Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Legends of Eisenwald Thread

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Well, those guys have over 3000 comments, which is way more than what we have. So yes, that's the power of fans and while probably none of us here can understand it, they are still out there :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ask Valve to be your publisher... of course they will insist on hats, but...

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Paradox would be a perfect partner for you guys. You should consider some kind of distribution deal with them.
We haven't talked to Paradox yet, but many other publishers we talked want us to go to Steam through them. While it's understandable, we are not sure that this is a good way to do - this way it won't be a distribution deal, it would be more a publishing deal, and besides uncertainties in the business sense of this, there might be a lot of negativity coming from all over the place, once we mention the word "publisher". So, right now it's off the table. Do you think it would be wise to cancel Greenlight campaign and go to Steam through them if they ask us to? I doubt that it is a good way to go.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Paradox would be a perfect partner for you guys. You should consider some kind of distribution deal with them.
We haven't talked to Paradox yet, but many other publishers we talked want us to go to Steam through them. While it's understandable, we are not sure that this is a good way to do - this way it won't be a distribution deal, it would be more a publishing deal, and besides uncertainties in the business sense of this, there might be a lot of negativity coming from all over the place, once we mention the word "publisher". So, right now it's off the table. Do you think it would be wise to cancel Greenlight campaign and go to Steam through them if they ask us to? I doubt that it is a good way to go.
I'm not sure. Like you mentioned lots of people will freak out if you decide to go with a publisher after saying the opposite in the kickstarter. It will give you bad rep. On the other hand if they don't tell you how to develop the game and give you free hands, than it might worth it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WTF is going on this thread.

No publishers, no distributors. You'll make it on Greenlight.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I'm not sure. Like you mentioned lots of people will freak out if you decide to go with a publisher after saying the opposite in the kickstarter. It will give you bad rep. On the other hand if they don't tell you how to develop the game and give you free hands, than it might worth it.
Sales with a publisher must be 2-3 times higher in order to make the same financial results as when we sell it ourselves through Steam because they take the bulk of royalties from Steam. This is not very appealing to be honest. Yes, if there is no other choice, it's still worth it but if we are admitted there directly, I don't see that publisher is necessary. Come on, we are on place #5 now, 45k yes votes, why bother with all these publisher stuff? :)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sales with a publisher must be 2-3 times higher in order to make the same financial results as when we sell it ourselves through Steam because they take the bulk of royalties from Steam. This is not very appealing to be honest. Yes, if there is no other choice, it's still worth it but if we are admitted there directly, I don't see that publisher is necessary. Come on, we are on place #5 now, 45k yes votes, why bother with all these publisher stuff? :)
That's the spirit! :bro:

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I was talking about a distributor, that's a pretty big difference. If you make it through Greenlight, that's only the first step. Localisations, age verifications in different terrorities, legal end user stuff, etc. have to be handled,too. If you don't mind to manage this stuff by yourself, then self distribution is definitely the way to go.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
I was talking about a distributor, that's a pretty big difference. If you make it through Greenlight, that's only the first step. Localisations, age verifications in different terrorities, legal end user stuff, etc. have to be handled,too. If you don't mind to manage this stuff by yourself, then self distribution is definitely the way to go.
We will do some distribution agreements. But as I said, biggest appeal for all these publishers-distributors is to get big share for putting you on Steam. And in the end result, if we say no, we will get to Steam ourselves, they are not interested anymore. I'd be happy to sign a distribution deal on these terms - we get to Steam ourselves, and they handle other channels but several publishers we talked to don't seem to be interested in that. So, it's either we agree to what they offer or don't, no middle ground here. And that's why we prefer to handle it ourselves at the moment.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Damn greedy publishers who want to get paid tons of money for doing next to no work, just telling Valve "here is our new game, OK?"

Seems like there could be a market for a publisher that takes finished games from kickstarter and puts them on steam and other channels with a reasonable cut for themselves, and no meddling in the game content.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Damn greedy publishers who want to get paid tons of money for doing next to no work, just telling Valve "here is our new game, OK?"

Seems like there could be a market for a publisher that takes finished games from kickstarter and puts them on steam and other channels with a reasonable cut for themselves, and no meddling in the game content.
Well, I don't see publishers as very evil but with new things like Kickstarter they will have to change. Those who realize that the world is a bit different, will get some competitive advantage. I read somewhere that "publishing is basically heavily overcharged PR job but job that nevertheless has to be done". In the world without Kickstarter I probably would have gone to a publisher because experimenting with PR for the first time would have been too risky. But now, knowing a little about PR and working with PR agency and making a game that we feel passionate about and believe it (and successful Kickstarter and Greenlight campaigns would be a proof to that), I see little need to go to a publisher. Some distribution agreements would be nice but not more than that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Legends of Eisenwald just got Greenlit on Steam. :dance: Great job guys, this will make a huge difference in sales!
Aterdux Entertainment - It has been a while since the last update. How's the project going?

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
You are so fast here, I wanted to post this great news myself, damn :) But yes, greenlit and thank you all! You believed in us from the start and it was and is great to feel that your wonderful site is our home base! (as well as for many other good games)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
:drink:

Congrats guys!
Had a lot of fun in the beta (although I was constantly being murdered horribly). This game is shaping mighty fine.
Keep it up!

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Congrats guys!
Had a lot of fun in the beta (although I was constantly being murdered horribly). This game is shaping mighty fine.
Keep it up!
Thank you! Well, current beta is more on the "hard" level I guess. I ran into a situation myself where I couldn't win a battle - we need to rebalance it's a bit since the hit/wounds system changed again. But yes, it's shaping pretty well and wait until you get the entire game and large campaign (some might call it saga like in Disciples). I am getting shivers just by reading the text we have :)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Will the game be released this year? I know that you need time to iron our the bugs and make an awesome game, but I hope it will be released as soon as possible.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Will the game be released this year? I know that you need time to iron our the bugs and make an awesome game, but I hope it will be released as soon as possible.
J_C, definitely this year. It's not just the bugs though we need to iron out - we need to finish scripting the whole campaign, add special video and audio effects and finish UI. This is not something we can do in a month, unfortunately. September seems best choice at the moment and yes, we will release as soon as we can. There are no publishers nor plans to add any big features, so I really hope to release soon.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Guys, just take your time with this baby, don't release until you're absolutely happy with it.
I know fans are superexcited about this one but don't give in :)
Lately some absolutely fantastic games from eastern bloc developers had their reputation tarnished unnecessarily because they were rushed and horribly bugged (Warlock or Eador pop in mind).

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Guys, just take your time with this baby, don't release until you're absolutely happy with it.
I know fans are superexcited about this one but don't give in :)
Lately some absolutely fantastic games from eastern bloc developers had their reputation tarnished unnecessarily because they were rushed and horribly bugged (Warlock or Eador pop in mind).
Yes, Eador example scared us quite a bit. But it seems like Metro is doing well. We (and it's nice to know that we ourselves can decide :)) will not release a game that is not ready to be released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom