Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Legends of Eisenwald Thread

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Clueless shitheads said:
I kind of don’t get it… When the game is defined as a “classic old school RPG with tactical turn-based battles, simple economic model” why would you enter it in indiecade?

It seems weird to me, with no hook, no novelty and no tutorial, the game feels… Well, like a 90s game. It’s a “classic, yes, but “old school” doesn’t have to mean “old”.

This game is an impressive technical achievement! Indiecade however looks for games that innovate in design or other categories, and Legends of Eisenwald is largely a worthy but loyal recreation of a well-trodden category.

Reading that made me sick to my fucking stomach. :mad:

Honestly though , you shouldn't feel bad. Aren't you up to date about the whole Gamergate thing?
IGF, Indiecade are both useless artfag cliques with some very shady dealings behind the scenes.

The sooner people stop giving these circlejerks attention, the better.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Yeah, well I also found that weird in your update email. Since I heard about Indiecade the first time today, I guess nothing of value was lost ;)
Any ETA on release now that your programmer is better? (I hope he has fully recovered?)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
The first one is what really grinds my gears.
"why would you enter it in indiecade?"
Yeah, really. Fucking why.

The western indie community needs to go up in arms, IGF and Indiecade are tarnishing their image something fierce.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The first one is what really grinds my gears.
"why would you enter it in indiecade?"
Yeah, really. Fucking why.
it's spot on, though. here's a quote from the indicade site:
Our mission is to encourage, promote and cultivate innovation and artistry in interactive media and to champion those efforts.
that's as hipster as you can get.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
No worries, we don't feel bad or anything but could not help but share what they said. "No tutorial" review is pretty much unprofessional and yes, starting the game for 5 minutes would not be enough to find that option. Yes, unfortunately IndieCade stuff is about artsy fartsy stuff and now we know :) So, IGF is the same? No need to bother to apply there as well?

We know the value of what we are doing and yes, hardcore RPGs are not for everyone anyway. But thank God there are enough people who are still into that.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, well I also found that weird in your update email. Since I heard about Indiecade the first time today, I guess nothing of value was lost ;)
Any ETA on release now that your programmer is better? (I hope he has fully recovered?)
We tried really hard for October but by now this is unlikely. Translators (French, German) are struggling, 200k text is not a joke and it cannot be done fast and with good quality. Also, while new UI is nice and good looking, it introduced a certain amount of issues we didn't discover in testing in house. So, few more months of work for sure.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
IGF is not worth to apply, I think. While they are less artsy fartsy than IndieCade and nominates or awards relatively complex games (e.g. FTL, The Banner Saga), they also are not so favorable to old-school games, especially RPGs.

DefJam101

Arcane
Clueless shitheads said:
I kind of don’t get it… When the game is defined as a “classic old school RPG with tactical turn-based battles, simple economic model” why would you enter it in indiecade?

It seems weird to me, with no hook, no novelty and no tutorial, the game feels… Well, like a 90s game. It’s a “classic, yes, but “old school” doesn’t have to mean “old”.

This game is an impressive technical achievement! Indiecade however looks for games that innovate in design or other categories, and Legends of Eisenwald is largely a worthy but loyal recreation of a well-trodden category.

Reading that made me sick to my fucking stomach. :mad:
You think this is bad trying reading comment sections on 90s revival (for lack of a better term) shooters. Bunch of fucking idiots who cry "unoriginal" in response to any shooter that dare model itself after a dead genre whose fans have been waiting more than a decade for a single well-made title. Meanwhile, the games industry shits out generic Mass Uncharted Halocod Elder Effect clones like there's no tomorrow and 80% of indie developers scramble to produce the definitive version of FEZ 2: The Roguelike-like Chronicles

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not much to tell.

It's kind of like that time when I emailed a prestigious magazine and was told that the editorial stuff is busy and if I want their attention I should order them pizza and given a phone number of a nearby pizza place. I kid you not. Technically it was a sound advice (and it was offered as an advice) as it would have cost me less than 100 bucks I paid for the IGF entry, but you have to draw the fucking line somewhere.

Entering the game and talking to the judges (one guy talked to two NPCs and thought it was the entire demo; don't ask) made me realize that it's the wrong place to promote the game and it's for a very different kind of indie games, to say the least.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Not much to tell.

It's kind of like that time when I emailed a prestigious magazine and was told that the editorial stuff is busy and if I want their attention I should order them pizza and given a phone number of a nearby pizza place. I kid you not. Technically it was a sound advice (and it was offered as an advice) as it would have cost me less than 100 bucks I paid for the IGF entry, but you have to draw the fucking line somewhere.

Entering the game and talking to the judges (one guy talked to two NPCs and thought it was the entire demo; don't ask) made me realize that it's the wrong place to promote the game and it's for a very different kind of indie games, to say the least.
Were they the people who thought you couldn't go outside the first town in the demo?

Weasel
It's kind of like that time when I emailed a prestigious magazine and was told that the editorial stuff is busy and if I want their attention I should order them pizza and given a phone number of a nearby pizza place. I kid you not.

Hmm, so there's a pizza place that delivers to both Crooked Bee and Infinitron...

:updatedmytxt:

Vault Dweller

Developer
The prestigious magazine in question is one of the biggest gaming media corporations, hence my surprise. These people are so used to getting something for previews and impressions, the thought to do it "for free" wouldn't occur to them. At the same time it's still a very juvenile business where you can buy positive impressions with food.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I know it might seem blockheaded from me, but why not just come out and name some names? Give source, if possible?
It's not like you can expect glowing reviews from THESE kinds of sites anyway.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The advice was offered in good faith and it was a good advice as that's how it works in the 'real world'. It's fairly common in sales (except for taking someone who can help you to a restaurant is a lot more expensive than ordering several pizzas). I guess expecting people working for large companies to do it out of passion and love for the genre - the way many indie developers and sites like the Codex and the Watch do it - was a bit naive and bitching about it would serve no purpose whatsoever.

I mentioned it here not to complain but to share the experience and point out that there are different gaming 'circles'. There are the indie festivals that have a very specific definition of what indie is and isn't. If your game isn't some innovative artsy-fartsy stuff, don't bother. There is the corporate corner - corporate media serving the interests of AAA customers who keep pizza and doritos coming at a steady rate.

There are second-tier sites like Kotaku and Destructoid and agencies that charge 2-3k a month to keep you covered. And then there is the almighty Steam that handles 90% of your sales no matter what you do. Get on the front page and try to stay there for as long as you can and you'll do fine. Etc.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
The thing about Steam front page these days is that it's not easy to get there. Not even full release is a guarantee. So, if a game wins in a festival or there is enough publicity then chances are higher to get there, in my opinion. And also, once game is up there, it's still best to bring some traffic to Steam from external sources to keep the featuring. According to some marketing things, it's good to build awareness first of the product - people who heard about it are way more likely to buy it.

So, while I agree with you in general, still, working with press is a must. I think festivals now are out though :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom