Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

imweasel

So the Zelda series is now a hiking simulator + flower picking simulator + Windwaker on crack with MMORPG style quests. "You see that mountain? You can climb it !1!!11!" :lol:

You hike around, pick up a stick, pick up an apple, hike around some more, pick up a mushroom, chop down a tree, open a chest and find five arrows, hike around even more, kill group of enemies to unlock secret 1/255 (find them all for a worthless achievement) and so on. Wash rinse repeat....

I've enjoyed the Zelda games since I was a kid, but this shit looks fucking awful.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

360 square kilometres...

Yup. I was right it's gonna be Wind Waker all over again.
Not even the Witcher 3 biggest region is that big. And it's surprising that CDPR made it with an actually good exploration. But they had experience, talent and patience to make it happen so. Nintendo doesn't have that.

Lets summarize all the things you can do in Zelda and the changes:

World

•There are shrines scattered around the world, over 100, each have trails of puzzles or combat. Treasures and sometimes new skills are found within. These are not the full dungeons you will also find.
•There are enemy base camps, some have a treasure chest that only opens when you clear the camp.

Wich will feel very repetitive after the first 3. Also the camp will be the same as MGS5 and Far Cry 2 checpoints (with trashy loot on the chests)

•The E3 demo is only the plateau, a small elevated chunk of land where you can spend hours and hours exploring and its like 2% of the full game.

This is bad. Even tough they did seen to try their best to make the plateu feel somewhat alive, they probably won't manage to keep that up with the rest of the world.

Combat
spxxOvV.gif

•Mostly its like WW/TP but with new options. If you dodge at the right time you can do a fury strike which slows things down and allows for a super combo of attacks.

:deathclaw:

NOOOO. It's really like Wind Waker all over again. Press the A in the 5 second time window to insta kill that mini-boss.

•You can pick up any weapon and use it, they degrade fast so you need to stock up on them. All of it governed by a stats system. Enemies drop weapons too, which you can pick up. Different classes of weapons fight differently like a spear is fast and used for thrust attacks. An axe is slow but powerful. Clubs are big and slow and can be put on fire.

This might be good. If they don't wash it down in the MMO and jRPG typical item upgrading system. "You some Peasent Clothes +55 !". Also they have to be careful it this because in the Zelda games, items had always something special to them for player fonding them only in the dungeon's and for being unique, singular.
Gathering and cooking

Use the wolf amiibo from TP and wolf link appears in your game and is your companion until it dies. It will hunt for you, attack enemies, and so on.

Soooo... There's no other way to have acess to Wolf Link?
No......

:killit:

•These shrines have great puzzles, one is a gigantic spinning gear with spikes, you need to freeze the gears in time to jump around. Another had a series of rooms with giant boulders which needed to be pushed. At one point you take control of a giant hammer to smack the boulder. You can use all your skills to solve these, no set solution, multiple ways to solve all puzzles.

I am sure that won't last long. Also they will probably sin in the level design... or the loot found in them... or the puzzle design.

Well aside from this they have really good ideas. But I fear this game will fail because Nintendo is being too ambicious for their on sake.
It kind of reminds me of Daggerfall.

Because aside from these issues, that already are BIG ISSUES. There's one thing Nintendo hasn't mencioned.

And it is the content they will fill this game with. Will this game have any other activities aside from the main quest and the survival elemesnts. Will it have side-quests, something they always (except in Majora's Mask) sucked. Will those side-quest's be the usual bullshit bug hunt or like Majora's Mask ones?

I want this game to work and be good. But they did seen to have biten off more than they can chew.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This game hasn't come out yet but there are already shittons of gameplay footage (and they are pretty fucking long).
Gonna leave the ones I think are best (beware the hosts can be annoying and slow):

I'm glad that we're finally getting a Zelda where you don't really know what to expect. And it gives me great hope that they're taking inspiration from Zelda 1.

If nothing else the open world looks like a lot of fun to explore. I just hope Hyrule is actually dangerous this time around.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Apparently you can go and kill the final boss as soon as you begin the game, provided that you know where and how to get there. Will this be the Morrowind of Zelda?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Apparently you can go and kill the final boss as soon as you begin the game, provided that you know where and how to get there. Will this be the Morrowind of Zelda?

Speed runners just got a boner.

Avellion

Erudite
Well, you will be able to beat the game without finishing the story. So I certainly hope that this is the case.

Gotta love it when games allow oyu to do things out of order.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The PS4 will have a decent lineup of exclusives...in 2-3 years. Same can't be said for the Wii-U.
:dead:

For now, that owner should look into something called a 'feather duster'. Or a disinfectant wipe. That shit looks disgusting.

---

Arcane
It's plenty of good (not masterpieces, but good) games on PS4, and there are a lot of titles which will be published in the next moths. Of course, for Codex standards, they are all shit, but no surprise.

The PS4 will have a decent lineup of exclusives...in 2-3 years. Same can't be said for the Wii-U.
And for Xbox too :M

Hobo Elf

Arcane
E3 did not help Xbox at all either since everything they announced for it is also coming for the PC as well. And then there's the new Scorpio console which will most likely replace the whole Xbox One since it will be a lot more powerful.

---

Arcane
Yeah, it's clear that this generation was a failure for M$, and they want to pass almost immediately to the new one. While Scorpio wasn't presented as a whole new console, the power gap between the current Xbox and the Scorpio will be huge. Sony instead, since PS4 is selling very well (and with all the exclusives that they announced, they will sell even more consoles), has almost no interest, at the moment, for the new generation: Sony bosses said more than once that Neo will be only a "minor" upgrade.
As for me, I still don't have a PS4, but I will probably buy one, since I liked a lot Horizon, among the games of this E3, and Sony exclusives were always more appealing for me in general. NX, instead - while Nintendo games are always exceptional, imho -, have to be a real good console, if they want my money (this Zelda, while beautiful, isn't enough to justify the price of the console, at the moment). First of all, for example, they need a lot of third party games, since the first part ones aren't enough.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm not understanding the point of the Scorpio. The Phil Spencer guy says that you'll only get the benefits if you have a 4k TV but most people don't. Does that mean that even if the console is more powerful, games will just run the same as a regular Xbox one? Seems like it

---

Arcane
I'm not understanding the point of the Scorpio. The Phil Spencer guy says that you'll only get the benefits if you have a 4k TV but most people don't. Does that mean that even if the console is more powerful, games will just run the same as a regular Xbox one? Seems like it
It's clear that also in Microsoft can't understand the point of Scorpio, bro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom