Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Legend of Sword and Fairy aka Chinese Paladin

Nostaljaded

Savant
...Anyway it seems that the folders in the patch you download from romhackinmg has mixed the [win] and [dos] folders. The [win] folders where the ones that worked for the dos version I found, and it's definitely the dos version, it has the simple 2D intro and not the 3D rendered ones of the 98' version.

Anyway, since it's a fucking hassle to find the dos version I've upload it here...

The [win] and [dos] folders are correct.
(I do checked my zip is at the right position.)

You are sharing a zombified, buggy package.
(Everything is thrown into the pot and Frankenstein(s) will appear in various forms in-game. Can be easily check by the absence of the New Equip & Status screen layout.)

readme.txt said:
- PalDOS ENG support (applicable only to 'SDLPal International' fork...

'It' is missing within your publicly-exposed zip.
(The 'Unofficial EXE Direct Download' links is already provided in the first post.)

Please surgically fix/remove your grossed package. ;)

palmusicfan

Novice
Anyway it seems that the folders in the patch you download from romhackinmg has mixed the [win] and [dos] folders. The [win] folders where the ones that worked for the dos version I found, and it's definitely the dos version, it has the simple 2D intro and not the 3D rendered ones of the 98' version.
Now SDLPal does not play the video clips of the Win95 version because the Windows AVI format is not cross platform friendly. We don't want to integrate something like ffmpeg.
Actually, you can buy the DOS version from Apple App Store. Just use desktop iTunes to download the ipa, extract it as a zip file, then you get the game with a soundtrack disc image.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This shit is driving me crazy. I ended up using the freely available win98 version and applied the English patch. If I run it from its original exe, I get this:

K9yb2p5.png

If I use the unofficial exe provided in the first post, I get this:

5pljwf3.jpg

The translation now is different and much worse. Does the unofficial exe include an older version of the translation?

palmusicfan

Novice
The translation now is different and much worse. Does the unofficial exe include an older version of the translation?
Sdlpal.exe does NOT include any dialog. The official pal.exe just loads the dialog from the original game files, while our sdlpal.exe can load dialogs and other messages from MESSAGE FILE like m_eng.txt (just open it with something like Notepad++ and you can read every dialog).
In this patch, there are translated original game files for the official pal.exe and translated MESSAGE FILEs for sdlpal.exe. It seems that the dialoigs are not the same.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Heh, so it seems that the translated original files from the patch have a revised translation which is much improved but if you want to use the enhanced .exe than you get a crappy translation that's found in the .txt file. Oh well, I wasted too much time already with this.

Nostaljaded

Savant

readme.txt said:
A better translation of the actual opening scene is implemented in 'SDLPal International' fork to showcase flexible dialog lines feature.

I was the one who did the 'different and much worse' opening scene.

For the screenshot you posted,
---------------------
Terracotta Characters:
李大娘:
李逍遙!你皮癢啊?
敢說老娘是什麼鬼婆!

Original (using Whistler's WIN SDLPal):
Li Xiaoyao!
How dare you say I'm a demoness!!!

'different and much worse' translation (using SDLPal International fork):
Li's Aunt:
Li Xiaoyao!
Do you wanna get smack?
[CLEAR MESSAGE]
How dare you say I'm a demoness!!!
---------------------

Please read the opening scene (or at least press 'enter' one more time in-game to view the same 'demoness' text) before coming to a conclusion...
Use palmusicfan's instructions to do a full opening scene text comparison.

ghostdog said:
This shit [patching the DOS version] is driving me crazy.

My guess for your previous mangled DOS version:
In order to force the game to run using Whistler's WIN SDLPal exe, you have patched the [win] folder.

Patching DOS uses same instructions as the WIN version.
The only additional requirement for DOS is that SDL International fork exe (aka Official/Unofficial exe) MUST be used, not Whistler's DOS SDLPal exe.
readme.txt said:
- PalDOS ENG support (applicable only to 'SDLPal International' fork, not motivated to copy over 10k lines line-by-line for original SDLPal DOS support)

To differentiate between the 2 ENG versions:
WIN has the below opening line, while DOS version does NOT
Translation by "PalFans" v3.1

ghostdog said:
...I wasted too much time already with this.
In short, you have failed your level check.
(Or could have just waited for either palmusicfan or my reply on the issues you have encountered.)

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Please read the opening scene (or at least press 'enter' one more time in-game to view the same 'demoness' text) before coming to a conclusion...
I went through all the text of the intro with the second translation and I played a bit more afterwards. My guess is you tried for a word to word translation but failed to actually make it sound like natural English.

Do you wanna get smack?
This part just speaks for itself, but it's probably just a typo, I mean it's obvious it should have been "smacked". The rest of your translation is full of weird syntax and phrasing. It looks like machine translation. The old translation isn't great, but it reads much better.
example:
new translation:
46CV9kt.jpg
OJmchZS.jpg

yUsFrQS.jpg

^This is just bad English. At least the old translation flows somewhat more naturally and it's much less wordy:
7ZxfcsI.png

oMulwuo.png

In short, you have failed your level check.
You probably mean I have failed my [int] skill-check :)

But anyway, as I've said above I have already patched and played the win98 version, I was just baffled with the different translations between running the original exe and the new one.

So far I've been playing with the original exe. Is there a way to use the old translation with the enhanced exe?

palmusicfan

Novice
My guess is you tried for a word to word translation but failed to actually make it sound like natural English.
It is appreciated if you are interested in make it sounds like natural English. :)
Is there a way to use the old translation with the enhanced exe?
Yes! Actually, the enhanced International Fork version surely supports the original game files. Open the sdlpal.cfg with a text editor, delete "MESSAGEFILENAME=m_eng.txt", save file, and everything is OK.

Now let me explain.

The original design of the game limits the amount of text rows strictly. You can not easily add new text rows to the game. The English translation do need more text rows, or you have to drop a lot of information.
We have enhanced the International version with the External MESSAGE File system, so now you can easily add more text rows to the dialogs.

We have a makemessage.py tool to make a MESSAGE File from the original game files. It requires Python2. You can find it here: https://github.com/louyihua/sdlpal/blob/master/makemessage.py

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks but deleting the line "MESSAGEFILENAME=m_eng.txt" makes it crash.

palmusicfan

Novice
Please copy MUS.MKF to the game folder. It is the original FM BGM pack. Yes, SDLPal can play FM BGM for the Win95 version.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I think there is something wrong with your game files.
Please download a clean Win95 version here: http://update1.baiyou100.com/resource/Pal98rqp.zip
This is the version I'm using. I download it again and re-installed it just in case, but it's the same. I'm using the unofficial exe provided in the first post, could this be the problem? I don't have the means to compile louyihua's offical sdlpal exe.

Nostaljaded

Savant
This part just speaks for itself, but it's probably just a typo, I mean it's obvious it should have been "smacked".
Yes, a very basic mistake.

ghostdog said:
I went through all the text of the intro with the second translation and I played a bit more afterwards. My guess is you tried for a word to word translation but failed to actually make it sound like natural English...
...The rest of your translation is full of weird syntax and phrasing. It looks like machine translation. The old translation isn't great, but it reads much better.

Thank you for doing a proper critique.

That's how it will (usually) end up when trying to retain the full meaning of the original passage.
Phrases used in 1 language does not have a natural equivalent for another of the same meaning , especially when the 2 languages do not share a common history.

If it's a machine translation, I would not have expended my time and effort to doing a 'better' translation for just a couple of lines.

readme.txt said:
A better translation of the actual opening scene is implemented in 'SDLPal International' fork to showcase flexible dialog lines feature.
'Better' here is subjective.

My objective for the opening scene re-translation is to showcase the flexible dialogue lines feature and, to a lesser extent, to show how much naunces have been lost in translation. Even more than a typical Jap to Eng translation as Chinese has very compact writing and lesser foreign language influences.

ghostdog said:
Is there a way to use the old translation with the enhanced exe?
The rest (after gaining keyboard control of the main character) is the same, except for 1 poetry.

The differences are all listed in this section:
readme.txt said:
##########
As Chinese is a very compact language, so there's bound to be lost-in-translation (formerly due to character width limitations, now alleviated by 'SDLPal International' fork).
##########

Feel free to do a critique on that poetry after you have a 2-character party.

palmusicfan did a sweet summary. :thumbs up:

ghostdog said:
This is the version I'm using. I download it again and re-installed it just in case, but it's the same. I'm using the unofficial exe provided in the first post, could this be the problem? I don't have the means to compile louyihua's offical sdlpal exe.
Just use the unofficial exe (compiled by palmusicfan), to continue the game, the only difference left is that 1 poetry.
(which btw is also the recommended version stated in readme.txt)

I've lost count of how many times I've mentioned 'readme.txt'.
You failed in reading 'readme.txt' skillcheck.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Will they just steal the PAL98 fan translation or what? Can't be that different from PAL XP

The current translation quality may not even be at an amateur level. IMO, it's not even completed. :D
So even if they do a wholesale copypaste, there's still a lot of polishing to do before they could (reasonably) put it up for sale.

Moreover, they will most likely use this as a base instead,
https://sites.google.com/site/fairyswordinfo/project

Not sure what's Softstar is up to with the remake version since it's already Greenlit.
They could just slap Steam's DRM and then release the Traditional Chinese version to gauge the market response...

P.S. Would be nice if someone with Steam access to post the romhacking link (link in 1st post) to the 'Request for English version' thread.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/343475453/617320083261725445/

Thanks in advance, dexer.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Can't they just copy paste the completed fan translation from http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2441/ ? How different is PAL DOS/95/98 script from XP?

They could use the translation if they want to since it's all sitting pretty in txt format, as long as they ask for permission and do a proper crediting.

Should be very similar. Can't verify as I've banished Pal XP from my drive due to its slower combat and IMO inferior character portraits.

palmusicfan Any comments on how different is PAL DOS/95/98 script from XP?

Thanks felipepepe for the Steam post. :)

Ok this looks amazing. I apparently missed this.

Thanks to palmusicfan Nostaljaded for bringing this. Downloaded pal98 chiense game, paleng_v3.1 and sdlpal_int_r179 (readymade exe...want to start playing this as SOON as possible and not wait to dld ms vs 2013 compile and other stuff). I hope I am not screwing this up. Incase the unofficial exe fucks up, the saved games can be continued over from the source code compiled version right?

felipepepe any other old rpgs translated fully? I got MrRichard999 Wizardry Gaiden 4, and tried quite a few from list of wapanese translated games. Any other recommendations? (TB RPGs only. preferably TB blobbers but tactical rpgs and classic jrpgs also OK)

Also wasn't there a stick thread which was recommending games like energy breaker, dark law meaning of death, rudra etc (maybe difficult games or unique magic systems don't recall really. it was started by @spekkio )? I cant seem to find it.

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
Incase the unofficial exe fucks up, the saved games can be continued over from the source code compiled version right?
The original & all SDLPals (SDL1-based, SDL2-based & SDLPal International) exes are savegame-compatible.

Chaotic_Heretic said:
Also wasn't there a stick thread which was recommending games like energy breaker, dark law meaning of death, rudra etc (maybe difficult games or unique magic systems don't recall really...)? I cant seem to find it.
This one?
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/old-obscure-underrated-jrpgs.84254/

Incase the unofficial exe fucks up, the saved games can be continued over from the source code compiled version right?
The original & all SDLPals (SDL1-based, SDL2-based & SDLPal International) exes are savegame-compatible.

Chaotic_Heretic said:
Also wasn't there a stick thread which was recommending games like energy breaker, dark law meaning of death, rudra etc (maybe difficult games or unique magic systems don't recall really...)? I cant seem to find it.
This one?
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/old-obscure-underrated-jrpgs.84254/
thanks for the clarification.
as for the sugesstion thread its not this one. whike this has some goon suggestikns but dark law and treasure of rudra not in there. i recalled a old snes jrpg but cant recall it wgich was in that thread. oh well busy with chinese palladin anyway.

palmusicfan

Novice
palmusicfan Any comments on how different is PAL DOS/95/98 script from XP?
As I know, New PAL is based on a totally different engine by DOMO (another team of SOFTSTAR). I know few about the script format of this engine.

P.S. There are now official iOS and Android ports of this fantastic 2D engine. YES! We have New PAL for iOS!

chongjasmine

Novice
I really enjoyed the storyline of chinese paladin.
Played it when it first came up in its original language.
As I am a chinese myself.

I really enjoyed the storyline of Chinese paladin.
Played it when it first came up in its original language.
As I am a chinese myself.

Yeah China has some very great flawed gems for RPGs. Playing Chinese Paladin now and its quite good.

Also wish Tales of Wuxia had a decent translation. I gave up playing it once Year 4 starts as much of the nuance was lost on me.

MrRichard999 The jrpg i forgot about while looking for the thread? It was Oriental blue for the GBA.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

The 2001 remake will be released on Steam in next month:

*** This game is only available in Chinese language ***

For those who don't read Random JRPG News thread, they're releasing other recent-ish games in the series on Steam:

Chinese language only for all.

Jinn

Arcane
:necro:

The 2001 remake will be released on Steam in next month:

For those who don't read Random JRPG News thread, they're releasing other recent-ish games in the series on Steam:

Chinese language only for all.

I want all of these in english so bad.

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
I'm waiting for the next official release of SDLPal for the next ENG translation update.

Next release changelog:
v3.20 (by Nostaljaded)
- Included win32 SDLPal mingw build
- Simplified other language installation instructions
- Updated SDLPal official sourcecode link & other links
- Other minor text cleanups @ 50% [previously @ 40%]

Rate this post (with whatever rating) to indicate interest for an unofficial ENG update.
Will upload if there's sufficient interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom