Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Legends of Eisenwald Thread

Renevent

Cipher
Grabbed this yesterday and played around a bit...so far I think it has a lot of promise. Question to those who also have it though, are the battle sound effects currently missing from the game? I checked the audio volume(s) and they are both turned all the way up, but there's no sound effects at all.

Aothan

Magister
I'm experiencing similar issues which are presumably a consequence of the most recent patch.

edit: To be clearer, the music rather than the combat sounds has subsequently disappeared. I'm not quite sure if there were combat sounds before the most recent patch as I did not initially play whilst listening. As to music if you uncheck "disable loading sounds" that will restore the game's background music.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Q&A: http://gamebanshee.com/news/112547-legends-of-eisenwald-interview.html

Do you plan to include random maps/scenarios generation?

"No, we don't. We appreciate that everyone wants us to make the AAA-level game, but we are hardcore indie developers. Script editor gives this possibility. Our game is not a complete strategy as "Heroes 3", so the implementation will be quite different. Even our maps with only battles won't be very interesting except for the limited circle of gamers. I personally won't play with this type of maps.

The median play time reaches 30 hours. How much time is needed to complete "Early access" version? 10 hours, I think but it is a very rough estimate. Many people need more time to get used to the game mechanics and investigate the world.

There's a topic on our forum from a man who played over 80 hours, 40+ hours are also not an exception."

Which possibilities are blocked in the "Early access" version but will be available in the full version of the game?

"Bosses will not be available and we don't plan to include the whole main campaign. We will also exclude from the editor those monsters and bosses, which haven't been introduced in the game yet. We think, the complete game will produce better effect when it has the whole story. Therefore we want even early access players to have complete game experience. Nevertheless we will conduct beta-testing of the whole campaign, tests are very important."

You said, "bosses"?

"Yeah, special characters, or simply – bosses. They are rare, but they exist. Characters with the unique game mechanics, if you want more clear definition. This will be kind of tactical puzzle."

They won't be present in the "Early access" version at all, or there will be a couple of them? Is it possible to deal with them without fight?

"They won't be present in the "Early access" version. I won't tell anything else. We want to keep a sort of a mystery."

Alternative endings?

"Yeah, depending on your choices. Even "Masquerade" had them."

Aothan

Magister
I've been meaning to comment on the skill choices available to the commanders, although after playing through once or twice more on higher difficulty settings. In advance of those possible comments I'm curious to know whether the current design is largely the final design intended or if skill choices will be changed as the game develops.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I've been meaning to comment on the skill choices available to the commanders, although after playing through once or twice more on higher difficulty settings. In advance of those possible comments I'm curious to know whether the current design is largely the final design intended or if skill choices will be changed as the game develops.
We have a few ideas regarding skills and might add or remove a few for the sake of balance, but in large it will remain like this. Now we are focusing more on what we have rather than adding a lot of new things. There are some obvious features that need to be changed/fixed/improved and everything else we will keep for the future addons :)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't wait to check out the map editor.
Also, how feasible does making custom units and heroes look, right now?

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Congrats on sticking through. :salute:

Any ETA on when the game itself will reach "finished" status?
No ETA yet! Not January for sure :) Translation and proof reading is quite a lot on its own without other things...

We will add support soon, but some players already customized heroes, someone made a female mystic.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We will add support soon, but some players already customized heroes, someone made a female mystic.
i know, but if I recall correct, he did that mainly by using ingame assets and a bit of photoshopping.
Using custom assets and such, how's that? Also, how easy is it to flip skills around? Like, say, turn the Knight into a raging Berserker type who starts with ability to wield all weapons, but has to learn skills to use shields and heavy armor, etc.?

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
i know, but if I recall correct, he did that mainly by using ingame assets and a bit of photoshopping.
Using custom assets and such, how's that? Also, how easy is it to flip skills around? Like, say, turn the Knight into a raging Berserker type who starts with ability to wield all weapons, but has to learn skills to use shields and heavy armor, etc.?
To be honest, I am not quite sure. I think in the end it will be possible to do that - Map Editor can work with characters too - but this will be done later once we have a framework for modding. Currently, if you mod or add things, it will overwrite game files, which is not the best thing to do. We want to add folders for modding where then you can copy and modify existing files (characters could be edited using ini files if I am not mistaken).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/legendsofeisenwald/482/interview.html
Legends of Eisenwald Interview (PC)
Self-described knight-errant simulator Legends of Eisenwald is an upcoming turn-based strategy from Belarus based developer Aterdux Entertainment. Taking inspiration from Disciples 2 and experience from the studio’s previous game – Discord Times – this new title aims to provide a chunky realistic fantasy experience in a world designed to be light on the clichés and heavy on the folklore. We got together with studio head Alexander Dergay to see what it is that makes Legends of Eisenwald a unique offering.

Strategy Informer: Can you tell us in your own words what Legends of Eisenwald is all about?

Alexander Dergay: It’s a mix of RPG and strategy, with a focus on the RPG side of things. The game centres on a rich story and features tactical turn-based combat, exploration, and some simple economic elements. We drew inspiration from games like Disciples 2 – how the units level up, how the world map is explored and the well-designed story-driven campaigns.

We wanted to create a medieval setting which was a grittier and a more real fantasy world; a place where superstitions of historic ages come to life. We don’t have the typical overblown fantastical things like fireballs, elves and orcs. Instead of that, the game is based on real-world folklore; things which people believed in medieval times like werewolves, vampires, witches, herbal healing, and so on.

Strategy Informer: Why did you decide to go for that kind of gaming universe?

Alexander Dergay: Most of us used to be heavily into live action role-playing. Here in Minsk we have several historical reconstruction clubs so for us it was kind of natural to go for a world based more in reality. We also got a little tired of all the clichés in fantasy settings – elves are thin and arrogant, dwarves are strong and short, and so on. There are too many games which have featured those things so we wanted to focus on something a little different.

Strategy Informer: The ethics in Legends of Eisenwald are also a little less black and white than the norm. Can you talk about that?

Alexander Dergay: Yes, one of the things that are equally overdone these days is that a hero has to save the world simply because he is a hero. We wanted something more human than that. For us, to achieve immersion into the gaming world you have to make it believable, so in our gaming world people are driven by realistic aspirations. Those would be things like the desire for revenge, for fame, for money, or wanting to rule. The game is a fantasy but it’s based on real historic motivations in a way which we think makes the world more immersive for the player.

Strategy Informer: Given that you’re focusing on a grittier and more folklore-based world, to what extent is magic featured?

Alexander Dergay: There is magic in the game but all our mages, so to speak, are units of support. So healers can do incantations to improve your characters will, for example, and there are some witches who can curse you. The magic we have is quite low-key, the kind of thing which could function based on real-world beliefs and superstitions. Equally the fantasy creatures in the game are based on historic lore.

Strategy Informer: Could you tell us a bit more about how the combat works?

Alexander Dergay: Our idea was to evolve the kind of combat in Disciples 2 and games like Heroes of Might and Magic. We wanted to make it not as long-lasting but still tactical and fun. So with our system we try to prevent empty moves – we constrain the player in some ways to force them to attack or make meaningful moves. In addition, our system has no randomness to it; everything can be calculated absolutely.

Another crucial difference with Legends of Eisenwald is that units are not stacked. You don’t have armies of hundreds of units occupying one tile. Instead, every unit on the battlefield is an individual fighter with a name, statistics, and equipment. Because of that you have a lot of scope for customisation, you can equip your units with the items that you want and then decide in what ways to upgrade them. Rather than a big military general with a massive army you are more like a knight commander with a small dispatch.

Strategy Informer: What kinds of modes of play will the game feature?

Alexander Dergay: To start with we will just feature campaign play. We’ve designed it in such a way as to give it replayability and make it non-linear; so with one play through you won’t experience everything the game has to offer. We estimate one playthrough from scratch will be around 30+ hours. We will be including a scenario editor at some point, although it is rather complex to use but we are very interested to see what our players will come up with.

I don’t want to give too much away about the story because we’re very happy with how it’s turning out and we don’t want to spoil anything. But basically it’s about a hero who returns home to find his lands in disarray and he has to find out what’s going on, why this has happened and who his enemies are and maybe go on to reach an understanding or seek revenge against them. Currently in our early access on Steam we have three playable chapters from the campaign.

Strategy Informer: What has been the biggest challenge design-wise?

Alexander Dergay: Well one thing is that we don’t have a single game designer; pretty much everyone in our company participates in the game design. We have two major schools of thought in our company which have conflicted with each other. One is a group of very serious gamers, and then there are people like me who like things not to be quite so hardcore and fun to play. So a big challenge has been reconciling and bringing together those two ways of thinking and finding a compromise between them. In the end I think that everyone is happy with how things are turning out.

Strategy Informer: Which part of the game do you personally enjoy the most?

Alexander Dergay: I really like the story and the immersion that we’ve been able to create. As a player you really feel motivated to go and explore and find-out about different parts of the world. I personally really like story-driven games, and I think that I’m very happy with how that has turned out.

Strategy Informer: Alex, thanks for your time, we’re looking forward to seeing the final release.

Alexander Dergay: Thank you!

Legends of Eisenwald is currently available on Steam early access with the final release unscheduled but expected soon.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Had another stab at this today (first time since the very first beta). Much more playable. Actually did some quests.

Lots of mouse lag though, need to implement a hardware mouse cursor.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Had another stab at this today (first time since the very first beta). Much more playable. Actually did some quests.

What's your system specs? Mouse would be slow in some weaker graphics cards, and the game is not optimized for performance yet - no lower res textures, pathfinding is a bit rough etc. Also, it seems high res mouse could be a sort of trouble too.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

What's your system specs? Mouse would be slow in some weaker graphics cards, and the game is not optimized for performance yet - no lower res textures, pathfinding is a bit rough etc. Also, it seems high res mouse could be a sort of trouble too.

i7 870, 16gb ram, hd7970. It's not my graphics, it's just the mouse code. It is probably bugged in Windows 8.1 though.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
This game looks very generic.
how so?

14a464ed82a81acf7a09d17cac3a06f2_large.jpg

That looks like it could be any RPG. Like a demo for a Dragon Age game or a Gothic demo or Risen demo.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
There's a guy on horseback right there, so it has to be at least Oblivion quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom