Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

J1M

Arcane
The hate almost entirely comes from the fact they showed off a demo showing OoT link with better graphics fighting Ganondorf and then we got Wind Waker. There's a lot of money waiting to be had in selling edgy and """realistic""" Zeldas to people.
Like Darksiders 1.

Max Stats

Liturgist
I'm still glad they went with the realistic style for TP, the original plan was for it to be direct sequel to Wind Waker with the cartoon style. While I don't mind Wind Waker's style, I like how most of the Zelda games have their own look that is instantly recognisable.

Oh man, I don'r even want to think of a cel shaded Malo. Kid already is creepy as fuck, toonified he'd be nightmare fuel.

Wind Waker's style was great, and in hindsight was just what that game needed, but people wanted that cool pre-GCrelease tech demo link, and it's good we actually got that too, even if it took a bunch of unwarranted "CELda" whining to get it.

Machocruz

Arcane
I championed non-realism in this very thread. But that character art for Link and those other little shits was a sin. Twilight Princess was indeed ugly though. At least Nintendo had a vision for WW, for how things looked. And the character art in TP was no better. If you look up 'generic animu crap' in the encyclopedia, TP characters will be in the pictures. It's like that thing John Kricfalusi talked about, how animation companies after a certain point came up with rigid formulas for the safest, least descriptive, least idiosyncratic character designs possible, so that Mickey Mouse's ears had to be a specific proportion to his head, and had to have whites so that he looked "friendlier." He was already kind of a generic/bland looking design to begin with, compared to other studios' characters. Anyone who has taste and likes fun though prefers the early MM.

But you have a lot of boring people out there who buy games, go to animated films. Make your AAA game or movie look like Moebius or Vaughn Bode illustrated it and these boring people would have an aesthetic meltdown.

Machocruz

Arcane
Remember how cool explosions in X-Com were? Shaped like skulls. I don't remember anything like that in the supposedly more realistic XCom. So fuck realism (a lot of times at least). Even Hollywood filmmakers don't care about realism, that's why they create those big gasoline explosions instead of how explosion actually look. Because fuck yeah America breh.

Darksiders looks as much as Zelda as I look as Brad Pitt.

Why developers just can't clone Zelda and mass market it's a mystery. There's clearly a big demand for them.

I thought at least the Twilight stuff in TP was pretty inspired. And Ganondorf looked cool enough. I think it could've stood to look a *little* more fantastical, more along the lines of the Wii U tech demo that came out:

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't feel strongly about Wind Waker's ultra stylised art and I was way too young to be butthurt about not having my edgy OoT sequel, but Zelda on the boat was the best and nobody gonna say bad things about my little sailboat with the King of Red Lions. The biggest strength of Zelda is the fact that every game since Majora's they have put serious, serious twists on the formula and that one was easily one of my favourites.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Why developers just can't clone Zelda and mass market it's a mystery. There's clearly a big demand for them.

It's weird how few Zelda clones there have been over the years. The only one that leaps to mind is Alundra, which is great by the way and a worthy successor to ALTTP.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

It's weird how few Zelda clones there have been over the years. The only one that leaps to mind is Alundra, which is great by the way and a worthy successor to ALTTP.

There's Oceanhorn (started on mobile, but now also on PC).

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I think Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom could pass as well. The new Arkham Batman games were also influenced by Zelda and Metroid to a point - although I think they are vastly overrated and fail miserably when it comes to level design.

Last edited:

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
People thought and still think that Darksiders was the finally the long awaited "Dark/mature/ Zelda" for some reason. Retarded.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Anyway, back to Breath of the Wild.
6vn7u5wzmtky.png

So I admit I was skeptical of this game at first, but Breath of the Wild won me over. It's not my favourite Zelda game, but it's a lot better than Skyward Sword or A Link Between Worlds.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Those dragons are pretty cool. I fought the corrupted one last night on top of a mountain using a combination of air gusts, paragliding, and arrows. It was like a boss fight but it wasn't one. The complaints with the dungeon bosses can be slightly written off in that respect. I have about 50 hours in the game thus far. I'm making my way to the Sheikah Towers to clear the map up to make exploring easier. I'm near the second Guardian, but I want to upgrade some more. I found some evil statue that took one of my hearts away, some faggot trying to challenge me to a foot race like in Ocarina, a maze island that looks to be right out of the original LoZ, a dude selling bokogoblin masks, among many other things. The side quests are varied enough to keep me entertained for some time with the damn seed/shrines to hunt down especially. I'm not much of a completionist, but this game might make me do it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Man, for a moment I thought you were in the desert and the breath vapor was visible because it's night, and I was super impressed by the attention to detail. Then I realized that's snow and not stars.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I found some evil statue that took one of my hearts away
It's a heart/stamina respec mechanic, talk to the statue again to get the heart back.

Man, for a moment I thought you were in the desert and the breath vapor was visible because it's night, and I was super impressed by the attention to detail. Then I realized that's snow and not stars.
It does get cold in the desert during the night tho. There's breath vapor and cold defense is required.

bonescraper

Draksiders games are great. But i don't get why people call them "dark/mature Zelda". There's plenty of dark and mature action-adventure games like Zelda, you faggots forgot Soul Reaver? Shadowman?

Gerrard

Arcane
It does get cold in the desert during the night tho. There's breath vapor and cold defense is required.
That's fantastic.

Jimquisition just gave a 7.0 to BOTW, making the average going to a shameful 97: http://www.thejimquisition.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review/

The funniest part is that he gave 9.5 to Horizon.
Of course he did, people call him a cuck for a reason.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Man and I kinda liked him at times. That sorry motherfucker blew his load over so much trash and now...

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jimquisition just gave a 7.0 to BOTW, making the average going to a shameful 97: http://www.thejimquisition.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review/

The funniest part is that he gave 9.5 to Horizon.

These popamoles are the reasons why we cant have good things.

I have read the review, and the verdict is utterly biased towards his own complaints with the game rather than pointing out which are the clear design's flaws. Let's see:

- He complains about the stamina bar being a hindrance since almost every action consumes stamina while traveling (running,swimming etc.). Seems like He never uses shrines to teleport and navigate across the map or take advantages of heights with the paragliding, or create pillars of ice instead of swimming, etc.

- He complains that certain enemies can one-shot you and are capable to take quite a beating in order to be eventually defeated with crappy gear (Gothic style). And dismiss this as a cheap way to increase difficulty, unlike "Dark Souls" just as he was waiting that moment to mention it, dark fucking souls, a game where bosses usually unleash a furry of relentless hard hitting attacks and have very small windows of opening. It's just like there are not simple ways to deal with them, like, I don't know, blocking with a shield (which doesn't consume stamina by the way), perform timed dodges, use the environmental hazards and explosives to your advantage or just wait until you find some decent gear. Also, He forgot to mention enemies can be resourceful, dunkey's video clearly shows this is true for example.

- He complains about weapon's degradation, the favorite zelda botw detractors subject. I personally find this complain like whining about the legend of grimrock II hunger meter. Weapons are plentiful and you can make octoroks eat them to renew the weapons.

- He complains that the difficulty of the alternatives paths towards your main objective (which is ganon) is heavily influenced by how far you progress across the "predefined" path (which are the four guardians) and how many shrines you solve to get stronger. I don't really know what to say about this one, sounds like he expected that going straight to the tougher parts of the game with 3 hearts and meager stamina bar was going to be as easy as clearing the main quest of a Bethesda game with a low level character.

- He complains about the shrines as the only way to perma increase your health and stamina gauge. What exactly did he wanted in that case then? To find powerups like candy everywhere?.........

Wait a second, he gave Fallout 4 a 9,5/10?. Well, that does it. Zero credibility.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Exactly. He bashes the easy targets it seems like all the shitty indies. Now his bullshit is easier to see. That 7 score might just be the most bullshit thing I have seen a reviewer do in a long time. That might also make him a lot of new enemies. Hope the fat fuck starves due to Patreon support drops but it will probably go up.

A user named cat

Please stop paying attention to that bloated cenobite or what his opinions are on anything.

NP6KcrQ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom