Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

Severian Silk

I am willing to accept donations of Switch + BotW should any of you feel the inclination.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
A not-so positive review about the game that seemed more balanced than the Jim Sterline one. His comparisons to Skyrim and The Witcher 3 are funny because he says all three share the same large expanse of world that sometimes feel empty but he prefers the latter 2 because they are more detailed and have better graphics.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.gamer.no/artikler/anmeldelse-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/377909&edit-text=

"After 50 hours of gameplay is the verdict clear. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild ends up being a game with extremely unique highlights, while the excitement and the urge to explore every nook and cranny fading in length. I sat glued to the screen for the first 20 hours but the excitement fell drastically in the second half."

Rating 6/10

Clearly not a clickbait

RapineDel

Augur
A not-so positive review about the game that seemed more balanced than the Jim Sterline one. His comparisons to Skyrim and The Witcher 3 are funny because he says all three share the same large expanse of world that sometimes feel empty but he prefers the latter 2 because they are more detailed and have better graphics.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.gamer.no/artikler/anmeldelse-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/377909&edit-text=

"After 50 hours of gameplay is the verdict clear. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild ends up being a game with extremely unique highlights, while the excitement and the urge to explore every nook and cranny fading in length. I sat glued to the screen for the first 20 hours but the excitement fell drastically in the second half."

Rating 6/10

Clearly not a clickbait

Is no one allowed to give it less then a 10 without being called out as clickbait? This is sounding like the fanboy attitude I find on Nintendo pages. The game looks like a breath of fresh air compared to more recent open world titles (Ubisoft, Skyrim, Mordor etc.) but hardly one of the greatest games of all time. It looks like Nintendo have just gotten things a little more right by going for what developers were doing with their worlds 15 years ago with the Gothic games and Morrowind. Hardly anything groundbreaking, just better then the recent rubbish put out by others.

I also find that story gets a free pass whereas others in the same genre are put down negatively in reviews for not having a good story. From all reports I've heard the games story is lackluster to non existent yet this is apparently a 'perfect' game judging from all the 10s. If a similar open world game comes out from someone else it'd likely get a 7 based on a non existent story alone but as usual Nintendo are the exception to the rule. Kind of like Bethesda get with bugs/performance.

sullynathan

Arcane
If a similar open world game comes out from someone else it'd likely get a 7 based on a non existent story alone
Not sure how true this is, after all Skyrim was just as well received as breath of the wild.

His review was a bit contradictory though and he doesn't explain why TES exploration for him would be better than BOTW.
Witcher 3 and Skyrim are some of his favorite games and he believes them to be so well designed to excuse their vast open space.

RapineDel

Augur
If a similar open world game comes out from someone else it'd likely get a 7 based on a non existent story alone
Not sure how true this is, after all Skyrim was just as well received as breath of the wild.

His review was a bit contradictory though and he doesn't explain why TES exploration for him would be better than BOTW.
Witcher 3 and Skyrim are some of his favorite games and he believes them to be so well designed to excuse their vast open space.

To be fair I didn't read the whole review, my point is more about reviewers as a whole not specifically that reviewer giving it a 6. I agree that seeing people call games like Horizon and Skyrim amazing to explore is a bit cringe worthy when they critisise BotW though, even Witcher 3 to an extent which is just following question marks around the map.

Skyrim had IMO a poor narrative, but at least it had something there and a lot of the gaming community enjoyed it even if I and I assume you didn't. BotW seems to have pretty much nothing though and is just about exploring the game world, visiting shrines on your map until you're ready to fight the end boss. I just think there's enough negatives there for all the 10s to be classic Nintendo bias.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm really dumb founded by the dislike and amount of hate that this game is getting because of weapon durability.

GameSpot posted this video and someone in the comment is butthurt that the game actually has weather effects that impact gameplay.

Oh shit the comments gave me AIDS. Here's some things I learned:

LoZ invented open world.
BotW is revolutionary because Ultima and Gothic don't exist.
Uncharted and Tomb Raider are RPGs.
The best open world RPGs up until this point were Skyrim, TWitcher 3, and Horizon Zero Dawn

Console peasants are officially the most ignorant audience any entertainment medium has. They love to insist on their objectively wrong beliefs. I'm done with the "community" outside of the walls of Codex and various little sites where actual critical thinking and fact checking takes place.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
A guy form Kotaku has obtained all Kolog seeds. The reward is a completely shit.

literally
zz9y5d4dn2xvvrclebdn.jpg

Keldryn

Arcane
After playing a good 30 hours on the Switch, I still have to say that the performance issues are totally overblown. That doesn't meant that there aren't performance drops, but significantly detracting or ruining the game experience?

Must be a millenial thing.:P

Wing Commander was awesome on a 12MHz 286, even if the performance got choppy with some regularity. It took a 20MHz 386SX for it to play smoothly (and to get the animated hand and control stick), which most people did not have in 1990.

Every Origin game from the early 90s (when they were truly in their golden age) had major performance issues on anything but the highest end hardware (which was expensive). I was ahead of the upgrade curve (compared to most) and I never had a system that ran any of those games well when they first came out. I certainly wouldn't have deducted points from Wing Commander II or Ultima VII because they got choppy at times.

In my experience, performance hits when the game is pushing the hardware is the norm. This idea that a game is unplayable if it doesn't maintain a constant 30/60 fps is baffling.

Like I said, it's gotta be Millenials.

Ivan

Arcane
got my Wii U copy! is it true they stripped the gamepad features that Wind Waker utilized? no more switching weapons on the fly?

Keldryn

Arcane
got my Wii U copy! is it true they stripped the gamepad features that Wind Waker utilized? no more switching weapons on the fly?

Yeah, they ditched the second screen functionality so that both versions would have the same experience.

You can press and hold right on the d-pad to bring up the list of weapons and then use the right stick to select the one you want. The game pauses while you do this and it takes next to no time. I've played both Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD (and all three 3DS Zeldas) and I don't find myself missing the second screen at all.

I may actually prefer this way, simply because the game pauses while you scroll through the weapons. It wasn't a big deal on the 3DS because it was easy to have both screens in your field of vision, but I didn't like taking my eyes off the screen to look at the Gamepad when selecting items or looking at the map, given that it doesn't pause the game.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
^nintendo fanboy detected

ezgif-2-69bba8efd8.gif

Even so, Breath of the Wild is easily one of the better Zelda games and is also an exceptional hiking simulator.

Like, you can actually hike up mountains. Shrines having puzzles helps resolve the issue of games being samey samey with each dungeon. Shrine themes are the same but the puzzles keep it interesting.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That 404 image is dope as fuck. Reminds me of how broken Bethesda games are by comparison.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I wanna know what's gonna be in the hard mode when they add it to the game. I thought of a few things that I'd like, some of which I wish were in the base game.

-No fast travel, or have it cost something to use such as rupees
-No fast travel in combat
-Attacking, dodging and blocking drains stamina
-Running out of stamina drains hearts when performing actions
-Health items can't be used in combat (or are limited to a few per fight, no spam healing)
-More stuff affecting temperature, such as Link getting cold when it's raining
-Blood Moon is more frequent and does more than respawn enemies. Maybe cause enemies to spawn frequently near Link and attack like crazy, or just make all normal enemies tougher
-If Nintendo wants it to be a survival-like challenge, add the need to eat regularly, or Link will suffer hunger effects - less stamina, actions take more stamina, fewer hearts - and eventually, he will starve
-Raw meat needs to be cooked or it will make Link sick. Food will also spoil over time

Any others? Since it costs money, I expect hard mode to be more substantial than just extra damage from enemies.

Gerrard

Arcane
Just port it to PC already, Nintendo, cut the losses.
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom