no plans for it. Random maps pretend to be different but in reality they are not. Like single maps in Disciples 2 - never opened one since I played the saga. So, I think randomly generated worlds belong to strategies. RPGs - not so much. Especially if they are story driven.

Yeah it wouldn't be story driven, but I was thinking if randomly generated world could be made more interesting when AI would play it at least to some limited extent before player enters the game, AI would make try to get stronger, and it would be part of what shapes the world but it seems very complex so idk if that could ever realistically work. Maybe AI would be capped in multiple ways to make it not be taken over by one faction, and there would be technological limit, and they could do some of diplomatic actions (like getting new race on they side).

Yeah Battle Brothers sounds pretty interesting I did check it out but it is early access as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom