Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel II Released

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Crooked Bee, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Here's a random question: did you guys play through the Trails in the Sky series with a controller or with keyboard and mouse? I played through Trails in the Sky FC exclusively with a controller, but I've been using keyboard and mouse a little in SC and kind of like it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Parrots:
    Mouse and keyboard every time with TiTS. With Cold Steel games I used a controller.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Gearmos Novice

Gearmos
    Parrots:
    Trails in the Sky and Zero no Kiseki User Interface are designed for PC, so you should play them with m+k. On the other hand, Ao no Kiseki and Cold Steel UIs are designed for console, so a controller is recommended. However, you can play XSEED PC ports with k+m or controller. I've played Sky games on PSP and Cold Steel with k+m on PC and they're perfectly playable.

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    Xbox 360 Controller for all the Trails games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Naesaki Novice

Naesaki
    Parrots:
    PS3 / PS4 controller all the way for me, much more comfortable when I can sit in a big comfy chair and use the steam link to play.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    Parrots:
    This is exactly where I am right now, and the game has me hook, line, and sinker. Even with the JRPG tropes abound.
    Show Spoiler
    And the obvious FF7 homage with the school play.:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:
    Estelle is such a qt when she's flustered.:love: Game is a bit disappointing as a combatfag though, apparently I already have the best attack spell in the game in White Gehenna. Are the Cold Steel games better for combatfags, or more of the same? I like the game, but I don't know if I can do 5 games if combat never expands into something a little more complex or challenging.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Somberlain Arcane Zionist Agent

Somberlain
    Parrots:
    All the best combat encounters in TiTS FC are in the final chapter. TiTS SC and 3rd are overall better combatfag games and they have more complex encounters throughout the whole game. Cold Steel games have some added combat mechanics, making it more complex, but also more exploitable. TiTS games are more balanced in that way :balance:

I think the combat plays out best on nightmare difficulty since it forces you to change some brute force tactics that work on normal and hard but not on nightmare. Such as keeping your party members in a tiny cluster and spamming Earth Wall + AoE healing.

• Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Hard can be extremely difficult in even the most basic encounter. Trails in the Sky games are some of the most challenging JRPGs I've played, besides some instances in SMT series.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Urthor Learned Patron

Urthor
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    TITS SC was a remarkably shitty game for combat fags. Most of the bosses were basically giant health walls and you rarely altered your optimal DPS strategy and simply reapplied that for round after round to whittle down a giant health mountain, which is actually the worst form of turn based combat. The additional forms rarely changed the spam heals and damage model.

First and third were mildly better, but they are not Tacticool by any stretch of the imagination.

You definitely need a controller for cold steel, Trails in the Sky either or.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    Work on the Trails from Zero fan translation patch continues.

• incline incline x 4
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    Parrots:
    Show Spoiler
    Just finished the Martial Arts Tourney and the subsequent story progression
    and I'm starting to get some serious endgame vibes. Am I crazy or is this game's plot eerily similar to
    Show Spoiler
    Suikoden V? Everything from the political plot to steal the monarchy via marriage, the big combat tournament, even the weapons of choice for characters seem oddly similar. Joshua is / was obviously part of some assassin group just like Lyon and uses the exact weaponry those fuckers used in S5. Estelle is basically the Prince, but more masculine, and Cassius is even more of a Gary Sue than Ferid in terms of how diesel he's supposed to be. It's seemed fairly obvious from Chapter 3 that Kloe is the Princess, and basically everyone is a villain at this point. I just hope they don't fuck it up with some supernatural nonsense to absolve / explain the antagonists.

In terms of combat...are Arts supposed to completely dominate Attacks, and even Crafts in most cases? Seems like 3 magic users and Zin to spam Taunt and Earth Wall is the way to go? Also, having a Shield 3 on each member in the Party adds so much sturdiness I hardly ever heal.

• Hoo Hoo x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)